Vision inhibition - aghhhh I can't see

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a meeting this morning about 90 miles form home so I stayed over in a hotel last night. I rode up in the dark, set off at 8pm. It wasn't raining but the road was quite wet, dirty and very busy. The A34 is a dual carriageway with trucks overtaking at a differential speed of 1mph with a long line of frustrated cars behind. All the crap on the road gets thrown up to our level by the truck and car tyres in front.

So my visor, which was thoroughly cleaned before I left, first got dirty about 5 miles from home. When I couldn't see very well I gave it a wipe with my glove. OMG!!! I'm doing 80 in the dark, trucks, bright lights everywhere and suddenly all I can see is 20 yards ahead through a layer of smeared grime.

Visibility was so bad I missed the first layby and had to wait 5 miles until the next. Luckily I was carrying a v-sponge which is a little wet v shaped sponge in a bag. That cleared my visor up no problem.

Basically I had to stop twice again on that trip as my visibility was so poor. It was only when actual rain (drizzle) started to fall that I could confidently wipe my visor with my glove and clear some of it away.

So, a fun ride but not without a few moments of sheer terror!

Here's the bike before the off:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Defo mate,

It creates a horrible mist. It is really the only condition I don't like riding in.
As I wear glasses I am double screwed :eek:, as soon as the visor comes up the gigs get splattered.

Nelly

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You mean like this?

txtomd5.jpg

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Someone needs to come up with a portable vacuum zone generator, that we could mount on top of our helmets, - so that the air pressure alone would stop anything from hitting our visors!!

OK, - I've pinched the idea, - time for the engineers to get to work!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone needs to come up with a portable vacuum zone generator, that we could mount on top of our helmets, - so that the air pressure alone would stop anything from hitting our visors!!

OK, - I've pinched the idea, - time for the engineers to get to work!

I thought that is what the stock screen did..........:Flash:

In the summer I carry a small wet rag in a plastic bag under my seat. If I get really gunked up I have something to clean the visor with.

Steve

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a wet rag stuck under my windscreen after that night so I could wipe on the road. Lucky I did because I kept getting hit in the face with grasshoppers the next day.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Luckily I was carrying a v-sponge which is a little wet v shaped sponge in a bag. That cleared my visor up no problem.

I've got one of those. They rock. When it wears out, you can buy one of [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/JML-5020044770276-Magic-Eraser-V1352/dp/B00097ECGM"]these[/ame] and cut it up to make another 20 for under £4. It's exactly the same! :)

Also, if you don't have one already, these are good for quickly wiping crap off your visor when riding.