Rider Height Vs. Bike Size For New Rider

thelittlet

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all.

After riding my friends '05 SV650 for the past couple of months, I'm looking to purchase my own bike. I felt like that bike was not so overwhelming in power ( I'm a first time rider), and delivered a comfortable ride.

He tried to sell it to me but I'm sold on the looks of the FZ6. Not ever having ridden one (FZ6), would that bike be comparable in terms of size (ride height) and power distribution to an SV650? Also, I'm 6'2 @ 195 lbs. Would an FZ6 be a bit to small for me?

And yes, I know I should go test ride one. I'm currently in Afghanistan so that is out of the question; I'm just trying to get an idea for when I return home.

Any Info would be helpful. Thanks!

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is a pretty tall bike. Short people have found it too tall, but a lot of us are 6' plus and it's perfect.

It's a very forgiving bike if you're a relatively big guy.

As far as power, I believe the SV650 is a twin or Vtwin which isn't going to be as powerful as an equivelant CC inline 4.

notjohndavid

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all.

After riding my friends '05 SV650 for the past couple of months, I'm looking to purchase my own bike. I felt like that bike was not so overwhelming in power ( I'm a first time rider), and delivered a comfortable ride.

He tried to sell it to me but I'm sold on the looks of the FZ6. Not ever having ridden one (FZ6), would that bike be comparable in terms of size (ride height) and power distribution to an SV650? Also, I'm 6'2 @ 195 lbs. Would an FZ6 be a bit to small for me?

And yes, I know I should go test ride one. I'm currently in Afghanistan so that is out of the question; I'm just trying to get an idea for when I return home.

The FZ6 has almost 50% more power than the SV650 does. In addition to that the FZ6 is a inline 4 which doesn't have the even power distribution that the SV650 does. The SV650 is going to be predictable in it's power deliver as you roll the throttle. I'll admit that I've scared the $h1t out of myself a couple times on the FZ6 when it puts down more power than I thought I was going to get.

So that's my take on it. I give you props for questioning how the FZ6 compares to something you know. Obviously you won't know for sure until you ride one. I'd like to make a recommendation that yuo not focus on the looks of a bike when choosing your first bike. My first bike was a Suzuki GS500 and I'm very thankful that it was. It really taught me how to ride. I went on a group ride with a friend after purchasing the FZ6 and said "you know this is really my first time riding on a twisty road so I'm going to be slow." He said "alright, no prob" after the ride he said "you know, I've riden with a lot of people and a lot of them were a lot slower than you... and you're riding this section for the first time!" I really attribute that to starting small and getting the basics of riding down on the GS500.

You've said that you have riden the SV650 for a bit. I don't really know your history as far as how much you've riden but what I'm trying to get at is be logical about your purchase of your first bike and don't do it based on emotions or a feeling you get when you look at a bike.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of the FZ6. Just trying to help you make an informed decision and one that's a good one for you.

I also would recommend that you read this thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read.html

It'll help think about your first bike versus "feel"

Also, :welcome: to the forum

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site

I agree with the comments above.

The FZ was my second bike, and I love it. I am 6'-7" and 245lbs, and I am pretty comfortable on the bike. This was the most comfortable bike that I sat on around my area next to the Honda VFR 800, but I did not have that kind of money. The next comparable would be the Kawasaki ninja 650r and then the SV650. I was told to get a cruiser due to my size, but I like my feet under me instead of in front of me, so the FZ was the way to go for me. The FZ was one of the taller bikes out there, but it boils down to what you are comfortable on.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'7" on a good day. The FZ is no problem for me. I think it would be a fine starter bike as long as you keep the rpm's below 8k it is a very tame machine but as your riding skills inprove you can explore the fun in the upper rpm's. Start out with a good deal on a used FZ, I would not buy a new bike for learning cause if you do not like it - sell it.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Seat Height for a few different bikes

Honda VFR 800 - 31.7 in.
Suzuki SV650 - 31.5 in.
Yamaha FZ6 - 31.3 in.
Kawasaki Ninja 650r - 31.0 in.

I know the seat height is not the only comparison, but might help you see the difference between the SV and the FZ as far as ride height.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
6'3" here...you'll be fine.

You will notice that it feels a lot more top heavy than the SV....SV is probably a better beginner bike. FZ isn't the worst first bike....

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First off, Welcome! :welcome: and thanks for your service. :thumbup:

Bottomline up front: With the FZ6 you'll be good to go! Drive on!

Stay safe.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
On FZ6 you should be more than fine. Am 6'3'' 210LBs and I fit like a glove. This was my first bike that I have learned on, and basicly tought my self how to ride two weeks before the MSF class I took. I just could not wait.
I rode SV650 afterwards and if felt a whole lot slower but for some reason felt a little more nible in the corners. Great bike don't get me wrong, but FZ6 is much better overall.
Good luck.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Seat Height for a few different bikes

Honda VFR 800 - 31.7 in.
Suzuki SV650 - 31.5 in.
Yamaha FZ6 - 31.3 in.
Kawasaki Ninja 650r - 31.0 in.

I know the seat height is not the only comparison, but might help you see the difference between the SV and the FZ as far as ride height.

Be careful when looking at stats like that though. My SV sits "lower" than Rob's FZ because of the width of the seat. The SV seat is more narrow, thus my feet touch better than on the FZ. Given that your height isn't a concern, however, I wouldn't be worried about that.

That being said, I agree with all the above statements, the SV is a more evenly distributed power (and I would argue more low-end torque), the FZ has more overall power, and both are relatively forgiving (though I would have preferred a V-twin over an inline 4 to learn on).

Not knowing how much experience you have on the SV is also something I think you should keep in mind. Go with used - whatever you get - and buy something that you are comfortable on and happy with, because that will be a bike you hold onto for a while.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I am 6'2" and two hundred....mumble mumble pounds :D And I fit just fine on the FZ.

And like Top said,"Thanks for your service!"

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ-6 was my first bike too, just be careful with the throttle and you should be okay. I do wish I had a bit more leg room, but I'm 6'5" and a rather unflexible 49 years old; as you can see I kinda dwarf the thing:
BotchPokerRun.jpg

(don't get me started on my experience doing the Figure-8 in the MSF course, with the little 250cc's horn button jammed into my knee while I rode out of the damn box...). :rolleyes:

Get home safe, okay? :thumbup:

thelittlet

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I have a much better picture of what the bike will offer and I'm REALLY glad to
see that there are a bunch of 6'+ riders without any complaints.

I won't be able to get on here much for the next several months but I hope to be back (and with a bike :rockon:;) ).

Looking to move to santa barbara in the summer: hope to carve up some roads with some people on here some day :rockon::rockon::D

Stay safe everyone and thankyou!

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone tell me if the height of the rear spring (is pre-load the correct term?) can be adjusted up/down?

Sorry to bum off your thread thelittlet... :D

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
Spring preload is not a height adjustment; it's used to set sag.

If you're new to bike suspensions, it's worth it to find a local suspension shop to set it for you (and talk you through what they're doing). It shouldn't be much money or time to have it done.

jpainter187

Reaction score
Visit site
So are you saying that the ride height isn't something that can be easily adjusted on the FZ6?

My brother just bought a Kawasaki Versys and the ride height can be raised/lowered fairly easily. So I was just wondering because I wish my FZ6 sat an inch or two higher...

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're a reasonably sized human and haven't changed the stock settings on your bike, it probably isn't set up properly for you; getting that done is worth the small amount of time and money, and might take care of your issue. You can ask at that point about options for you. The stock components might be too soft for you, or might be fine and just not set right.

Once that's done, you can look at comfort adjustments. Minor up/down adjustments are often best done by adding or subtracting seat foam.

Dunno if you have anyone like this in Texas, but this dude was great for sculpting seats when I lived up in Seattle:
Rich's Custom Seats

saveitk

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'6" and it fits me fine.. I am 'tall' in the legs.. not torso. It's comfortable for me, on the verge of being a LITTLE too small, but not bad at all.. At 6' 2" should be fine.
Hey all.