Boot Suggestions?

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I am wanting to buy some good boots for riding around town and everyday use (I would be riding around town while working, for example). If they were normal boots, they would definitely would be over the ankle, steel toe, etc. Do ya'll have any specific suggestions? What should I look for in a good boot? I'd be looking primarily at work boots, but would consider a motorcycle boot that would fit my needs. Thanks for your suggestions! :D

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Get a good pair of riding boots. Don't bother using work boots. If you get anything other than black, you're gonna get them dirty, and either way they're going to wear too much.
Riding boots typically have stirdy ankles, and protection all around, especially where the shifter would be.

I'm not a big fan of tall 12" boots so I bought a pair of Alpinestars S-MX2's, they cover the ankle, but not the entire calf
Alpinestars S-MX 2 Motorcycle Boots :: New Enough, LTD

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a good pair of riding boots. Don't bother using work boots. If you get anything other than black, you're gonna get them dirty, and either way they're going to wear too much.
Riding boots typically have stirdy ankles, and protection all around, especially where the shifter would be.

I second that. Used to ride with work boots, don't think I will ever go back to them again. I have the 07' version of these. Same boot, just a different sole. Sidi Way Mega Rain Boots - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

Decent protection, waterproof..a bit on the chilly side but otherwise happy with them.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Good motorcycle boots usually have a sole that has better grip, very helpful when placing a foot down on that gunk(oil, sand etc.) at stop signs.

W

wrightme43

I work 11 hour days in these standing up on concrete. They are very comfy. They are resoleable at a shoe repair as well.

Sidi B-2 Boots - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

I wear a 9.5 US and in these a 43 fits perfect. I use dr.sholes gel heal cup inserts and they feel perfect. Actually the most comfortable pair of shoes I own.

I have crash tested them and they did thier job perfectly with minor rash on the ankle, outerfoot, and toesliders. Zero damage to my body after sliding from the inside of a righthander all the way to the dirt on the outside of the other lane and up the road at the same time.

Highly reccomended as a excellent all around boot. I go on hikes in the woods of Mammoth cave after riding there most of the day.

Just a outstanding product that does exactly what it is supposed to do.

shamrocker

Reaction score
joshisingreenville.blogspot.com
I work 11 hour days in these standing up on concrete. They are very comfy. They are resoleable at a shoe repair as well.

This is awesome to know. I checked out all of the reviews and people seem to really like them. I was hoping to spend less than that, but obviously these offer better protection for my feet. The Sidi Strada Evo boots are also pretty well liked and might look a little more professional (under my pant leg) at work, too.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I second that. Used to ride with work boots, don't think I will ever go back to them again. I have the 07' version of these. Same boot, just a different sole. Sidi Way Mega Rain Boots - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

Decent protection, waterproof..a bit on the chilly side but otherwise happy with them.

I've been eyeing these as well. I have an older Alpinestars Ridge boot but I wore them out. I ordered this years model and they changed them... and they DON'T FIT! They did away with the full-side zipper. My issue is very wide feet with a very high instep so boots are VERY hard to fit!

I was hoping these would be a warm boot though. The Ridge boots were GREAT in cold! I never wore more than regular tube socks with them, all the way down to 35 degrees.

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Alpinestar SMX-5 for playing and commuting I use a decent work boot and a little different boot that you see targeted more at motocross but it's a great everyday boot for me and comfortable. Called Thor 50-50

I have a high instep and wide foot. check this out....

Thor Motocross 50/50 Boots - Motorcycle Superstore

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
INEXPENSIVE, CONFY, AND SAFE

here is what I have been wearing for the last couple of years

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=111927&cat=34514&page=1

maybe not the best for track... good to wear around but when I am at work in the office I wear a slip on light shoe (that I keep at the office).

I have worn them all day many times and they work great

edit I paid the same price as on this site at a local shop

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of these. Very comfortable but I haven't needed to wear them all day apart from being on the bike.

roam.jpg

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so do you guys always carry extra shoes when you ride? Or are those boots comfy enough to walk around when you get to wherever you're going?

If I plan on walking around quite a bit, or if I'm on a trip then yes I carry a pair of regular shoes.
But if it's just a short trip and whatnot, they're fine to walk around in.
I find them uncomfortable after a few hours of walking though.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I just recently bought a pair of Alpinestars Ridgeboots. I wear a 10.5 US and it fits great. I was also able to test this out in a crash. These boots have CE rated protectors at the ankle area and when I fell in my accident, I believe it really saved me a lot of injury to my ankle which was only sprained. It's a bit pricy than others in its price range, but I think having the proper protection is worth it.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed my attitude on boots when I broke my ankle in a low-speed track crash. I was wearing very sturdy boots, similar to many I see recommended in this thread. However - take a pair of boots, hold the upper in one hand and the foot-part in the other, and try to bend side-to-side. I discovered, in my search for replacement boots, that most boots bend side-to-side like that with just a good hand effort - which means they won't do too much when the weight of a bike is trying to make your foot move in a direction it shouldn't.

Several boots have come out lately that have a rigid plastic structure, internally or externally, that is hinged to allow the foot to bend in the way it should, and keeps the foot from bending in ways it shouldn't. None of them fit me, but if you have reasonably sized feet, check out:

-Daytona Security Evo
-Dainese Axial Race (very nice boot)
-Puma V1000 (my hubby has them - ugly but functional)
-Gaerne GR-S.
-Sidi Vortice.
-Sidi Crossfire SRS. Those would be my first pick if they fit. My hubby has the previous-gen Flexforce, and they have held up to many crashes (dirt and supermoto) without as much as a sprain, and a lot of miles, and are still sturdy and in great shape.

No boot will protect your foot from every crash. But that's a type of force your foot can be subjected to even at low speeds, and that's an angle I want covered on my own feet.

I would not look for boots that work both for the moto and for walking around. With hard bags, you don't have to compromise either foot safety on the bike or foot comfort when walking around, and I don't want to compromise either.

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
harley davidson conductor boots - Live Search Products I've got a pair of these harley boot's in brown and they are 4 years old now and still as comfortable as the day i bought them.i got them at a local western clothing store for $30 cheaper than the harley shop had them listed for.they need to be re-soled now,so i stopped wearing them to work until i get that done,but I could'nt be happier with the protection they provide either.I was showing off on my Yz 250 on the road in front of the house and flipped over backwards doing a wheelie and the left foot peg slammed into my left ankle.all I got was a big ol goose egg where without the boot I would have needed several stiches or maybe even surgery.

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
I was hoping these would be a warm boot though. The Ridge boots were GREAT in cold! I never wore more than regular tube socks with them, all the way down to 35 degrees.

I was a lil bummed too as to how cold they were. It was 40, and I had one my heavy wool hiking socks, and within half an hour my toes were hurting :(

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of ICON Superduty II boots. I love them. Great for riding and everyday wear. Not as protective as a full on track boot but better protection with similar look/feel to a work boot. I wear mine most everyday whether riding or not. Takes about a week and some leather conditioner to get them broke in but once they are comfort is great., :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a pair of TCX X-Five boots today.

View attachment 13628

They seemed to fit the best and are totally waterproof. They also have most of the safety features without being a ski or lumberjacks boot :thumbup:

My old boots would stay dry for half an hour in the rain before letting water in (they were waterproof when they were new about 5 years ago).

Last edited: