Good armored vest and jacket back armor?

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not generally a fan of Alpinestars, but their Bionic pressure suit has been the exception; it has an EN1621-2 level 2 back protector, and has held up to a lot of dirt crashin'. It's snug enough to wear under leather.
Bionic 2 Protection Jacket - Alpinestars

For myself, I have Knox armor in my street jacket and my track leathers, and I have a T-Pro EN1621-2 level 2 back protector that goes under whichever I'm wearing. Other back protectors I looked at that met that standard are the Knox Contour (m'boy has that, nice piece) and the Alpinestars Race Shield; neither fit, so I went T-Pro. The Race Shield has a chest pad that integrates with the protector, which is a nice feature.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't commute on the bike anymore, but if I did, I would wear it. It's very comfy, easy to put on and take off, and you quickly forget that you are wearing it...

I do wear it for wkd rides in the canyons and @ the track though...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you :) I don't miss riding the streets of LA too much, and it helps reassure my wife that I am not on the bike in rush hour traffic every single day of the year... as long as I get to ride the canyons on Saturdays, and go to the track every other month, I am happy :rockon:

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
Roadstergal: what's wrong with Alpinestar?

Supertech boots: after less than a year, the velcro is coming off of the fastener at the back, the stitching is coming apart on the exterior leather panels, the left toe slider won't stay on anymore and flies off the moment it touches a curb, and the heels are ground down to almost nothing. I compare that to my hubby's Sidi Flexforce (the previous gen of the Crossfires, and I so wish they came in my size), that have been to Hades and back and crashed a lot along the way; they're still in perfect working order.

The stitching on my only-a-few-months-old Stella GP Plus gloves is also fraying, and the gloves overall are less comfortable and well-made than the Racer High Ends that they're a copy of (Racer High Ends highly recommended, BTW; those are still going after some track crashes and several years of weather and abuse, and I only got the Stellas because they were a screamin' deal and I thought, why not?).

I give both pieces an A for protection, but a D for build quality.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback... I guess I won't be buying their boots and gloves then :) I hate my oxtar boots too... pretty comfy and protection is alright, but they sound like ski boots when I walk around... very loud...

Anyway, I only own an Alpinestar leather jacket and a 1 piece suit and love them both... but now that you mention the stitching issues, I remember that I did have a problem with the stitching of an inside pocket in my jacket, but I fixed it in 5 min, so no big deal...

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the Icon Field Armor Vest based on Wavex's recommendation. The sizes are kind of tricky. I am 5'11" 185 lbs and ordered the Reg/Large size. It feels a little tight on me, so I opted to send it back for the XL size. I like the vest though. I also found this the other night.

Forcefield Extreme Harness Flite

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
^ Oh, now that's just SWEET! I've got the Forcefield back protector (probably the best gear decision I've ever made), but I'd love to have something that incorporated the chest guard like that. I know you can add one for use with the standalone back protector, but to have it all be in one piece like that is pretty cool.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked but I couldn't see how much it weighed? Is it made so that if fits underneath jackets? That's what I would us it for. Don't think I would go riding with just the vest on.

I don't know the exact weight, but it's not heavy... as mentioned above I don't even know it's there after putting it on.
I've never used it without my jacket or one piece suit on top of it... My one piece suit is pretty tight as is, but the armor still fit underneath without an issue. I would not recommend riding with just the vest either, since it has no shoulder or elbow protections... its main purpose being to protect your spine and coccyx...

Last edited:

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
The Icon thing doesn't look CE approved. The forcefield is the one Defy recommended too. CCHousekey, you had a Knoxx Cross shirt right? What happened with that?

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know the exact weight, but it's not heavy... as mentioned above I don't even know it's there after putting it on.
I've never used it without my jacket or one piece suit on top of it... My one piece suit is pretty tight as is, but the armor still fit underneath without an issue. I would not recommend riding with just the vest either, since it has no shoulder or elbow protections... its main purpose being to protect your spine and coccyx...

The one I shipped back including the packaging and box weighed 4 lbs. I woud say that the vest weighs no more than 2 to 2.5 lbs.

jsw4178

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, Johnson is more up-to-date than their own site... :p

(BTW, if you're in the Bay Area and ever need leather repaired, Johnson is the place. They did little things like repair snaps and sew on puck velcro - and big things like repairing leather suits (m'boy's after a track lowside, and mine after a guy lowsided into me and his footpeg ripped a hole in the leg).

Can't beat a Johnson! *ahem*)