My new track bike :D

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
First let me start by saying: THANK YOU Cali_Rider for the hookup! John told me about this bike last weekend, I went to check it out earlier this week, and we are picking it up tomorrow evening (Friday)! :cheer:

It's a black & white '05 GSXR 600, with 20k miles on it. It was never laid down, looks great, and has a new set of tires on it, some flush mount turn signals in the front, an FE kit and LED custom taillight... of course I don't care about all that since the bike will be prepped for the track and not registered...

I just settled the deal on the phone to $1900 (he wanted $2k, I asked for $1800)!!!! Stoked!!

The work I need to do to it:

- re-build the front brake (right now the master cylinder is empty lol), and probably put new pads in there

- oil & filter (it hasn't been changed in over a year, and the bike's been sitting in his garage for about 6months).

- thourough cleaning (maybe even swap if necessary) of the chain and sprockets... it looks like he was not a champion of maintenance...

- troubleshoot some turn signal electrical issues he's been having (even though I won't use the turn signals, I still want to find out where the problem comes from).

- valve adjustment: does anyone know the valve adjustment interval on a gixxer6? I have not had the time to check on that yet...

- re-tighten all bolts on the bike and clean everything thoroughly...

Any other recommendations?

Pics to follow tomorrow... I am excited! :rockon:

flamewulfe

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome find, I've been wanting to do something similar . . . don't forget pics! And oh yeah, what are some of the other things you need to do to make it race ready? I've heard things like removing/safety wiring the kickstand, replacing the antifreeze with Water Wetter, adding drip cups to the vent hoses, replacing the brake fluid with DOT 5, and making sure the exhaust isn't too loud (usually some db requirement) . . .

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Man that sounds cool.. I would love to have a track bike! Sounds like you got a killer deal on it. Post lots of pics asap!:D Oh, and congratulations:thumbup:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woohooo!!! Sounds like a great deal David.

With everyone buying track bikes, we'll have to get Dennis to start a new section... "Tales from the Track".

It's already been said, but...
:needpics:

:thumbup:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a really low price man! Not to be rude, but are you sure the bike wasnt stolen? That is just extreamly low to be in good condition, ie not laid down.

-bryan

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome find, I've been wanting to do something similar . . . don't forget pics! And oh yeah, what are some of the other things you need to do to make it race ready? I've heard things like removing/safety wiring the kickstand, replacing the antifreeze with Water Wetter, adding drip cups to the vent hoses, replacing the brake fluid with DOT 5, and making sure the exhaust isn't too loud (usually some db requirement) . . .

Thanks! Good thing you reminded me of a few things I forgot about:

So my updated list:

- re-build the front brake
- oil & filter
- cleaning chain and sprockets
- troubleshoot turn signal electrical issue
- valve adjustment: find out intervals...
- go over every bolt on the bike
- replace anti-freeze with water wetter
- safety wire the oil plug + oil filter + brake calipers
- remove stock plastics and put race plastics on (so I can always put the OEM plastics back on the bike if I ever want to sell it or make it street legal)
- unplug signals, headlight and taillight

(bear with me I am using this thread as my check list :))

Oh and it still has the stock exhaust, so I am not worried about it being too loud :)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, great price, great bike, i bet you cant wait to get out there and ride the wheels off this thing!

Tinkering with your new toy sounds like it's going to be just about as much fun as riding it.

:rockon:

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet find Dave! I have been casually looking for a track bike too. I need to find a deal like that!:thumbup:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats a really low price man! Not to be rude, but are you sure the bike wasnt stolen? That is just extreamly low to be in good condition, ie not laid down.

-bryan

It is really low indeed... Cali_Rider and I estimated that we could probably sell it for around $4k after fixing the few issues mentioned above and cleaning it up...

It's definitely not stolen though... John knows his oncle personally (good friend), and was around when he bought the bike in '05... The guy has no idea how much it really is worth and doesn't care much because he doesn't want to fix it up anyway, hasn't ridden it in about 6months, and just needs it gone ASAP because he is moving shortly... he mentioned to me that the reason why he is asking for $2k is because that's what's left on his loan :)

In other words, I scored :rockon:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, great price, great bike, i bet you cant wait to get out there and ride the wheels off this thing!

Tinkering with your new toy sounds like it's going to be just about as much fun as riding it.

:rockon:

haha exactly! I just finished the garage, and since there's really nothing more I want to do to the Buell (well, there are a couple of things, but they are minor), the track bike will be a perfect first project in there!! I am indeed almost as excited to work on it, as I am to take it out on the track...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
haha exactly! I just finished the garage, and since there's really nothing more I want to do to the Buell (well, there are a couple of things, but they are minor), the track bike will be a perfect first project in there!! I am indeed almost as excited to work on it, as I am to take it out on the track...

Yep, and i reckon you will learn heaps of new stuff too...i know that is my motivation behind getting a track bike.

Plus it might stop me over investing in my street bike...which is something i reckon you might know a little bit about as well! ;)

Am very jealous of your newly put together workshop...you have done a great job with that, kudos to you mate for putting in the hard yards, and pursuing your interests with such fervour, and commitment.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, and i reckon you will learn heaps of new stuff too...i know that is my motivation behind getting a track bike.

Plus it might stop me over investing in my street bike...which is something i reckon you might know a little bit about as well! ;)

Am very jealous of your newly put together workshop...you have done a great job with that, kudos to you mate for putting in the hard yards, and pursuing your interests with such fervour, and commitment.

I appreciate it Wolfy thanks! You will need a workshop too now, with your soon to be -pink!!!!!- FZ6Cup :)

LOL @ the overspending comment... knowing you and myself, we will NEVER stop spending -too much- money on our bikes... forget it! :D

ok here is what the bike looks like... this is not the actual bike, but it's the same paint job, and is close enough:

2005GSXR600BlackStock.jpg