Clutchless upshifting

deljs

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this good/wise/healthy for the FZ6?
I was just reading this article on Sport Rider Sport Bike Clutchless Upshifting - Riding Skills Series - Sport Rider Magazine, which says its the best way "UNLESS, of course, your bike has some shifting/transmission issues that prevent using this technique."
The owner's manual states that the transmission is not designed for it and don't do it. But I'd assume most sportbike manuals say the same thing.
I've also seen the clutch on the FZ6 isn't exactly the most bulletproof around (compared to my previous experience with my old Kaw SR650 equipped with a Z1 clutch).
Anyone know definitively? Experientially? Guesses?

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not gonna hurt it...as long as you remember to preload-rolloff-upshift-rollon quickly. first to 2nd is always rough-even with the clutch-at high revs, as to a lesser extent is 2nd to third. Everything i've found on it and according to my dealer (who may have been wrong or lying) says that the gears are made from the same material as on the R6, so you don't have to worry too much about wear or breaking teeth.

like steve, i do it all the time. I think its actually better for the bike, it seems much smoother transitioning this way...

S

sportrider

I do it also haven't had a problem. I use the clutch from 1st to 2nd

deljs

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, it sounds quite promising. Will start doing it myself next time out.
Thanks for the advices! Sometimes it takes a village to ride a motorcycle. :wav: :D

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I see the term "preloading the shifter" when talking about shifting...what exactly is meant by that? Do you mean to apply pressure to the lever, but not enough to take it out of gear, in preparation for the shift?

S

sportrider

I see the term "preloading the shifter" when talking about shifting...what exactly is meant by that? Do you mean to apply pressure to the lever, but not enough to take it out of gear, in preparation for the shift?
exactly!!! with the shifter loaded as soon as you roll off the throttle the gear change will happen instantly. just remember to release the shifter after the shift to reset, so your ready for your next shift.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
The fact that the bikes have a chain drive helps the transition, plus the really light motors and strong gears. Bikes that you shouldn't be doing this on are shaft driven bikes like the Goldwing and such, and even some of them allow it.

Just be careful on the 1st 2nd shift, I have lifted my front tire doing this:rockon:, only it was somewhat unpredictable:(

hot4teach

Reaction score
Visit site