The snow is coming

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
any of you guys seeing any of the white stuff yet?
i hear london airport is already closed due to snow..i live less than a mile from the Bristol channel and we never get much snow coverage here

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what makes me laugh is that the whole country will come to a standstill now..all for a few inches..lol

i just hope it doesnt interfere with the delivery of my new zorsts..i was hoping to get them tomorrow :eek:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Got about 8'' in So IL a few days ago, went for a put around town today. The temp broke 40 so I had to go out for a little ride. The streets were pretty much clear, a bit of slush on the backroads.

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Falling steadily this evening as I type here in north east leicestershire. And I've got Wednesday/Thursday off work, was planning on taking my bike on a longish trip, down south through some nice countryside to Wiltshire. :(

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you guys over the pond get real weather/seasons ..we get rain mostly all year round due to the gulf stream..considering the uk is on the same longitude as the northern states and Canada we get very little snow in comparison

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Falling steadily this evening as I type here in north east leicestershire. And I've got Wednesday/Thursday off work, was planning on taking my bike on a longish trip, down south through some nice countryside to Wiltshire. :(
Well you'll just have to stay in and pollish it now instead :Flip:..ill probably be off tuesday as thats when South Wales is apparrently at its worst..we already had an email from my sons infant school saying they wont open..i foresee a day on the wii..lol

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Been snowing off and on since 10am in Sheffield.

Had a run out in to Derbyshire at lunchtime, long time since I have been for a ride when it is snowing. Most roads were really dry so was good fun for most of the run. When front wheel locked on gentle braking decided enough was enough :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9xurIEawFk"]YouTube - Icy conditions FZ6[/ame]

Last edited:

MarkyG57

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well in the Cotswolds as I look out of my window, we have, oh lets see?...........................................................................................
Just about as much of a sprinkle as you'd find on a well know Italian hot coffee drink!!:rolleyes:

I now suppose our recession will turn in to a full blow "Cold War" winter:eek:

I do feel sorry for everyone caught up in the snow, but come on we don't get it like the N/Americas and other Europeans ;)

I think SimonWeb should be ok for his ride later in the week, hope you have heated grips. I'm sooooooooo glad I had them on Sat when I was IAM Observing.

Take care out there

Regards

Mark

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
Usual story in this country, light dusting of snow and the place grinds to a halt!
Sun is shining now so hopefully it will disappear.

Just a light covering down here in dorset anyway... more forecast for tonight so we will see.

I can't believe Airports are shut. However would we manage with the amount of stuff our friends across the water get?

Peter

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
However would we manage with the amount of stuff our friends across the water get?

Peter

A few things make a difference here to over there.

Firstly is the type of snow, or more correctly influences on it. I have driven in a Northern America Winter and the grip is really good compared to what we have, the main reason for this I can only assume is the temperature difference. Over there it was well below freezing, here however it is often hovering around the freezing mark so we get a slushy wet coating on the top, or ice, or both. This makes traction hard to find.

Secondly we don't often get snow fall, many people haven't had to deal with the conditions we occasionally get, when I started driving we usually had a fair amount of snow every year, unlike now, I got my experience when the roads were quieter than they are now so less chance of hitting something. Also the lack of traction/ABS added to the learning experience.

Thirdly because we don't get harsh winters regularly then it would be a waste to have the high tech equipment that can deal with the snow sat around for the odd year when we may get a couple of inch of snow. Not many people have snow tyres, or chains in UK as again the chances are they won't be needed.

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
In Ilford its still snowing. and my black beauty is under snow

3246809525_8dca1c5701.jpg

Last edited:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I got to the office. 30 miles of roads like this. Took 1 1/2 hours though. Nearly didn't get to the top of a couple of hills! The first one is going over watership down

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well we've had nothing of note in Cardiff today..although they did say that tuesday would be when we get ours

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
No worries, I live on the East coast and the rain is here, so should be with you soon. The councils will have used up all their stiock of road grit anyway. Back to normal once more :thumbup: