PowerBronze "Fairing Cut" Frame Sliders

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
So, I finally got the courage together to cut into my lower fairing.
(I made a post about the lower fairing earlier: http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/12228-powerbronze-lower-fairing.html )

First, - the contents of the slider parcel:

picture.php

It also includes some installation instructions.

Now as stated, to install this kit, I will need to cut into my fairing, so heres what I did:

First I took out 3 of 4 bolts the bolts holding the fairing in place:

picture.php

Then I went into the wife's private stash and borrowed a tube of acrylic water based paint (The kind of stuff you do paintings with):

picture.php

I then put some of the paint into the head of a 10mm bolt:

picture.php

Mounted the "paint-bolt" in the frame, screwing it in so it would NOT touch the fairing in any way. Then I remounted the fairing:

picture.php

And using my fingers I unscrewed the bolt till it was hitting the inside of the fairing.

I then unmounted the fairing again (Now having a paint dot on it):

picture.php

Last edited:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
PowerBronze "Fairing Cut" Frame Sliders - Part 2

Got out my 3mm drill and drilled a hole (from the inside) in the centre of the paint dot:

picture.php

After cleaning off the residue paint (a dry cloth does it), I remounted the fairing, and using a flash-light I checked that the 3mm hole was centre on the hole in the frame where the sliders are mounted.
I then took the fairing off again, and started on the 25mm hole(This time drilling from the outside):

picture.php

If you want to play it 110% safe, you should tape up where you are drilling, - that paper painting tape works fine. Just cover the area with tape, so that the hole you are drilling is inside the tape. This will minimize risk of scratching the surrounding plastic.

I then remounted the fairing, and onec again confirmed the hole has in the right place:

picture.php

Time to mount spacers, slider, inserts and the bolt. (Those are rather self-explanatory so no pics)

Afterwards it looks like this:
Spacer between frame and slider, going through the newly cut hole in the Fairing

picture.php

picture.php

All left to do is a repeat on the other side :thumbup:

Last edited:

flamewulfe

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: PowerBronze "Fairing Cut" Frame Sliders - Part 2

What a great idea on using the paint! I probably would've tried to back the bolt out to "scratch" the inside of the fairing, but the paint makes a lot more sense . . . well done!

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
i guess u need a little courage to cut into that expensive plastic....but the end results looks tidy and gonna get more protection from that frame sliders

Nekros

Reaction score
Visit site
I have side fairings just like you but I really really dont want to cut them. Is there anyone online that sells offsets? Anyone have experience with them?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just purchased a used set of the Powerbronze lower fairings, and looked up the Powerbronze sliders.

Alas, they're going to cost me over $120!

As such, I'm looking at some cheaper aftermarket sliders and was wondering if you can tell me the length of the stand-offs please. (between bike frame and slider cap)

I guess, by your drilling a 25mm hole in the fairing, that the shaft is 20mm - 22mm?

Please advise.

Sincerely,
Rick

EDIT: Actually, after looking at it again, it appears the 25mm hole was just for the bolt - and the stand-offs are in two pieces? One bit behind the fairing, and one under the slider cap?

Last edited: