twist of the wrist

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
So far, I have not finished the book from keith code, but I have gleaned 2 very important things that I was able to see where I was doing things wrong on my bike. The 1 thing is throttle control. I seem to get a little scared if i'm too hot in a turn, and will often cut the throttle and pull in the clutch and drop a gear. Not good, I know now to keep the throttle open and lean more, the bike is far more capable than I am. The second is how tightly I grip the bars. Knowing that the bike is perfectly able to go along on its own with no input from me, as long as its going, clamping down on the bars makes the bike really unhappy. I wondered why my hands were falling asleep on not very long rides, and there we go. Being too tight on the bars also gives the bike bad information about what you want to do and can cause an accident. Ok, enjoy.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Very good critical observations on your own driving...best way to get to improve on your riding! :)

Ya just have to relax and focus, at least I do when I find myself tensing up and grabbing the grips too much. I think everyone does it from time to time. Some days I may leave the house and ride so smoothly you'd think I was a pro (joke!!!) and other days you'd swear I couldn't control the bike if my life depended on it. When you find yourself tensing up going around a corner and grabbing the handlebar too much you can pull in and relax or if slowing down and telling yourself to focus helps then do it! :)

Last edited:

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Twist of the wrist is good... I also like total control!

Oh and I think smooth throttle control is particularly important on the FZ.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
True dat on the throttle control. It can be really jumpy if your not smooth. Man, I was taking off in 1st gear, and missed 2nd, when in neutral I had opened the trottle expecting the gears to mesh, so spin spin spin, up into 2nd gear and the rear lashed really hard. Man that sucks. I always feel like I did some terrible damage. This bike seems pretty tough. I guess I better check how much I stretched the chain. :)

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
Apparently Twist of the Wrist II is even better than the first... more geared toward street riding... anyone read it?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Vol-High-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/0918226317]Amazon.com: A Twist Of The Wrist II,Vol II: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding: Books: Keith Code[/ame]

W

wrightme43

Twist II is the one to get. I love it.

Hunter and anybody else. If you want take the slack out of your throttle cable. Its not too hard and it make a huge difference in control. Dont get stupid about it, and get it over tight, but take out the slack so when you crack the throttle it opens now instead of after a little twist. It makes it even easier to use properly.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Hunter and anybody else. If you want take the slack out of your throttle cable. Its not too hard and it make a huge difference in control. Dont get stupid about it, and get it over tight, but take out the slack so when you crack the throttle it opens now instead of after a little twist. It makes it even easier to use properly.

Totally agree. I adjusted the slack out of the throttle aafter about 1000 miles of running. I wish I'd done it earlier, it makes smooth throttle control so much easier.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just read a review of the DVD which said "Don't get the video, its dated and horrible."

The review was in an UK Amazon list, the writer rated the book highly. However, you pays your money, you takes your choice.:thumbup:
Thanks for the head's-up! I won't judge a book/CD/artist/DVD based on one review any more, but if there's a slew of folks that love/hate something, that counts in my book! :thu:

Mike, I've found that every form of transportation has its plusses and minuses. I love farting loudly during hard acceleration! (TMI???) I love my convertible but learned I can't/shouldn't pick my nose at stoplights anymore (yeah WAY TMI!!!!) :D :D :D

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to be clear, and I see I was not, I am reading twist of the wrist 2. And I speed readed total control at my friends house. Wish I could have had more time to absorb, but I did get some good info.