Spy 5000m motorcycle alarm

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
Hopefully this works. I am not sure how to post tube videos on here. ANYWAYS, this is a video I made with the GoPro Hero wide camera to review the Spy 5000m motorcycle alarm I recently installed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBZ_hideg3w"]YouTube - Spy 5000m Review[/ame]

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice vid Wildcard...Everybody will want one of these now.

One point I would mention. If you leave that little led flashing there is a chance it could drain your battery overnight. I found this when my GPS socket had a very small bulb fitted to it. If I left it plugged in overnight it would drain the battery.

Could you post a still photo of your bike taken with your Hero Camera?

Can you transfer the Hero Vid to DVD and play it clearly on a TV ?

Do you have the e-bay link for the alarm because I cannot find it?

Steve

Last edited:

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
This alarm is pretty sweet. Couple of questions:

Does it have a starter Kill with it, so you do not grind the starter if it is remote started and out of habit you hit the start button? What happens if you have it remote started, and someone tries to get on it without the key? Will it kill itself, or can it be ridden? Last, if the alarm is set, can it be cranked with the key?

My truck has remote start, and it has a kill switch on it so that if someone gets in and tries to take off without the key in the ignition, it will kill itself, and will not crank until you turn the alarm off. Also, it has a started kill so that if it is remote started, and you turn the key over it will not grind the starter. Last, if I have the alarm set, you cannot crank it without turning the alarm off first.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice vid Wildcard...Everybody will want one of these now.

One point I would mention. If you leave that little led flashing there is a chance it could drain your battery overnight. I found this when my GPS socket had a very small bulb fitted to it. If I left it plugged in overnight it would drain the battery.

Could you post a still photo of your bike taken with your Hero Camera?

Can you transfer the Hero Vid to DVD and play it clearly on a TV ?

Do you have the e-bay link for the alarm because I cannot find it?

Steve

Here is a link.

eBay Motors: Honda CBR Motorcycle Alarm Engine Start Security System (item 180321248253 end time Jan-27-09 14:36:45 PST)

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
First off...I have let the bike sit for over a week with the LED flashing and it started up no problems. Your GPS may have been charging or still trasmitting even if it was off.

As for grinding the starter, if your bike is on and you sit on it and hit the starter, that is a really strong habit hahah. Also I have hit the starter button before while on and it never...grinded?(ground?)

If it is remote started, you can ride away with it, but it cuts istelf off after 10 minutes. So be smart when you start. (nice rhyme)

And the alarm is SUPPOSED to not start unless you disarm it, even with the key. BUT the way our bike is wired, the switches are all positive driven whereas the alarm runs on a negative system. You can use zener diodes to fix this problem, but instead we used a relay and directly wired it to the starter (so if bike is in gear and I start it the bike will move and fall over so BE CAREFUL) Also, there is a wire in our key that detects if a key is in. We had to bypass that wire in order to let the remote start work.

As for the kill switch, we did not wire that in and so I just leave my kill switch on. Again this is because of the way our bike's wiring is different than how this alarm works.

And if you ever did lose your remote for the alarm and needed to start it, you turn the key on and off 10x and it disarms the alarm.

Now what I mean by our switches/wiring is a positive system, if you hook up a volt meter to the starter switch it will be getting 12v, but once you hit the switch, it negates to 0v. The alarm system outputs 12v, so unless you get a diode and reverse the voltage, you can't really benefit from all its features. Which is why I didn't wire the kill switch and made a direct relay to the starter. It can be done and I may do it in the future, but for now it works ok for me.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
If I offended you asking about the starter grinding, I apologize. I actually ran into that problem with the remote start on my truck. They did not hook up the starter kill, and I hit the starter a few times when I first got it put on, just out of habit. I was just curious. No harm meant.

Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow this looks great. I was about to get a Xena disk lock, but should I get this instead?

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
If I offended you asking about the starter grinding, I apologize. I actually ran into that problem with the remote start on my truck. They did not hook up the starter kill, and I hit the starter a few times when I first got it put on, just out of habit. I was just curious. No harm meant.

Thanks for the clarification.

Whoa no one offended here. What you reading? lol. I was just saying that if you are on the bike and its running and try starting it again that that would be a strong habit lol. My bad if I made you think otherwise. I meant no harm either. Hope I was able to answer all your questions.

My biggest gripe with this alarm was just trying to figure out the wiring. They do give you a diagram of what each wire on the alarm does, but it is up to you to figure out where everything goes. I think this is a great alternative to the $300+ alarms, but those alarms are probably a lot less of a hassle to hook up.

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking into buying an alarm or disk lock this week. Can someone help me out and point out the advantages in each, they will be around the same price if I buy the spy 5000m

fenell903

Reaction score
Visit site
That write up was great. I really like the remote starter. Where I live that will come in handy in the fall when the temp is a little cold in the morning and I still want to ride.:rockon::rockon:

romerome

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry to bring up a semi old topic
just a couple questions

How far did you actually get with the range approximately, you said a couple blocks but distance wise? how far going through things, like a building (mall) or parkcade.

is it durable?
thanks

dezzsp1

Reaction score
Visit site
First off...I have let the bike sit for over a week with the LED flashing and it started up no problems. Your GPS may have been charging or still trasmitting even if it was off.

As for grinding the starter, if your bike is on and you sit on it and hit the starter, that is a really strong habit hahah. Also I have hit the starter button before while on and it never...grinded?(ground?)

If it is remote started, you can ride away with it, but it cuts istelf off after 10 minutes. So be smart when you start. (nice rhyme)

And the alarm is SUPPOSED to not start unless you disarm it, even with the key. BUT the way our bike is wired, the switches are all positive driven whereas the alarm runs on a negative system. You can use zener diodes to fix this problem, but instead we used a relay and directly wired it to the starter (so if bike is in gear and I start it the bike will move and fall over so BE CAREFUL) Also, there is a wire in our key that detects if a key is in. We had to bypass that wire in order to let the remote start work.

As for the kill switch, we did not wire that in and so I just leave my kill switch on. Again this is because of the way our bike's wiring is different than how this alarm works.

And if you ever did lose your remote for the alarm and needed to start it, you turn the key on and off 10x and it disarms the alarm.

Now what I mean by our switches/wiring is a positive system, if you hook up a volt meter to the starter switch it will be getting 12v, but once you hit the switch, it negates to 0v. The alarm system outputs 12v, so unless you get a diode and reverse the voltage, you can't really benefit from all its features. Which is why I didn't wire the kill switch and made a direct relay to the starter. It can be done and I may do it in the future, but for now it works ok for me.

hi i have just had this alarm installed but my machanic could not figure out how to get the remote start working correctly it only works with key on do you have any pointers on how to bypass the this.

RGuinn829

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey wildcard I am looking to install this on my bike was hoping you could give us a wire list. Like
Red to black
Blue to gray

Thanks man for the video.