Luggage Rack

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I am taking alot of heat from some of the people that I ride with. We are planning a trip this spring for a weekend getaway, and I do not have a way to carry my clothes and sleeping bag.

So, I want to build a luggage rack instead of buying one. The cost to build would be a can of paint and a 6 pack. We have all of the scrap angle on hand.

I was thinking something along these lines. Please take a look at the pic, and tell me what you think. If you have any ideas, please pass them on. The cheaper the better.

This will be my first trip that I would need to store stuff, and I will not have a passenger.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
will you be doing 2 up riding?? you might want to look at a way to use the , well where you put your feet if you were a passanger. I was looking to make something, but broke down and bought a givi top case and rack. but originally i was think of of like a small pipe, with some kind od dampening material, that you could "slip" over the foot pegs and use that to hold some of the weight. i can draw up some pictures when i get home for you if you'd like..

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I will not be taking any riders. My wife has no desire to ride. This would be for one maybe two trips. I would completely remove the rear pegs and attach to rack to the two bolts on each side where the pegs attach to the frame.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Where's your rear mounting points for the rack? You can't just mount to the front location and expect to have it hold the weight of your luggage at the end of several feet of lever.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally for one or two trips I'd skip the luggage rack, buy soft saddlebags(craigslist or eBay to keep cost down) for clothes etc. and strap the sleeping to the pax seat.

Last edited:

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I was thinking... Use a longer bolt in the one on the frame and angle another support onto the pass pegs...
Maybe use rubber bushing or something of the sort to attach to the grab rails... That'd add some stability...

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Another thought is go "full ghetto" - get a flat piece of wood for a platform, rest it on the pax seat, anchored firmly to the grab handles, put luggage on platform and strap down. Would need to make holes in platform for all the strapping. I'd keep the platform as narrow as possible and only as long as a dufflebag and sleepbag together dictate it needs to be front to back.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another thought is go "full ghetto" - get a flat piece of wood for a platform, rest it on the pax seat, anchored firmly to the grab handles, put luggage on platform and strap down. Would need to make holes in platform for all the strapping. I'd keep the platform as narrow as possible and only as long as a dufflebag and sleepbag together dictate it needs to be front to back.

i dunno about a peice of wood.. if the wind catches it just right and its not "fully" tied down, bad scene ya know.. dont want it to accidently fly off and impale someone or break something.. i agree to find a tail bag and maybe one of those bungie nettings. they've worked great for my travels..

or f' it, just use a back pack and strap it to the rear seat.. that would work

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Where's your rear mounting points for the rack? You can't just mount to the front location and expect to have it hold the weight of your luggage at the end of several feet of lever.

I was thinking that a sleeping bag 5lbs, cloths 10lbs, and rack 10lbs would not be that bad on 4 bolts with the cantilever considering that a person weighing 125lbs can use the footpegs without any problem.

I know it would depend on the sheer of the bolts, but don't the racks that you buy have some kind of sleeve it slides into. I will probably have to figure out how to attach it under the tail somewhere.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I was thinking... Use a longer bolt in the one on the frame and angle another support onto the pass pegs...
Maybe use rubber bushing or something of the sort to attach to the grab rails... That'd add some stability...

What do you mean about the longer bolt? I was going to weld everything to make it solid. As far as the bushings, I am trying not to attach to any of the painted parts on the bike. I want to do something so that nothing rests on the seat or anything.

Who knows, this may be impossible, and I might end up with the bags as mentioned earlier, Just trying to throw an idea around.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
i dunno about a peice of wood.. if the wind catches it just right and its not "fully" tied down, bad scene ya know.. dont want it to accidently fly off and impale someone or break something.. i agree to find a tail bag and maybe one of those bungie nettings. they've worked great for my travels..

or f' it, just use a back pack and strap it to the rear seat.. that would work

I hear you that's why I'd call it "full ghetto"- you'd have to use something sturdy to attach it (eg u-bolts through the wood and around the grab rail). Disclaimer - I would not try this myself, I would buy cheap saddlebags, but trying to throw out more options.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got one that's more better... (Yes intentional)
This has worked in the past... two dufflebags crisscrossed across the seat from the opposite handrail, and bungied or tied to the pass pegs so they don't sway too bad... The trick is to lash the handles together in the middle so it's impossible for them to slide off unless they break. ONLY USE GOOD BAGS!!! I've done this multiple times with my football bags and they've been fine. The only thing I have noticed is the handles leave imprints for about a day on the seat, and the underside of the rail looks rubbed (easily remedied with a little love and wax...). I've used this method on my 2+ hour trip to my girl's house and everything stayed attached. Yes... SLIGHTLY above 65... ;)

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got one that's more better... (Yes intentional)
This has worked in the past... two dufflebags crisscrossed across the seat from the opposite handrail, and bungied or tied to the pass pegs so they don't sway too bad... The trick is to lash the handles together in the middle so it's impossible for them to slide off unless they break. ONLY USE GOOD BAGS!!! I've done this multiple times with my football bags and they've been fine. The only thing I have noticed is the handles leave imprints for about a day on the seat, and the underside of the rail looks rubbed (easily remedied with a little love and wax...). I've used this method on my 2+ hour trip to my girl's house and everything stayed attached. Yes... SLIGHTLY above 65... ;)

I have thought about something like this as well, but with a "Dry Bag" or something.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I was not trying to be Getto or anything. I was just wondering if anyone had made a rack or something to help hold their gear in place and not attach to the painted part of the bike. The drawing on the bike was not necessarily what I was going to do. It was only an example to show what information I was after. I guess I was not specific enough.

CdnMedic

Reaction score
Visit site
attach it down to where the passenger pegs are, then you can use the grab rail as a second attachment point with some hose clamps with rubber on the grab rail to avoid scratches.
I can think of a few different ways to do it. I plan on building my own set up for this in the spring, but since i will be doing this alot for my weekend trips home I think I'll just spring the $70 for a nice set of saddle bags and then bungee my bag on the back seat.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I was not trying to be Getto or anything. I was just wondering if anyone had made a rack or something to help hold their gear in place and not attach to the painted part of the bike. The drawing on the bike was not necessarily what I was going to do. It was only an example to show what information I was after. I guess I was not specific enough.

Sorry if I offended :spank:

I certainly didn't mean to imply that a self-made rack is ghetto (somebody has to make the one's they sell after all) merely that my wood plank suggestion is IMO.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry if I offended :spank:

I certainly didn't mean to imply that a self-made rack is ghetto (somebody has to make the one's they sell after all) merely that my wood plank suggestion is IMO.

No, I was not offended, I was just trying to explain myself better. No worries!!!!

F

FZSex

Ok, I am taking alot of heat from some of the people that I ride with. We are planning a trip this spring for a weekend getaway, and I do not have a way to carry my clothes and sleeping bag.

So, I want to build a luggage rack instead of buying one. The cost to build would be a can of paint and a 6 pack. We have all of the scrap angle on hand.

I was thinking something along these lines. Please take a look at the pic, and tell me what you think. If you have any ideas, please pass them on. The cheaper the better.

This will be my first trip that I would need to store stuff, and I will not have a passenger.

Dude, clothes and sleeping bag and tent will all fit in a big duffle (or) two on the passenger section of your bike. Put both in garbage bags, now they are water proof. Cheap!!

h2o_boy

Reaction score
Visit site
Who needs racks??

IMG_0052.jpg

On my passenger seat I have my sleeping bag, backpack with clothes and tent. Bungy cords ftw :rockon:

BTW those sport saddle bags don't hold much at all :(