Planning for summer trip- on FZ6

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I am planning early (sorry, its an enginerd thing), and am after some input from y'all on a long trip this summer. I plan to spend a week in Aspen this summer, riding bicycles with some teammates. Given that airfare is $400, plus $600 to bring the bicycle (I'm not kidding!), I am considering shipping the bicycle UPS ($50) and riding the FZ6 up. The problem is I must make it a quick trip on the road, to maximize pedaling time, and make best use of limited vacation. So, here is what I have:

Friday in mid-July: leave work at 4pm and ride to Dallas (250 flat, straight, HOT, HUMID, boring miles).
Saturday, early start, ride to Pueblo, CO: 700mi, hot & dry across the Texas panhandle & New Mexico. At least the roads are more interesting past Amarillo.
Sunday: head West into the mountains on smaller roads, 250 mi of twisties up & over the COntinental Divide (over 12k ft at Independence Pass).

The return would be more brutal:
Saturday: 650mi to Amarillo, TX (stay on "straighter" roads through the mtns, to make better time
Sunday: 650 home to Houston. The last 80 would be the most dangerous, as I would be hot, tired, and faced with crossing Houston.

What do you think, will I be too wasted after 650-700 mi in the mid-summer heat? I am over 6', so even with the Puig screen, I still catch quite a bit of wind at highway speeds.

I have a good friend & lifetime rider who did a similar trip to Denver on his FJR last year. He said even with a camelback, he was fighting dehydration & hurting the last 100mi. I know from cycling how the cumulative discomfort can cause focus & attention problems at the end of a long ride, and at both ends of this trip I will need full attention in the last 150 or so of each ride (Dallas, Raton Pass, Independence Pass, Houston).

What do you think? Make the trip on the FZ6, or just drive the SVT cage this time (which still fun in the mtns!), and wait for another opportunity when I can take my time going each way?

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the ride back might just be too exhausting. I mean, even if you're well prepared and well rested, it's killer. But you're gonna be tired after riding bicycles all week, so IMO that's asking for trouble...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
stop often. I did 800 miles and stopped about ever 75 miles. Kept me going. I was beat when I got back, but I got there safely. And when you stop, stop for a good 10-15 mins to walk around, chat on the phone or to the gas attendant to get your mind working again. :)

take the FZ but like Defy said...do it proper.

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
If you're in good enough shape to be riding a bicycle in the mountains of CO, then you should easily be able to do this on the FZ. I run marathons, so I know that having the endurance, the knowledge to manage my hydration, and ability to cope with heat really helps me stay in the saddle. Only questionable day will be the first day (650 miles) coming home. On secondary roads you can expect only a 50 mph average speed, so it will be a very long day. Go for it! :rockon:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Given the fact that you are in excellent shape, I would probably opt for the FZ6 IF I had the CalSci XXL screen with a Laminar Lip added to it. I would also insist on a large Camelback hydration system, cooling vest worn underneath your riding jacket that helps keep you cool, good ear-plugs,super PIAA bright lights, aftermarket seat or a AirHawk seat cushion and would leave around 4:00 am to help make good time in the cool of the morning and finally I would have my radar detector as an added plus since I will be riding above the posted speed limit. I would also throw in a large easy access tank-bag stocked with munchies like trailmix and a bottle of Gatorade.

The four enemies of long-distance riding is heat (or too much cold), lack of proper fluid intake, noise and ergonomic discomfort. The above should help alleviate that!

Now go for it!

rockon.gif

Last edited:

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Fantastic info- just what I was hoping for! A few points:

1. Good note about being tired on the return after bicycle riding all week. We will hammer ourselves every day on the bicycles, and I know the legs will be rubber on the way home.

2. A "proper" motorcycle trip is a smarter idea than this combined effort. With a full plate of family committments, it is hard to get away for even a weekend of riding (bicycle or motor), so I was trying to take advantage here. In reality, if I push too hard in either endeavor on this trip, fatigue could set me up for trouble on the other set of 2 wheels. I need to postpone the motorcycle part until I can head that way with a group, and take our time seeing things along the way. Not everything has to be done THIS YEAR, does it?!?

So, it looks like this will be make more trip for the SVT this summer (along with jaunts to L.A. & Indy). At least it will be better than 2007, when I drove the minivan to/through Colorado!

Thanks for all the tips, particularly the last post. I have hit most of your items, except the radar detector (I know how I drive the cage with one, I don't want that temptation on the bike), and the aftermarket seat.