I'm going to have to flog the fazer, what shall I buy

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 1 years payments left at £111 per month which I can't afford any more. I can pay off in March. If I sell the FZ6 for £3k and the Honda for £500 I'll have just over £2k cash for a new bike. So what shall I buy??

First thoughts - '98 900 Fireblade although I'd prefer a fast naked bike. Speed triples don't come that cheap though:(

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that is a shame that you will not be able to keep the bikes, but if you were to move on to something less expensive then i would suggest possibly an older yzf600r thundercat. Not naked, but very nice bike, i loved mine when i had it and would not mind having another at some point.

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what your situation is but is refinancing an option? Less money per month for more months?

W

wrightme43

W

wrightme43

See thats just torture. I want a VFR so bad. I look on ebay here. VFR?? whats a VFR??? 400 miles away they exist. Around here its just like they were all eaten by space aliens or Rosanne Barr redundant I know but the result is the same.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Luggs,

You really need to talk to the finance company. When I was out of work in 1998 (bike accident). I informed the company that I was unable to work due to injury.
I still wanted the bike but could only afford a reduced payment.

I managed to get the interest stopped and reduce my monthly payment down from 96.00 quid a month to 30.00 quid.
Debt is not a criminal offense.

The CBR 900 is going to have higher running / service costs due to age and performance. You need to factor all of this into your equation.

Nelly

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to say what about the insurance costs, but then thought that if the Fireblade was a few years old and of lower value then...

I'd keep the FZ although a FireBlade would be nice. :surrender:

What about an old CB1300 or an XJ1200/1300. They look ace and are made like brick...

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
See thats just torture. I want a VFR so bad. I look on ebay here. VFR?? whats a VFR??? 400 miles away they exist. Around here its just like they were all eaten by space aliens or Rosanne Barr redundant I know but the result is the same.

We have some VFR's here, and I feel your pain. That would be one of the only bikes I would consider letting the FZ go for, but way too expensive.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, thoughts so far. I really do have to reduce my monthly outlay to nil. I'm even cancelling Sky (UK satellite TV service) which means I'll miss the new series of Lost (boo hoo) and 24 (boo hoo hoo).

Anyway:
VFR - too old for the money, I could only get a 1996 for £2k, most have about 40000 miles on the clock
Bandit 1200 - thinking seriously about this. Lots about and can get a 2001/2 model for the money. Lots of grunt and good fun, if basic
Thundercat - had an old Fazer 600 with the same engine so fancy a change
R1 - only a couple of tatty 98 models for the money
TL1000 - fugly!
Trimuph - I would love a Triumph but think I need a late 90's model which I can't afford
BMW- credit me with some taste
CBR600 - loads around, some 200 models. Very tempted. Some horrid colours (puke yellow!)
R6 - some '99 models out there. Very tempting
GSXR600 - loads out there. Very nice, some awful paintscheme's though

Still thinking...

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
How about a Z750? Similar to the FZ6, but sufficiently different for a change of bike.
Aprilia Falco? There's a couple on e-bay for £2k ish and a few on the Falco forums. Have one myself and can't recommend them enough.
Old shape Hornet?
SV650? Maybe an SV1000?
Honda Firestorm?
ZX9R?

Last edited:

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
How about a Z750? Similar to the FZ6, but sufficiently different for a change of bike.
Aprilia Falco? There's a couple on e-bay for £2k ish and a few on the Falco forums. Have one myself and can't recommend them enough.
Old shape Hornet?
SV650? Maybe an SV1000?
Honda Firestorm?
ZX9R?

Z750 - none on autotrader for under 2k
Aprilia Falco - never heard of it. Had a look on Autotrader. Tempted. Will look further into these
Hornet - yep, been looking at these
SV's - don't really like them
ZX's in general- interesting, not really thought of one. Do they age well?

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
ZX's age as well as any 90's Jap bike I guess. Plenty fast and comfy for a sports bike, the owner's forum is very good (ZX9-r.net). Have a look at the Yamaha Thunderace as well.

Falcos are rare with a very loyal following, one of the best kept secrets in biking hence the low used sales prices, wouldn't swap mine for anything else.