If you could have just one bag...

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
If you could have just one bag on your bike for a short trip, what would it be?
-tank bag
-tail bag/trunk
-saddle bags
-?
I'm favouring (damn spell checker keeps wanting to change that to "favoring"...how barbaric..:p ) a tank bag, as I have a wee bit of difficulty swinging my leg over my FZ6 as it is, without putting stuff on the back of the seat or having to negotiate my 29" inseam leg over saddle bags. :eek:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can get more into my backpack than I can into the other two (I don't yet have a tailbag) so I guess that'd be it (I haven't biked very far with it, but I've backpacked on foot for 6 days at a time, so...)

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
for a day trip ... a tank bag....

for an overnight .... saddle bags

for multi day all of the above

I am heading to north Ga /TN/ NC a week from Wed and will be gone 5 days

I will have the tank bag (small stuff Ipod cell phone spare glasses extra gloves maps )

Saddle bags... clothes and rain gear

Tail bag (small) with cleaning supply and chain stuff

we will cover about 1,600 miles in 5 days 436 there & back and about 300 a day while there

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
for a day trip ... a tank bag....

for an overnight .... saddle bags

for multi day all of the above

I am heading to north Ga /TN/ NC a week from Wed and will be gone 5 days

I will have the tank bag (small stuff Ipod cell phone spare glasses extra gloves maps )

Saddle bags... clothes and rain gear

Tail bag (small) with cleaning supply and chain stuff

we will cover about 1,600 miles in 5 days 436 there & back and about 300 a day while there
Cool! Got a laptop, that you can keep a running diary for us to follow along?

W

wrightme43

I use my tank bag for around town and when its cold when I leave out. I can fit my windproof northface outerjacket easy.

Its expandable so I can pack a pair of jeans, a tshirt, toothbrush+paste, comb, sandels, extra socks, small deodorant, razor,(shave with soap) small bottle of cologne.

More than just to stay allnight I take the saddlebags. They are expandable as well. They will hold enough for 4 days. EASY even when its cold.
Plus I have a back pack.

Now I learned to pack living on a submarine. (ha ha ha) seriously though there is no room and you learn how to make things take up the least amount of room, and pack like tetris.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
I have a laptop....but will not be bringing it unless....

if the weather is a washout... for the ride up.. We might trailer

riding 400+ miles to get there in rain does not excite me....

on the electraglide ----I have done it .... not the the FZ6 not enough weather protection

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the experienced replies...very much appreciated. I have just used a backpack up to now, but find it a bit tiresome, even on a quick trip under an hour. Wearing a backpack all day when hiking or when playing silly buggers in action shooting games doesn't bother me at all, but on a bike...it just gets tiresome.
I'll look at some tank bags, preferrably the expandable type.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a $16 tank bag off of newenough a month or so ago and if all you want is something to hold a few of your valuables I'd say it's the best way to go. It may seem small but you can pack a lot in it (gps, water bottle, camera, cell phone, pack of gum, spare batteries, eye drops, stand puck, book, and wallet). I'd consider saddle bags before a tailbag, I haven't had a passenger yet, but I'd hate to have some cute lady ask for a ride and have to turn her down because of a massive tailbag occupying the rearseat.....but maybe I've got my priorities mixed up :Flash:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Another vote for a tankbag for short trips - I've got tank, saddle and a "tail" bag. Use the the tank bag on basically every trip - always need a place for a hat, earplugs, water, snacks and my cargo net in case I exceed the bag's capacity while I'm out (maybe that's cheating). With the tankbag and net you can carry loads of stuff - I took all the tools I needed and the box with my new exhaust to a friends to install it with them.

The other bags I only use occasionally - weekend or longer trips or carrying something that is shaped such that the tankbag doesn't work.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
If you could have just one bag on your bike for a short trip, what would it be?
-tank bag
-tail bag/trunk
-saddle bags
-?
I'm favouring (damn spell checker keeps wanting to change that to "favoring"...how barbaric..:p ) a tank bag, as I have a wee bit of difficulty swinging my leg over my FZ6 as it is, without putting stuff on the back of the seat or having to negotiate my 29" inseam leg over saddle bags. :eek:

I can understand you finding 'favoring' unsatisfactory, but 'inseam' ?? Surely you mean 'inside leg' :)

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never ridden a bike with anything on the tank before, which is the only reason I'm hesitating buying a tankbag. I see them all the time on bikes, so it obviously isn't even remotely an issue.
Again, great thoughts from everyone...very much appreciated.
This has only really become an issue for me since buying a leather jacket, which because of its more 'snug' fit, doesn't afford as much pocket room as my JR textile jacket. Even "packing" for the shortest trip is a nuisance now, finding room for all the paraphanalia that we seem to carry around with us these days on a daily basis at work and play. Dumping all this stuff into a tank bag would be ideal.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd consider saddle bags before a tailbag, I haven't had a passenger yet, but I'd hate to have some cute lady ask for a ride and have to turn her down because of a massive tailbag occupying the rearseat.....but maybe I've got my priorities mixed up :Flash:

I have vague memories of cute ladies on the back of my bike being a good thing, but I can't remember why....:confused::D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used them all and the top case is by far my first choice. It's secure (key lock), it's large, it's out of the way, it provides additional reflective surface area or lighting, it doubles as a sissy bar, it is easily removed.
________
Wong Amat Tower Condo Pattaya

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
Got a magnetic tank bag. Good for short trips. The magnets are very strong. You may not want to put any electronic gee-whizzery in it. I do take it in with me when the bike is out of sight. I'd like (removable) top case & rack. Had one on my previous bike. More secure than the soft stuff. Another positive is I could leave my helmet locked in the case and not have to wag it around all the time. Any suggestions as to brands would be appreciated. I've looked at Givi's but they're on the pricey side.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Visit site
@ DefyInertia,
What brand/type of top case do you use? Is it easily removable as well?
Thanks
My previous bike (used, of course) came with it. Since we get a lot of rain, it was a good place to keep a rainsuit and other stuff. I'd like one that isn't too big, but enough to be usable. Removable would be nice. The ones by Givi look ok, but they cost more than I want to spend.Maybe some others can help with that information. Maybe even a sliding system that would allow the trunk to be slid over the pasenger area for solo work, and then back for the times our moderator gets tired of hauling those cuties around.

Reaction score
Visit site
Well...... is that for one of them camp sites you have to bring in your own cooking/firewood? Must be one of them inflatable chainsaws. Like the box, though. Is that a Givi or something similar? Sources?