Silly Battery question

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
This might be a "D'oh... of course that's how you do it" question but here goes anyway.

My battery has the normal bolt connecting the positive and negative terminals to it which capture the bolt underneath. So far so good. However, I also have my optimate trickle charger leads, and also the cigarette power outlet (for charging phone, satnav, making a cuppa). When I put the bolt through the eyelets for these, then the battery terminal I have a hell of a time getting it to capture the bolt underneath as the thread is lifted up just enough to miss it.

What the secret way of getting this nut back on the end.

Feel free to snigger if it's obvious.:banghead:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Don't waste your money on a special "Battery Bolt" !!!,- get an M6 (6mm) bolt and cut it so it's 1 - 1½mm longer than the stock one. Cheap and easy.

Other option is to slide in a piece of plastic (I have used a piece of cable binder before), and place it under the lover nut in the battery terminal. This will lift the nut enough for the Stock bolt to get hold of it.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I had this same problem and found a simple,easy solution.
My new battery came with a nut, and I had a nut from the older battery I was trying to replace.

I just stacked the two nuts together and slid them both under the battery terminal.
The bolt was able to immediately screw into the nut on top, and then into the nut on the bottom.

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
as said use another nut, longer bolt, something under it i find that a zip tie or a small flat screwdriver works great. very few questions are stupid or silly!:thumbup:

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a piece of plastic tubing about a 1/4 inch underneath the nut. An old overflow tube from a battery works well. Good luck

This is what we do with all of our jetski batteries. Just cut a piece of overflow tube and slide it under the nut. Works great. :thumbup:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't do what I did ,I had the same problem and thought "oh I,ll just hold the nut up with a screwdriver" well the angle I needed was a bit more than I thought and..........well you know the rest :rolleyes:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
You're not a mechanic until you've shorted a screwdriver between battery + and ground.

You're not an expert until you've grabbed the metal bit of the screwdriver with a bare hand after shorting it between battery + and ground.

Fred <- expert

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This might be a \\"D'oh... of course that's how you do it\\" question but here goes anyway.

Feel free to snigger if it's obvious.:banghead:

No such thing as a silly question... the only silly question is the one you DON'T ask. :thumbup:

We had the same thing when trying to get Wolfmans Scorpio alarm hooked up. A bit of non-conductive material under the nut and you are laughing... Zip Tie, hose, anthing.

I'm going to grab a couple of longer M6 bolts from work (shh, don't tell anyone :rof: ), just for when I add something to the terminal.

:)

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol sorry forgot to mention the rubber coated screw driver... and um... rag between screwdriver and metal.....

W

wrightme43

Mighty Putty!!!
Yes Mighty Putty!!!!

I am Billy Mayes and I am here to tell you about a new miracle product. Mighty Putty!!!!
Its Mighty Putty!!!!

Oh sorry that wont work at all.

Nevermind.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did this today. I ended up sticking a small twig underneath the nut, it'll just get crushed when you tighten it, so you don't have anything in there to worry about.