New handlebar for my N

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Long time no see! Been hanging around for a while without posting too much, but anyway:

I contacted my local Yamaha dealer in Norway about the FZ1 handlebar, after having read on the forum that quite a few of you have mounted it on your FZ6's. The guy told me that I couldn't use my original end-caps if I wanted to switch handlebar. This was due to the fact that some dude the day before I made the phonecall, had done the exact same thing. He had bought the FZ1 handlebar, but couldn't make the original end caps to fit. I thought that was kind of weird since it seems that this isn't the case with the others on the forum that have done similar mod.

My bike is an '05. Shouldn't this be a walk in the park, except drilling that extra hole on the right hand side of the bar?

Another ting was that they will charge me way more than what you guys in US and Australia need to pay from your dealers. Allmost 160 USD for the bar and end-caps... That's ludicris IMO.

Any tips on this? Any good Yamaha parts dealer in Europe/Scandinavia that will ship this kind of goods without charging 100$ extra and with reasonable prices?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I'm just curious. Did you by any chance call Yamaha Vinterbro?=P Anyway, I asked them why the bars weren't threaded and they showed me how the bar ends differ. So I'm just gonna order a set of Rizoma or Motovation universal bar ends. They look better anyway so I'm not that upset.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I'm just curious. Did you by any chance call Yamaha Vinterbro?=P Anyway, I asked them why the bars weren't threaded and they showed me how the bar ends differ. So I'm just gonna order a set of Rizoma or Motovation universal bar ends. They look better anyway so I'm not that upset.

Hehe... Yup, they're the ones I called:D So... It was you that was the guy I mentioned?! What a coinsidence:eek:

Did you buy that handlebar there? I thought it was way too expensive, especially when you know what other guys on this forum have paid.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol that's funny:D Yeah, at NOK 500,- it was a little overpriced, but then again everything in this country is.. :rolleyes:

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm... They told me that I'd have to pay over NOK 1800,- for the whole package (handlebar, cap-ends, weights).

But 500,- for the bar itself? Well... That's not too bad, though.

Any trouble with the mounting other than the cap-ends? What about the handles? Did they come off easily?

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm... They told me that I'd have to pay over NOK 1800,- for the whole package (handlebar, cap-ends, weights).

But 500,- for the bar itself? Well... That's not too bad, though.

Any trouble with the mounting other than the cap-ends? What about the handles? Did they come off easily?

I haven't mounted them yet. It's been too cold but now that it's a little warmer I'm going to try to do the mod some time this week. I'll let you know how it goes:)

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
When I changed my bars, the cheapest option for bar ends that had enough weight to dampen the vibrations were 2006 Suzuki SV650 bar ends. I tried the aluminum aftermarket ends but they were too light and allowed too much vibration.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Another option is to fill your handbar with a tube of silicone caulk.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes I wish I was in the US or some other country where aftermarket parts are easy to come by. There are a few dealers in Norway too, but they are kind of pricey and their inventory are often limited in size.

Capo79

Viking spirit
Reaction score
Visit site
But isn't it so that some ppl on this forum actually have used the original FZ6bar ends on their FZ1 handlebar? At least I thought I'd read that somewhere... I might post another thread asking for this in particular on the main forum.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, but the 2008 FZ1 bars I got didn't have threads. The guy at Yamaha even took the bar ends off of an FZ1, and they're fastened with a much smaller bolt. There's an insert that goes into each end of the bar that the bar ends are screwed into.

Now that being said.. I really don't know how those inserts can be fastened without threads...:confused:

Edit: I just found a parts list on the U.S. Yamaha site, and there it looks like the bar ends for the FZ1 are the same as the FZ6.. I'm starting to think that the U.S. and European versions are slightly different. Not that I can understand why...

Last edited: