Kawasaki Pulls Out Of MotoGP

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pissed off at this, not because I support Kawa (far from it) but, who will we rag now at the pub when the racing is on???

from motogp.com

Kawasaki to suspend MotoGP racing activities

Friday, 09 January 2009

Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. announced today that it has decided to suspend its factory MotoGP racing activities from the 2009 season.

Amid the quickly changing business environment, Kawasaki has been promptly taking countermeasures to cope with the situation. As the world economy is not likely to recover in a short period due to the major impact of the financial crisis, Kawasaki decided to suspend its MotoGP racing activities from the 2009 season onward and reallocate management resources more efficiently.

Kawasaki will continue racing activities using mass-produced motorcycles as well as supporting general race-oriented customers.

Kawasaki would like to thank all the fans and all those who have supported us.

Press release courtesy of Kawasaki Heavy Industries

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a shame,
Yo need the big four in there competing, pulling out may start a ripple that could unsettle the sport.

Nelly

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
If anyone else pulls out, there won't be enough riders to put on a valid race. One of the 'papers' here in the UK made the point that if MotoGP make a load of rule changes to reduce the technology so the teams can afford it, then they will be left with World Superbikes. (Which is much better to watch IMO)

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wrote to Sky News because they reported that after this and Honda pulling out of F1, Toyota is the only Japanese company in mainstream motorsport.

This is of course rubbish as Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki are still in MotoGP and SBK and Kawasaki will still be in SBK as well.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hoinda, Yamaha, Suzuki & Ducati wont pull out..what is it with Kawasaki...build great road bikes...cant win road races!

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I work in retail and we sold Kawasaki bicycles for a time last year, but so many were getting returned we stopped selling them. Then a couple of days ago, I noticed we are selling Kawasaki cordless drills....WTF....they must be broke to be selling out their name to low-budget tool producers and bicycle manufacturers

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is not like Kawasaki were wining races and Honda's F1 team were at the back as well. Subaru and Suzuki have pulled out of World Rally as well at which they have not been doing very well at. So we can see a theme here; if your doing badly then save your money. Good advice? If you fail to advertise you fail to sell.

However the new ZX6R is amazing. :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the green meanies, especially the zx-12, and new gen z1000. But if you can't win races on sunday, you ain't gonna sell bikes on Monday!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
it is a shame that we will lose a bit of the diversity of the sport, but i think we will be able to enjoy watching the other big boys on the track. Even in road bikes kawi's seem to be more lurking in the shadows rather that being the "Must have" street bike like Suzuki and Yamaha always seem to come out with.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not surprised. It is so expensive to race at that level, the cost must be well into the tens of millions.

Kawasaki has always been touch and go with GP level racing. In the 70s and 80s they had one or two riders where as Yamaha and Honda have made GP levels bikes available to privateers.

I read this past week that MotoGP was down to a field of only 16 riders.

W

wrightme43

I just wouldnt expect them to continue. Last in almost every race has got t wear on you.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does this mean there will be no more Monster energy drinks?!!

No I think we are stuck with Monster for AMA Superbike, or whatever it is now called, and AMA MX and Supercross.

The local dealer had a new Ninja 600 in the Monster colors and it looked great.

However for '09, and I can't believe I'm going to say this....ouch...Mr. Yamaha please forgive me...I really, really like the green and black CBR600RR. That ride is SHARP!

View attachment 11734

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
However for '09, and I can't believe I'm going to say this....ouch...Mr. Yamaha please forgive me...I really, really like the green and black CBR600RR. That ride is SHARP!

Yea I was at the dealer yesterday and they had the same bike on the floor. I definitely was digging the look. They also had the new VMAX and that thing is a beast of a machine!!

BobSchmickle

Reaction score
Visit site
at least Kawi is being proactive. Ford and GM go to the government for a bailout, but keep dumping cash into NASCAR. American companies are dumb.

edit: oh yeah... the dark green and black looks sweet.