frank thomas rage gloves

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
these are awesome gloves. fully adjustable with two velcro straps. kangaroo leather palms. $99

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll second this review! :thumbup:

I had a pair of fairly expensive gloves fall apart in under four months, so I headed off to Cycle Gear to try on some gloves and use a 10% off coupon. I tried on a ton of gloves from $40-$199 and decided that I like the Frank Thomas Rage the best.

I got them home and immediately noticed that the right hand sliders were digging into my knuckles, but the left glove felt perfect. I tried everything to adjust the right hand and couldn't get it correct, but I was on a long ride and had to stick it out. By the end of the ride the glove had broken in and I didn't notice any discomfort.

Now after 1k miles they still feel great! I love how soft the kangaroo leather is, I like the look of the black/white and patterns on the glove. I haven't, and hope not to, crash tested them, but the overall build seems great and they still look new.

I hope to have many more happy miles with these gloves.

spamthefood

Reaction score
Visit site
I went through three pairs of these gloves before I upgraded to a different set. The Velcro on the little wrist part (below the gauntlet, above the palm) would come apart on all of them. Other than that great gloves. Best part was CycleGear replaced them each time no questions and then finally gave me credit towards the new ones.

The other thing about the gloves that bothered me was the fact that the seams were on the inside. This would occasionally be uncomfortable with the ends of my fingers/fingernails.

I did crash in these gloves and not only did they hold up very well they also protected me very well. I would feel very comfortable riding/crashing in these gloves.

Last edited:

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Well after a few thousand miles wearing the gloves daily I've had the same issues as spamthefood. The velcro on these gloves is not up to par with the rest of the construction. I really like the fit and feel of the gloves, but the velcro on the cuffs does not stick anymore and they flop open while riding.

I think I'll probably take them to a tailor and see if they can upgrade just the velcro parts. If the cost isn't too bad then I'll stick with them, if it's ridiculously expensive then I'll switch back to my A*s.

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
mine are still good to go. mine are large and seem a little tight but bearable. better than loose. had them six months and no problems. the little velcro strap on the wrist---i leave it un hooked--no problem.

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have these gloves too. I got them from Cyclegear (during their new years day sale?) when they were 40% off, got them for $60. I like them a lot, but the stitching WILL fall apart. I exchanged my first pair after like three rides, because the velcro was falling off. My second pair have been a little better, but they are coming un-stitched a little on the top fastener. They've been holding up to daily use fairly well and are very comfortable. I've used them from near freezing (with liners), to the upper 90's. I haven't returned this pair since I rashed up the palms "testing" them ;). Cyclegear is so cool I bet they wouldn't even care, I wouldn't ask them to though.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Based on my previous reviews:

Purchased 04/09
Fixed velcro myself 07/09
Complete failure 05/10

The gloves made it a year of daily riding and the seams on the palm and cuff completely blew apart. Went to put the gloves on today and ended up with half a cuff and 3/4 of a palm attached.

Took them to cycle gear and they honored their lifetime guarantee by discounting my purchase of Dainese Hellfire gloves.

I really liked the Frank Thomas fit and feel, but quality isn't what I expected from a relatively expensive glove, so I doubt I'll be purchasing Frank Thomas for my protective gear going forward.