SHARP Testing

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Now before you blow Nelly, - let me first emphasize that I WILL use the SHARP test results in future lid purchases.

And now to my point:

You have to remember that the SHARP test does NOT test aspects like wind noise, inner lining quality, weight etc.
It only test impact resistance in 22 predefined spots. Therefore its an impact test ONLY, - NOT a general helmet test.

IMO it's no-good to own a helmet that can take a hit from a small meteor if it waighs 5Kg, gives you permanent ear damage at 10Km/h and an inner lining that feels like sandpaper. The distraction alone will most likely make you crash.

Therefore the SHARP test results should be used alongside other test's, reviews and personal experience.

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Same as the Snell testing then?

As far as I can tell, not one of the helmet testing schemes checks for fit, finish, weight, noise, leaks, or anything other than impact protection.

They are tests, not reviews.

Likewise, all the helmet reviews on (for example) WBW do mention all of the above but they don't do their own impact testing.

So the ideal is to find a review of the helmet you like, and also check out its Snell or Sharp rating and then make a decision.

You can't decide if you only have half the facts.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Same as the Snell testing then?

Correct me if I'm wrong, - but does the Snell testing not include penetration tests?
The SHARP is impact and impact only. The claim is that the most occurring injury is brain damage coursed by helmets lacking ability to absorb the blow, hence transferring it to your skull.

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
The SHARP testing brings together some of the best aspects from the standards currently in use around the world and has defined more rigorous tests and assessments than are currently in use for Regulation. SHARP tests protection across a much wider range of speeds.

In developing the tests as well as looking at impact energy management the areas of the helmet most likely to be struck and the risk of brain injury from that impact were also considered. Analysing in-depth real world accident studies allowed the linking of specific laboratory impacts with real world injury, therefore the tests address specific risk of head injury. Helmets are impacted against anvils to represent both flat surfaces and kerbstones, testing protection over the whole helmet not just specific points.

A suite of enhanced test procedures and assessment criteria for helmets have been developed, so that a helmet performing well when assessed against them will offer real and significant increases in head protection. The tests are:

Linear impact tests - Energy absorption tests. The helmet is placed onto a test head form and dropped from a certain height onto different types of anvils. Acceleration is measured at the centre of gravity of the head form as is the energy absorbed by the helmet at various locations and speeds.

Oblique impact tests - Rotational acceleration by friction. The helmet is placed onto a test head form and dropped from a certain height against an inclined anvil with a very rough surface. Rotational acceleration is measured in the test head form. Limit values allow the risk of brain and neck injury to be assessed.

The results from 22 different impacts are combined into a single easy to understand star rating and published to provide consumers with comparative information to assist them in making informed purchase decisions.

You're quite right, the Snell testing also includes a 3kg pointed weight dropped onto the helmet from a controlled height.

My point however is the same as yours - the rating of a helmet has nothing to do with its comfort or ease of use, whether it's tested by Snell or Sharp. So to get a balanced view of how a helmet performs in the real world, we need to read both its ratings and its reviews to make a decision.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Now before you blow Nelly....

I hate to be the dirty minded forum troll.....but that phrase has a COMPLETELY different meaning over here in the states. :eek:

Sorry, I just had to say something.

In other news, good post, I also hear lots of good things about ECE 22-05. Though to be honest, I'm not that up to date on helmet safety ratings.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
"I hate to be the dirty minded forum troll.....but that phrase has a COMPLETELY different meaning over here in the states. "

:rof::rof::rof::rof:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
Fz6sa, My post is there to merely give people an idea about where to find helmet safety info. In my post you are quite correct "review" is misleading, I have edited this, thanks.

I have not mentioned anything in my post about comfort, size, fit and wind noise because these things you will only find out once you have actually worn it.
I have mentioned it before, ear plugs are the only way to actively reduce hearing damage whilst riding. Even the best lids will have high dB's.

I was unaware of the SNELL rating and have found a link and added it. Thanks.

I would also not recommend purchasing something that you have not physically tried on.

JEDI
So to get a balanced view of how a helmet performs in the real world, we need to read both its ratings and its reviews to make a decision.

This is sound advise. I am not asking anyone to rush out and purchase a helmet on the basis of the SHARP ratings.

Nelly:thumbup:

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate to be the dirty minded forum troll.....but that phrase has a COMPLETELY different meaning over here in the states. :eek:

Sorry, I just had to say something.

In other news, good post, I also hear lots of good things about ECE 22-05. Though to be honest, I'm not that up to date on helmet safety ratings.
lol a Freudian slip lol.

You are a Troll.

Nelly

Last edited:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com

The ECE 22-05 is (like most EU based ratings) to be seen as a bare minimum requirement. There is no doubt that both the SHARP and the SNELL are way superior to the ECE.