Night time riding for the spectacle wearing riders

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep im blind, or as my Gran put it "You couldn't hit a cow in the arse with a stick".
The problem. Last night I was riding back form London on unfamiliar roads. It was drizzling slightlty so I had to have my visor down. There were also tons of bugs determind to commit suicide on my visor. I couldn't ride with my visor up and had to stop at litrally every petrol station in order to clean my visor.
If any of you wear glasses and ride at night what do you do to help visibility?

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
nikwax visor proof from grin factor awesome stuff water just beads and runs off and it does not ruin irdium visors KBC have the worst irdium visors i have ever seen rub to hard and it comes off put visor cleaner on and it comes off this stuff leaves it in place and for the inside a fog city anti fog insert or liquid soap rub it on until it goes white then wipe it off or contact lenses :thumbup:also ride with a 1/4" gap along the bottom edge of the visor stops it fogging up

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sur e you get anti-reflective coating put on your glasses the next time you get them. It helps alot at night in general. Bugs/rain etc..... not much you can do.

S

sportrider

I'm assuming you have a tinted visor? if you do carry a clear visor, thats what I do. I wear contacts now but I still occasionally wear glasses I've had no problems.

L

Lucky

try yellow glasses (lenses), it cuts glare and make things more bright

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep im blind, or as my Gran put it "You couldn't hit a cow in the arse with a stick".

My golf partner tells me 'I couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo'

I wore glasses for 35 years, until I got my eyes fixed earlier this year at Ultralase. It still doesn't resolve the problem of rain obscuring your view through a visor though. Turning your head sideways helps the rain run off a little. I'm going to try Hobbit's suggestion - I've used Nikwax products to re-proof my textile jacket, that worked a treat.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sur e you get anti-reflective coating put on your glasses the next time you get them. It helps alot at night in general. Bugs/rain etc..... not much you can do.
I have anti-reflective coating (allegedly) but thanks for the advice.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm assuming you have a tinted visor? if you do carry a clear visor, thats what I do. I wear contacts now but I still occasionally wear glasses I've had no problems.
No mate I always run a clear visor as my glasses are light sensetive.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its bad enough when your visor gets blurred, but its a real mare when your glasses lenses go the same way to. I had zero condifence in reading the road.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
hey

Sir Perryn, I would sadly suggest you not ride at nite. With your level of macular degeneration you could actually be upping the risk of an accident. I mean, if you cant find a way to improve it for nite riding, dont take the chance, if you cant see, you shouldnt ride. JMHO. I wear eyeglasses under my visor, as I am near sighted. Not a strong prescription, just off a tad. But at night I have no problem.

Hey, it occured to me that when I was a child, I once complained to my dad about the on coming cars headlights would blind me, they were so bright. He suggested i focus on the white line on the right of my lane.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sir Perryn, I would sadly suggest you not ride at nite. With your level of macular degeneration you could actually be upping the risk of an accident. I mean, if you cant find a way to improve it for nite riding, dont take the chance, if you cant see, you shouldnt ride. JMHO. I wear eyeglasses under my visor, as I am near sighted. Not a strong prescription, just off a tad. But at night I have no problem.

Hey, it occured to me that when I was a child, I once complained to my dad about the on coming cars headlights would blind me, they were so bright. He suggested i focus on the white line on the right of my lane.
Problem solved,
I spoke to one of the opthamologists at work this morning. Its not me. It's my new glasses. He told me that light sensitive lenses with a tint do not allow the same levels of light through to the eye. The tint in my glasses is very light but this is causing the problem. It was dark and raining this morning when I rode to work. I wore my old glasses with a standard lense. No problem what so ever. Now where is that cowes arse...........

L

Lucky

My golf partner tells me 'I couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo'

I wore glasses for 35 years, until I got my eyes fixed earlier this year at Ultralase. It still doesn't resolve the problem
It can last up to 1 year or more - depends on surface condition of your eyes.

L

Lucky

I have yet to find anything that works "great". Rain-X seems to work the best for me. When I wear my specs "I treat both the visor and my spectacle's" it helps to keep them from fogging too. As for the bugs... Left index finger seems to do the trick.:eek:

how long does it last?