Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha FZ6 boasts flawless shifting mechanism

TED LATURNUS
Globe and Mail Update
Related to this article

yamahabike.jpg
Yamaha FZ6 (Ted Laturnus for The Globe and Mail)

After you've spent some time aboard a motorcycle like Yamaha's FZ6, you really have to take a step back and marvel at its technology.

The engine in this bike is just 599 cc in size, yet bangs out almost 100 horsepower. Furthermore, the FZ6 revs to 14,000 rpm. That's racing-bike territory, even though it reaches its maximum output at 12,000 rpm and most of the top-end power kind of disappears after about 10,000 revs. The bike is still accelerating at that point, but there's no real bite.

Still, it's absolutely amazing how far you can rev this engine in each gear and when you crank it, it just seems to go on and on and on. The FZ6 is a very quick motorcycle, and the majority of riders will never find its performance limits, mainly because you need a lot of road to really wring it out.

All of this snap and performance comes from a liquid-cooled, inline-four-cylinder engine that is transversely mounted and features dual overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder, as well as a plethora of high-tech engineering highlights, including a one-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly, lightweight pistons and a high capacity radiator.

It's mated to a six-speed transmission, and final drive is chain. For gearheads who appreciate technical details and state-of-the-art engineering, this bike is a feast.

It also has one of the smoothest and most nicely co-ordinated drive trains I've encountered lately. Despite its formidable power-to-weight ratio (186-kg dry weight), the FZ6 is still a very usable and accessible motorcycle. At highway speed, for example, it's rolling over at just 5,500 rpm at 100 km/h in top gear. That means you've still got some 8,500 more rpm to play with.

And at low speeds, power is linear and readily available. During my time with the FZ6, I did one of my impromptu and extremely unofficial roll-on tests. Letting the bike drift down to about 40 km/h in sixth gear, I cranked it, giving it wide-open throttle. While it didn't leap ahead, nor did it stumble or balk. Power came on cleanly and built up astonishingly fast.

High-revving little powerhouses like the FZ6 don't usually like low rpms, but it handles them without problem, which is a good thing because around town the bike is kind of buzzy and frantic at any engine speed over 5,000 rpm in the lower gears,.

Sure, you can ride it hyped-up and ready to pop if you want, but it doesn't mind loafing either.

Elsewhere, the FZ6 has dual disc brakes up front and a single disc in the back, with substantial 43-mm front forks and a single rear shock.

There are two kickstands: centre and side. The former works just fine, but the latter is kind of hard to get at, tucked up under the foot pegs and shift lever.

The riding position is fairly upright with conventional handlebars mounted on decent-sized risers, which is another one of the things I appreciated. In most respects, this is a sport motorcycle — although it's officially classed as a middleweight street bike — but there's no prone riding position and you can actually ride the FZ6 all day without hurting yourself in the process.

Its seat height is a reasonable 795 mm and the saddle itself is comfortable, though a little shy on padding. I could also say the same about the handlebar grips, which will transmit some vibration into your hands at certain rpms, but not enough to whine about.

Yamaha tweaked the front fairing for 2007, and it does provide some refuge from the wind, though not a lot.

The company is claiming that the FZ6 is, and I quote, "tourer, commuter, and sport bike," but for long-distance rides this is not the first model that springs to mind.

I also want to add a word about the shifting mechanism. It's flawless. Clutch action is effortless and the gears slip almost eagerly into place. No audible clanks, false neutral or balky shift points.

In most respects, this is a very agreeable motorcycle. It has enough power for all but the most rabid performance enthusiasts, features a comparatively civilized ride and doesn't throw down the gauntlet every time you climb aboard.

Like its rivals, the Suzuki Bandit and Honda 599 (no longer sold in Canada), the FZ6 is an all-purpose street bike that can easily do sport-bike duty. Because of its nice sense of balance and freewheeling nature, I can see stunt riders and hooligans gravitating to the FZ6.

Prices start at $9,300 and you can choose from two colours: blue or red.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
nice article.

shifting is fine as long as the chain is tight. From the factory it sucked between 2-3 gear and after a tire replacement 5-6...now its tight and no problems.

W

wrightme43

Yes I noticed that too.

The second time I went to the drag strip, I kept getting nuetral instead of second.
I change the oil early, and adjusted the chain, it was at the slack side of inspec. It feels alot better now.

I dont know how I missed that article. Thanks for bringing it up.
Steve

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
1st to 2nd was and still is a little clunky but I haven't had any real problems there but from 5th to 6th it wanted to hang up sometimes if it was below 6000 RPMs. Like pchbreeze, I did a chain adjustment and that seemed to cure the hang ups. I wouldn't call the trany flawless........ but it's not a piece of crap either.:D

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ran into 'flaws' plenty of times :p Usually not under normal operating conditions, but as long as it doesn't sound like a gixer I'm fine :)

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
compared?

Compared to a honda shadow VLX 600, the FZ6 is one bad hombre. No complaints from me after 3 weeks ownership.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
The paradox seems to be that the more I get used to shifting, the more likely I am to "miss" the shift from 1st to 2nd and hit neutral instead. I didn't miss a shift for the first 1200 km's, so I don't know if it's because I'm more relaxed on the bike now and don't shift like I'm kicking Chuck Norris in the goolies or what, but I'm finding that the more relaxed I am, the more likely I am to hit neutral instead of 2nd.
It's definitely the "longest" shift, so I'm probably just not putting enough effort into the shift from time to time. I'm working on it. :D

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah mine i pretty clunky shifting around 1st and 2nd even right after oil changes. I did not think that my chain was loose but I'll go home and check that tonight, give her a ride and see if things improve. I hope it does because it is frickin' annoying! I especially noticed it after taking my buddies GSX750 for a quick spin. Its clutch was really smooth compared to mine.

strike_force

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is clunky aswell aspecialy from 1st to 2nd, from 3rd up things get better. Chain and oil is fine. I read an article in a Greek magazine a while back and said that this is normal. The transmition is from the r6 as is the engine and they said in the article that this is the only "defect" of the bike. It has a clunky transmition but nothing to worry about. Hope they are right!

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also want to add a word about the shifting mechanism. It's flawless. Clutch action is effortless and the gears slip almost eagerly into place. No audible clanks, false neutral or balky shift points. Even though I love mine and only still got about 850Km on it (just got it) gear changes are a bit "clanky".

:confused:

B

bluenova

I find if I pre-load the gear lever before rolling off the throttle, it changes very smoothly. But I don't like to pre-load from 1st to 2nd cause if I'm not giving a lot of power it ends up in Neutral, so I put up with the embrassing clunk.

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
now that I have a few more miles on the bike I wouls say the shifting is quirky rather than clunky. Meaning if I do it right it is butter smooth and if I am off just a tad (CLUNK)

I am getting used to it +/- 2,800 miles and liking more each time I ride it.:thumbup:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
It's an old review (maybe 6 months or more?), we discussed it on the FZ6 Sportbikes.net group earlier in the year.... same comments about the FZ6's transmission being a "smooth" shifter...

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While I was working my way up to the FZ6 I had a Hyosung 250 Comet. Apart from the brakes being woeful, the gear change was 'em vague, like having a layer of carpet in the linkage. It would change fine and never missed a gear but it never gave you that happy feeling.

The FZ6 is the complete reverse, nice reassuring positive feel and a mechanical thunk when somebody is looking at you for good measure.;)