Nelson Rigg SSC-165 and SSC-140 Review!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, so this go around I am doing a review on my personal luggage that I use mainly for two-up, long distance riding. This includes the SSC-165 tail bag and the SSC-140 Mini Saddle bags. Both items can be found here and here. In addition to this I will be talking about the way I mount this set us as well.

Keep in mind, these bags have been used for a year and have roughly 3000 miles on them.

To start off with, the tail bag.
IMG_9885.jpg

IMG_9889.jpg

This tail bag is quite large in size and is NOT expandable. It uses the same features as the other Nelson Rigg tail bags they offer. The mounting straps all are the same as well. 2 large elastic bands with plastic hooks and multiple links to attach Nelson Rigg bags.

IMG_9890.jpg

The inside is rather large with more than enough room for one person's luggage for the weekend. An extra pair of tennis shoes, couple pairs of jeans and some shirts, etc. can easily fit in the tail bag alone if done correctly.

The lid has a large net compartment and cell phone/camera storage area for easy access as well. I normally keep maps and papers in this part.

IMG_9895.jpg

The rainfly is just large enough and comes with an adjustable elastic band built in. It is nice and thick and does are good job keeping the top and sides of the bag dry. (More details to come on this)

Overall, this is a nice top bag. It isnt adjustable, so that can create some issues. However it is large and holds a good amount. The seems are nice and strong and have held up well for me. The bag fine solo, and works well with the saddle bags for even more storage.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Now for the Saddlebags.

IMG_9900.jpg

These bags are the mini-saddle bags, which are perfect in size for the FZ6. On my trips the normally hold an extra pair of shoes each, one side is for my shoes, the other is for Jordans. In addition to that, I have all my underware and socks and a few other items in mine, and Jordan has the same in her's. My bag, her bag. Works great.

IMG_9901.jpg

In side each bag is a net pocket which behind it is another pocket as well.

IMG_9902.jpg

Upfront on each bag there is a cargo net that is designed to hold smaller water bottles for easy access. While I have never used them for much since we both run full face helments. The people who run modular helments could probably really take advantage of this!

IMG_9904.jpg

In each side pouch there is room for those small gift purchases, phones and other small items one might need quickly. I normally carry all the rain flys in one of these. There is room for a few pens/tire gauges as well as some buisness cards or maps.

IMG_9906.jpg

The back has multiple clips for linking up to other Nelson Rigg bags such the tail bag or roll bag.

IMG_9907.jpg

In addition there are anti-scratch pads that are include. This are place like so on the back of the bag in order to prevent the bags from scratching the bike. I normally do not run these, however I have ran them before.

IMG_9908.jpg

The rain flys are shaped for each side bag. The too have draw strings to secure them to the bags. However they are not a perfect seal. Your stuff will get soaked if you do not place a plastic bag inside like so...

IMG_9910.jpg

Here is why.

IMG_9909.jpg

Notice that the fly does not go all the way around the back side. Even with the scratch pads on, moisture still gets up in there. Not only does it get wet, but it catches water. The flys will actually hold water.

IMG_9942.jpg

This is a shot of them on the bike and you can see how the back of the bag is exposed. It is right there above the rear hugger and they catch all the water that comes near them. The last trip we rode home 4 hours in the rain. I poured the water out of the bags once we got home. Thankfully, I learned from the last trip to place all our belongings in a small bag inside. I have been meaning to call Nelson Rigg for a while now, but I keep forgetting. I might get around to it some time during the break.

Overall, they are not bad bags. If the water solution was resolved they would be be perfect. The large velcro straps are very secure and hold even the heaviest load with out and problems. Really, no complaints what so ever with capacity and mounting points, just the moisture issue. The work as a great compliment to the the tail bag.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Now for the mounting set up!

Now if you want to run the saddlebags and want them mounted as far back as possible, to utilize the passanger pegs, you will need to do some hacking. This is done to the tab that the seat latch catches on the seat. The opening is too small when the staps are in place. It will work with out cutting, however the strain placed on the lock is a good bit and you risk bending and breaking your key trying to lift the seat off.

IMG_9914.jpg

Now, to run the tail bag with Jordan on the back I use the givi rack to hold it. There was a large tab sticking up in the rear to hold a case, so since I have no use for that... off it came.

IMG_9916.jpg

In order to get the bags to hang straight, and not look goofy I used some PVC pipe. I believe it is 1'' O.D or 1.25" O.D pipe. I cut them about 6 inches long or so and painted them black.

IMG_9917.jpg

From there I drilled through each one twice, towards the sides so I could secure them to the side of the givi rack, like so.

IMG_9921.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

Using the large velro straps, I hang the bags up. However I run mine though the grab handles that way the front strap is behind the latch for the seat. This allows the passanger pegs to be used.

IMG_9925.jpg

IMG_9934.jpg

IMG_9931.jpg

Last edited:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
*EDIT* guess i should have noticed you JUST were posting these.

Nice. I have the saddlebags and was wanting to see how the tailbag was.:thumbup:

For mounting the supplied straps were not long enough for the way I wanted them. (They hung too low) so I took a zip tie and fed it through some vaccuum tube and tied that around the passenger footpeg brace with the supplied straps. when not in use i just tuck the buckles under the seat. I'm interested to see how you set them up.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Last part, the tail bag.

So once this is done, and really it makes it easier it is mounted first, that way you dont have to deal with getting the hooks around the bag straps.

But anyway, I then take the elastic bands with hooks and place the front ones under the exhaust.

IMG_9939.jpg

Then the rear hooks are stetched and crossed under the rack.

IMG_9941.jpg

IMG_9935.jpg

IMG_9933.jpg

And that is it for mounting. Pleanty of cargo room and plenty of room for the passenger. It works like a charm. Like I said, these bags have roughly 3000 miles on them and we have got a good system down now with taking them off and putting them back on.

Now before I end this I want you to note how much the bottom of the tail bag is exposed when mounted on the givi. This causes a bit of a problem as well. Since the rain fly only covers the sides, the bottom is left open to get wet, and it does. So yet again, the solution to this is simply placing a plastic bag inside.

IMG_9894.jpg

In this case, only a plastic bottom is needed. But to be safe if you can get a bag large enough to hold all your items that would be better.

So there ya go. There is my review on my luggage and how I mount it for two-up riding. I hope this helps!

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
*EDIT* guess i should have noticed you JUST were posting these.

Nice. I have the saddlebags and was wanting to see how the tailbag was.:thumbup:

For mounting the supplied straps were not long enough for the way I wanted them. (They hung too low) so I took a zip tie and fed it through some vaccuum tube and tied that around the passenger footpeg brace with the supplied straps. when not in use i just tuck the buckles under the seat. I'm interested to see how you set them up.

No worries!

I am kinda confused as to what straps you are refering to in this?

-bryan