Review: Yamaha's tall "Touring" windshield

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally installed my tall windshield tonight, along with the Throttlemeister.
Removing the old windshield on the '07 is a simple task, just six Phillips screws. These are plastic, I was surprised at how light they are.
When I compared the two windshields, I noticed that the tall one is smoke colored, whereas the OEM is clear. Looks kinda cool, and offsets the less-attractive flip/length of the new windshield. It's about 2" longer and a bit wider than the original.
Installation was no problem, just be careful about torquing those plastic screws. The box also contained a 2' length of clear plastic tubing about 3/16" dia and two squeeze/clampy thingies, but nothing in the instructions about what it was for. :confused: At first I thought it was a gasket between the windshield and the bike, but (a) the original doesn't have one, and (b) it wouldn't serve any useful purpose anyway. Then I thought perhaps it was to line the exposed edge of the windshield, but the tube is not split. So, for only $32.95 plus shipping I'll sell you a cool, original-Yammie tube, PM me! :D
Out to the interstate. I could feel windblast with the old windshield about mid-chest on up; with the new windshield it was about from my neck on up (I'm 6'5"). Where I could really feel a difference was my arms, it really seemed to shield them quite a bit better than the OEM windshield. When the Interstate weaved along the river for a bit, my faceshield filled up with bug splats, so it didn't change anything there (note that I'm too old to lay down on the tank, this was all upright riding).
Final Verdict: I won't take it off, but starting over I don't think I'd buy it again. I'll keep the original windshield, just in case when/if I dump the bike and shatter the tall one.

deljs

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review. Got a picture?

Ironically, I just cancelled my order for one of these yesterday. Having read some others opinions, here and abroad, it seemed to be of minimal wind deflection value and detracts from the appearance somewhat. Plus, after waiting for it for 2 weeks, they finally tell me yesterday that it is on backorder for at least 2 more weeks - none in the states (yeah, right, whatever).

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Botch I found that your review pretty much mirrors my own experience.
I ordered the tall screen with the bike (the “T” (Touring) version, Incl top box and tall windscreen) after I noticed lots of wind on my chest during the test ride (I’m 6’) . Strangely enough I also received the original windscreen with the bike so I have the standard and the touring windscreen.
I’m still looking for another windscreen but there are not too many on the market for the 07 Fazer (not that I know of anyway). In my experience the solution doesn’t have to be a tall windscreen, my previous bike (a diversion (I think you guys called it the Seca) 600) had a horizontal slit part way up it which helped diffuse the effect of getting all the wind concentrated over the top of the windshield. It worked like a dream, simple but effective.
I ride ¾ hour to my work in rain and shine (but not ice and snow) and although I have more fun on the Fazer my head gets buffeted about a lot more.
I am thinking about buying a vario screen strip after hearing good reviews from a mate of mine who rides a FJR.. You screw this strip to the existing windshield but it means I will have to drill four holes in it without even knowing if it will improve things.
This strip is similar to those shown on the vario screen windshield on the following site: http://www.mra.de
I have seen taller custom made windscreens on this site but I don’t know of anyone locally who does custom screens.

Has anyone had any experience in these matters or can give any tips in general?

Spike

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 FZ6. Bought the yamaha taller windscreen for better protection. Found the reduced air on the torso caused more pressure on my wrists. I could see the taller screen for weather protection but I went back to the stock screen.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally installed my tall windshield tonight, along with the Throttlemeister.
Removing the old windshield on the '07 is a simple task, just six Phillips screws. These are plastic, I was surprised at how light they are.
When I compared the two windshields, I noticed that the tall one is smoke colored, whereas the OEM is clear. Looks kinda cool, and offsets the less-attractive flip/length of the new windshield. It's about 2" longer and a bit wider than the original.
Installation was no problem, just be careful about torquing those plastic screws. The box also contained a 2' length of clear plastic tubing about 3/16" dia and two squeeze/clampy thingies, but nothing in the instructions about what it was for. :confused: At first I thought it was a gasket between the windshield and the bike, but (a) the original doesn't have one, and (b) it wouldn't serve any useful purpose anyway. Then I thought perhaps it was to line the exposed edge of the windshield, but the tube is not split. So, for only $32.95 plus shipping I'll sell you a cool, original-Yammie tube, PM me! :D
Out to the interstate. I could feel windblast with the old windshield about mid-chest on up; with the new windshield it was about from my neck on up (I'm 6'5"). Where I could really feel a difference was my arms, it really seemed to shield them quite a bit better than the OEM windshield. When the Interstate weaved along the river for a bit, my faceshield filled up with bug splats, so it didn't change anything there (note that I'm too old to lay down on the tank, this was all upright riding).
Final Verdict: I won't take it off, but starting over I don't think I'd buy it again. I'll keep the original windshield, just in case when/if I dump the bike and shatter the tall one.

Gratz on the new screen. Lots of people including myself are curious as to the looks of it. But :needpics:

You know what to do Botch ;)

willoby61726

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone try the Laminar Lip? I just bought one from Golfman on here and its on the way but a guy at work has one on his Bandit 1200 and he said he loves it. He also bought a taller windshield but said it beat it upperbody up when out in the country so he immediately took it off and but the Laminar Lip back on. Said its not perfect but its the best by far at wind deflection. Just my 2cents worth. Heres what it looks like. You can get it clear or smoke.

Laminar Products for Yamaha FZ-6

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the tall factory screen on my 06. I'm 5'-11" it does help protect the chest better specially with the Bar Back up and back offset. I was experiencing just a bit more turbulance around the helmet area than I wanted so on top of this put a laminar lip. I mounted it such that it's aprox 3" taller (a little over half the lip above). The air is now hitting just about at the top of my visor and a little further out on the shoulders. Because the lip was designed for the stock shield the fit to taller with it's "own" lip is off just a bit for the lock tabs to mate perfectly, specially the bottom ones. To solve this (even though I ran it up to 110mph and it stayed on) I got 2 "C" clamps heated the lower portion of lip (while on tall shield) put a rag for protection and clamped being careful not to over tighten but just enough to slightly bent the lip. When it cooled the fit was perfect.
Riding there is a bit of shield shake but nothing annoying. I ordered a smoke color which with bar backs (looks cool) but more allows me to see over to within 12 feet of front wheel.
I'm thinking of setting up a second set of "tabs" so I can possibly raise the lip another - as close to 2 inches as possible. This might just get the air completely over my helmet. In any event the tabs seem to work and seem if need to be repositioned can come off with a slow peel.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Certainly it's a height thing. I've had the factory "tall" windshield on my '04 for some time, and it works well for me. I'm about 5'9", and with the stock windshield, I was getting a lot of helmet-bounce at speed, unless I really tucked in. Spent years doing that, no fun any more.

With the tall windshield, the wind is hitting me just above the visor, and I'm getting no "bounce" well into triple digits. I tend to cruise fast, so this counts for a lot.

I did have to improvise a better mount for the front "point" mount tab, as it tended to rattle, but I was able to solve with a little creative use of a properly-sized plastic drywall anchor and screw. Can't see it, and it's at least twice as strong. Gotta do what you gotta do, right?

Maybe I crouch more than others, but my vote says yes.

slammer111

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a GIVI windshield on mine. Previous owner stuck it on and I never bothered comparing it to the original, but supposedly it's some 3-4" longer.

This thing is seriously the shiz. (next to the GIVI V46 trunk box the owner also threw in) Ducking, I am able to completely get my head in there quite easily.

I should be a GIVI salesman or something. Quite impressed with their stuff in general.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a GIVI windshield on mine. Previous owner stuck it on and I never bothered comparing it to the original, but supposedly it's some 3-4" longer.

This thing is seriously the shiz. (next to the GIVI V46 trunk box the owner also threw in) Ducking, I am able to completely get my head in there quite easily.

I should be a GIVI salesman or something. Quite impressed with their stuff in general.

:needpics:

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious, does anyone know if the 11" Cal Sci windshield will throw the wind over my helmet. I'm 5'10" and like to ride upright. It also seems like the 11" might top off at about my line of sight, which is probably not good. Don't mean to hijack the thread, just trying to figure out what, indeed, is the best "touring" windshield. I had a Givi on the Silver Wing and that thing was the best after market product I ever purchased.

acim

Reaction score
www.acim.net

Could you post some pictures, please? Do you have 440D + D440KIT? Thank you in advance.

catch22

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually bought the tall windshield too. Everything said in prior post is correct. The new shield is smoked colored, it does raise the wind from chest or upper body to the forhead or front of the helmet. It is noisey. I think it is a slight improvement over all in looks and perhaps effectiveness on the wind. I still have the tall windshield on and it's been a year now. I find I'm always looking at other shields. I found a helmet that helps the sound and wind flow. So untill I hear of a great shield I'll keep the tall shield.

saveitk

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I wish I knew what to do. I'm 6'6", so this post makes me think there is nothing I can do other than get a used FJR.

I'll check into that Laminar lip, I appreciate the link.

I have the Puig screen on mine now, I still get beat up at hwy speeds.

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, I wish I knew what to do. I'm 6'6\", so this post makes me think there is nothing I can do.

As far as I know...you are correct. I am 6'-7", and I have just gotten used to the wind. I also have the Puig Screen , and If I tuck my chin, it seems to help. However, I figured the wind is nothing compared to the guys who have the streetfighter bikes. So, no complaints here.:thumbup: