Review: Throttlemeister Cruise Control

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got a couple things installed on my bike tonight, so a couple reviews. I ordered the Throttlemeister on Wednesday, it was in my mailbox on Friday! My Mom had just flown in for a visit, so I had to set it on the shelf for a few days, ow... ;)
They come in Standard and Heavyweight, I ordered the heavies but they're about the same weight as the OEM bar-ends, so no reduction in vibration was expected or noticed. They are absolutely beautifully machined, really nice hardware, and they look fantastic on the bike, no additional levers or paddles sticking out anywhere; I got the textured black finish.
Installation took me about twenty minutes, required some metric Allen wrenches and LocTite 242. The only deviation from the instructions was installing the friction sleeve; you're supposed to "roll back" the handle grip first, but that ain't gonna happen on the FZ6. I was able to just tap on the friction sleeve, it slid underneath the handle grip just fine.
The unit comes with three sizes of washers, so you can custom-fit the friction to your bike. The way it works, the main knob simply twists fore and aft, which extends a sleeve that friction locks against the throttle grip, simple and effective. The unit comes with a matching knob for the other side of the handlebar, it went on in 30 seconds.
Headed out onto the Interstate to try it out, and hit my first problem. I'm not sure how you're supposed to rotate the knob! You can't use your right hand, as you're holding the throttle. With much fear (I'm still not too comfortable at Interstate speeds) I reached over with my left hand and flipped it over; after that it worked just fine. Perhaps you're supposed to flip it on before you get on the Interstate (its a friction contact and you can rotate the throttle with it on) but that doesn't seem right either; any suggestions?
All in all, it's very well made, looks great, and works, I just need to figure out the best way to use it. I don't anticipate too much long cruising miles, so it'll work for me.

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
With practice you will be able to hold the throttle steady with the index and middle fingers of your right hand while rotating the barrel with the pniky and fourth finger.

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh great! I'm supposed to work the fingers on the same hand independently of each other? I can't even do the Spock "Live long and prosper" hand/finger split!! I guess for me, all is lost!!!!!:banghead:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With practice you will be able to hold the throttle steady with the index and middle fingers of your right hand while rotating the barrel with the pniky and fourth finger.
Ah! Good thing I'm a musician. :D

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got a couple things installed on my bike tonight, so a couple reviews. I ordered the Throttlemeister on Wednesday, it was in my mailbox on Friday! My Mom had just flown in for a visit, so I had to set it on the shelf for a few days, ow... ;)
They come in Standard and Heavyweight, I ordered the heavies but they're about the same weight as the OEM bar-ends, so no reduction in vibration was expected or noticed. They are absolutely beautifully machined, really nice hardware, and they look fantastic on the bike, no additional levers or paddles sticking out anywhere; I got the textured black finish.
Installation took me about twenty minutes, required some metric Allen wrenches and LocTite 242. The only deviation from the instructions was installing the friction sleeve; you're supposed to "roll back" the handle grip first, but that ain't gonna happen on the FZ6. I was able to just tap on the friction sleeve, it slid underneath the handle grip just fine.
The unit comes with three sizes of washers, so you can custom-fit the friction to your bike. The way it works, the main knob simply twists fore and aft, which extends a sleeve that friction locks against the throttle grip, simple and effective. The unit comes with a matching knob for the other side of the handlebar, it went on in 30 seconds.
Headed out onto the Interstate to try it out, and hit my first problem. I'm not sure how you're supposed to rotate the knob! You can't use your right hand, as you're holding the throttle. With much fear (I'm still not too comfortable at Interstate speeds) I reached over with my left hand and flipped it over; after that it worked just fine. Perhaps you're supposed to flip it on before you get on the Interstate (its a friction contact and you can rotate the throttle with it on) but that doesn't seem right either; any suggestions?
All in all, it's very well made, looks great, and works, I just need to figure out the best way to use it. I don't anticipate too much long cruising miles, so it'll work for me.
Any pictures of the install or on how this gizmo works?