Nelson Rigg CL-150 Expandable Tail Bag

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that school is out, I actually have some free time to get something accomplished. Now before I get started on this review I want to mention that this bag is not mine. It belongs to my roommate who uses it on his 07' GSXR 600. He uses it from time to time in order to cary a weekends worth of clothes when he rides the bike home or when we go to the beach for the weekend. This thing has tons of room!

Here is a link for purchase if you so choose. Nelson Rigg Cl-150 [Forsyth Moto]

And off we go:

This bag is very similar to the Silver streak bag series, the mounting hooks, straps and connectors are all the same. Which makes me think it would interchangeable with the other luggage that they offer.

Its size un expanded is quite nice, not too big but enough to hold a couple pairs of jeans, shirts etc.

IMG_9834.jpg

IMG_9835.jpg

IMG_9843.jpg

IMG_9846.jpg

The inside has a few storage area, one being the small net on the leftside of the deep pocket, which is handy for maps, polishing rags, etc. The top storage works great for holding a couple screwdrivers and most importantly a tire pressure gauge. The cargo net there is rather large as well. Josh mainly keeps his rain fly in that most of the time.

IMG_9839.jpg

IMG_9842.jpg

IMG_9836.jpg

Expanded! Now most of the time when I think of something that is expandable I think maybe an inch. Just enough to take some of the pressure off the seams. Not in this case! This thing gains atleast 4 inches in room when expanded!

In addition to the main compartments expanding the the side pockets expand. Which would be great for carrying Rain flys in if you have multiple bags loaded up. One thing I do like is that the expanded material is the same as the rest of the bag, however when unexpanded it doesn't take up alot of room in the main compartment. See previous photos for that.

Nelson Rigg's also made the rain fly expandable as well, that way it never falls short of coverage. Same material as the other bags they offer. Nice and thick with a strong elastic band to secure it around the bottom.

***Side note, if you are mounting the bag on a Givi rack, like I do with my other bags, the rain fly does not wrap around to the bottom. The hole in the givi rack will allow moisture to soak through the bottom. In this case, a plastic bag should be placed on the bottom of the inside to keep items dry.***

IMG_9849.jpg

IMG_9852.jpg

As you can see in the pictures above. The rain fly is expandable as well using the same rugged zipper as used on the bags.

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Like I said, I have never run this bag on my bike. However the straps and clips are the same as my silver streak. So I mounted it like I do it.

Two elastic bands up front to the passenger pegs. Then then rear two straps are hooked around my FE kit. The elastic bands are connected together in these bags. The Front Left hook is connected to the same band as the Rear right, and vice-versa.

IMG_9853.jpg

IMG_9854.jpg

IMG_9856.jpg

IMG_9857.jpg

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG_9860.jpg

IMG_9861.jpg

So there ya go. You can see how I have the bag mounted and how it looks both un expanded and expanded.

Oh and the bag does what Nelson says it will. It will hold a full size helment when expanded.

So there ya go. The Nelson Rigg CL-150 tail bag.

-bryan

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same bag and I love it.
The thing is truly enormous, for illustrative purposes here is a list of all of the things I have transported in mine:
  • a weeks worth of groceries
  • a weeks worth of clothes + toiletries
  • gym clothes + shoes + lunchbox
  • full 2-piece textile suit(minus backpad) + spare face shield
  • an xbox 360 (in retail box)
  • Rhode Island

I also have the CL1000 saddle bags which do connect to them (although I've never actually needed to). As much as I originally fought the tail bag (didn't want to lose my passenger seat), it's by far the most useful thing I've ever bought for the bike.

Good review man.:thumbup::thumbup: