European Coast Trip

Leaver

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

Me and a friend have both managed get three months off work to go on a big motorbike trip. We decided a while ago we wanted to go around the coast of Europe.

I've got an '04 FZ6 Fazer which when I bought it came with a top box, some Oxford heated hand-grips and the Yamaha touring windscreen (a little higher than the standard). To this I have added some PowerMadd wind deflectors, I have bought a Givi PL351 side luggage rack (which unfortunately doesn't come with the 351 kit which I have also now ordered!) and am getting some panniers made up by a friend. I may also get a tank bag and I definitely need to do something about the wind noise (either higher or lower screen or cut a bottom hole in it, or add a laminar clip-on depending on which thread you read!) as I find it unbearably loud over 50 or 60 mph even with earplugs in unless I crouch down near the tank - not an ideal solution for a three month ride!

I'll post some photos in a few weeks when I've got it kitted out a bit.

My friend has an 1150 GS BMW with ..... well, panniers and a tank bag, some heated grips and guards, but I couldn't tell you much more than that to be honest!

We have just begun to realise how little time we have to get things organised as we are off on the 2nd of February. We have laid out a draft of our planned route online and you're welcome to have a look and comment on how good/difficult/stupid/impossible our first thoughts are! Obvious initial areas of concern riding-wise are the Ukraine-Belarus-Lithuania inland section (being March it could be very cold, but I guess the main roads will be pretty well salted) and basically all of Norway (Tromso may be unreachable in April and the ride down the West coast could either be the best riding ever or a nightmare of snow and expensive ferry crossings!)

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&encType=1&cid=21AFD4EFF5225DBD!128

Wish us luck!

Jimmmy

B

bluenova

Looks like a fantastic trip, I would love to do something like that.

Why so early in the year? I think East Europe and Scandinavia in March/April is going to be a real challenge.

Will you be camping or lodging?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a great trip but as Bluenova says it's going to be tricky in the colder climes.

If you fancy we could possibly meet up for a drink/ ride (depending on when you'll be passing through Holland).

BTW you'll be passing within a couple of hundred meters of my house.

Good luck with the planning :thumbup:

Last edited:

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
are you having aluminium panniers made up? Id love to see an fz6 with those, would look pretty hardcore i rekon :)

Hats off to you dude, me and the gf are wanting to do a trip like that in a couple o years when we have some cash saved, but considering putting it all the credit card and paying it later hehe

If you dont mind me asking, how much have you budgeted for it?

Dave

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Just a few remarks on the planned route:

The wife is from Lofoten in northen Norway, and she therefore knows that part of norway kinda good, so:
Be aware that in most of norway, the dont clear the reads for snow, - they will spread sand and gravel on them to increse traction, but especialy north of "Salt-fjellet" you are very likely to be driving in snow.

Your danish part looks like what I would recomend, - looks like you will be driving more or less right by my house :), - If you need a place to crash, shower and get a decent meal let me know :) ,- Im located in Northen Jutland.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a couple of sites that could be a total godsend for your trip so do not pass these by:

Horizons Unlimited - THE Motorcycle Travel site

The guys on that site will tell you everything you need to know about routes, weather, places to stay, gear to take etc etc etc. A lot of people in the stories section will have done parts of your route, if not all of it.

CouchSurfing - Participate in Creating a Better World, One Couch At A Time

This is a group that will supply coffee, information, a bed for a couple of days, all for free. There are a few motorbike groups on here who will have lots of information. There are people in almost every town on your route who can give you very detailed information about anything you need. You do not even need to stay with them just get in touch for info and they will be happy to help.

I live near the Danish/German border so if you need anything just drop me a line and I will arrange it for you.

Number 1 on your list should be breakdown cover that will at least get your bike home.

Looks like a great trip and I hope I can meet up with you somewhere.

Steve

Leaver

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, thanks everyone for all the advice. And the offers of tea/rides/beds are very nice. I'll be sure to keep you all updated!

Leaver

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello again everyone. I was trying to upload some photos but with limited success! We've got some on our blog though at edandjames.travellerspoint.com

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
About the wind,

Maybe you need a new helmet? With earplugs, you shouldn't even hear the wind. Maybe you need some better earplugs? I recommend some re-useable ones, not the foam ones. I think mine are "SilentEar" brand or something, and they're great.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Just wanted to

1. bump this thread
and
2. Wish Ed & James a safe last 3 days of their journey.
They stopped by here in Denmark yesterday and the day before, - and I had the great pleasure to ride with them on some of the Friday leg here in Denmark.
Great couple of bikers, - both of them real tough for doing Europe in 3 months, - almost 16000 miles!!!!
If any of you in The Netherlands happen to see 2 over packed English bikes on Sunday or Monday, - make sure to send them on their way asap, - they need to be back in England by Tuesday, - and if you don't they will empty your house for beer and whiskey (Or at least have a go at it :))

EDIT: Don't forget to check their blog at : http://edandjames.travellerspoint.com/

Last edited:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
The 3 bikes in our garden:

3_bikes_001.jpg