Removing triple tree and rearsets

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking to have a few things powdercoated on the FZ this winter. wondering how do i remove the triple tree and rear sets? are there any real simple? or are there any tricks to remember? i have heard that the ignition is a bit of a pain... just looking for instructions as i have never taken these apart before. Im sure i can do it, just not sure if there is some bit of knowledge that could possibly save me some time.

looking to go from this...

2008-Yamaha-FZ6g-small.jpg

to this...
(thanks makanouchi, you beat me to it! hehe)
bar1.jpg

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Three things.

1. Support the bike so that the front wheel is off the ground. (This may be a bit of a Duh! piece of advice.)

2. When you reassemble, look in the service manual to see how to adjust the steering head bearings.

3. Might as well put in tapered roller bearings while you've got it all apart.

Last edited:

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
You can't.. "remove" the ignition. It's got a mushroom head top that's machine pressed in. You have to drimel it off. PITA.

The rear sets are easy enough. Just a couple bolts and some manuvering around the brake and shift rods. Some people have left the rubber grommits in while powercoating and have had no problems. If you want to remove them I used a socket to press them out when I had to replace my rearset.

S

sportrider

the front end is pretty easy to remove, you will need a tamper proof torks to remove the ignition I don't remember the size off hand. I looked on my R1 but it is different then I remember it on my FZ6.

Kilbane83

Member With Members
Reaction score
Visit site
I dunno when I had to replace mine there was No way at all to remove the bolt from the ignition. It wasn't a Torx or anything. Maybe mine was special :thumbup:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a "bolt" holding the ignition. The easiest way to remove it is to grind or drill the head off, pull off the switch assembly, and then unscrew what's left of the "bolt" and replace it with a new bolt of the same length and thread count from a hardware store.

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
How to remove ignition switch from top yoke....

It is a "bolt" holding the ignition. The easiest way to remove it is to grind or drill the head off, pull off the switch assembly, and then unscrew what's left of the "bolt" and replace it with a new bolt of the same length and thread count from a hardware store.

FREAKIN' KUDOS to Sawblade. I did exactly as he said.

I took my Dremel and a small metal cutting disc and went to town. It took a little while to grind them down, but I eventually made it through. After grinding through, the ignition switch came right off the top yoke. I then put the remainder of the bolt in my vice and turned the yoke. The rest was easy because the bolts were finger loose. WOOT WOOT the ignition switch is off... :rockon:

IMG_5559.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg

IMG_5561.jpg

IMG_5562.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to do this in the near future, too. I stopped by a local Yamaha dealer to ask how they got ignitions off -- they do it with a dremel, too. The guy in the shop was nice enough to give me a couple of replacement "security" bolts. They have a special head that apparently snaps off after they're tightened down.

Here's what they look like:

View attachment 15397