SW-Motech Bar Risers/Bar Backs

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
For those freakishly tall people like me who find themselves reaching/leaning forward uncomfortably in order to reach the handlebars, these risers offer a nice 1.4 in by 45 degree offset from the FZ6 stock handlbar position. I picked up my pair from twistedthrottle.com for $111 shipped.

Here's what that money gets you:
IMGP2151.jpg

What you may or may not be able to see is that the instruction are in german and are pretty much worthless, good thing this is an extremely straight-forward install. The hardest part is figuring out which bolts are which (there are three sizes).

Stock handlebar setup:
IMGP2146.jpg

After removing the top bar clamp:
IMGP2149.jpg

Removed top clamp:
IMGP2148.jpg

Last edited:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I decided to forgo using the provided bar clamps and keep the original yamaha top clamp on my setup. I think it looks better, plus it is scientifically proven that each yamaha logo left on your bike adds 3hp.

Reassembled with original top clamp:
IMGP2154.jpg

IMGP2155.jpg

IMGP2158.jpg

Last edited:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
20 Minutes later, after giving her a bath, realizing i had installed the top clamp upside down, removing the top clamp and re-installing the correct way:
IMGP2160.jpg

IMGP2161.jpg

IMGP2162.jpg

IMGP2163.jpg

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Initial thoughts:
The offset is nice but I'm not entirely sure if it lives up to my expectations yet, I'll reserve that final judgement until after i've put some miles on it. The seating position is definitely more comfortable, i don't have to reach as much and my shoulders are much less tense after riding. Handling has not been negatively affected as far as I can tell. I didn't take it out to any super twisty roads yet so I can't speak for hard turns, but it seemed easier to push her down into a lean. That could just be my imagination though. All in all I'm very happy with my choice, it was expensive for a relatively tiny part but in the long run it's going to save me a lot of discomfort, which makes it money well spent.

While i was out testing the new ride I took a few tourist pics.

Here are a few shots of Louisville's sad little skyline:
IMGP2170.jpg

IMGP2176.jpg

Check it, even Rodin's thinker can't take his eyes of my bike.....sweet!!!!
IMGP2167.jpg

Last edited:

deljs

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write-up & pics. I just ordered one of these last Friday. Am hoping it helps alleviate the locked elbow riding position. I'm more interested in comfort than emulating johnny-racer. Still, even the stock bar position is better than the clipons of the ZZR600 I was also considering.

Love the Rodin picture - too cool! :thumbup:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the main change that I'm noticing for me, is not necessarily that I don't have to slouch/lean forward to get a comfortable grip on the bars, it's that I can now sit further back from the tank. It may not seem like much but it makes it a LOT more comfortable ride. I'll do a more thorough evaluation when I get back from Michigan on monday. 1200+ miles in 4 days should give me plenty of saddle time to form an opinion.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
So I put 1501 (not sure how I managed that exact number, but honest to god that's what the trip odo says) on the bike this weekend and I think I'm ready to finally give a thorough evaluation report on the risers.

If you are going to do any long distance riding (>300 miles), and you aren't 100% comfortable with the current bar setup....you want to put these things on your fz6. I did two 500 mile days and two 250 mile days, the 250's weren't much, but at the end of the 500's my butt was killing me (need to get a new seat before I do any more long trips), but my shoulders, arms and back were just fine. Before I put the risers on, a "short" 100 mile weekend trip would leave my back and shoulders sore and tense. Like I said earlier, the biggest improvement that I noticed, was that I no longer had to sit as close to the tank, I was able to sit further back in the seat and sit straighter. On long trips this makes a huge difference.

In regards to performance, I honestly haven't noticed any difference in how the bike handles. One of my biggest reservations about buying the risers was that I thought I might lose some of the bikes sharpness in the turns. This turned out to be completely unfounded. I took the bike through some pretty twisty routes at speed and with 50lbs of gear strapped to the back. I never felt like she had lost any of her response (maybe I just wasn't taking the corners as hard as i thought before?).

The only thing that is really different, is that you can't tuck in behind the windshield quite the same as before. Before, I used to be able to lay down on the tank and still have my arms at a comfortable angle to the handlebars, now it's a little bit uncomfortable. I only really noticed because on the really long stretches, when my behind started to get sore, I would try and lay down on the tank to get my weight off the seat. I'm pretty sure putting in a better seat will remedy this and remove any need for me to lean that far forward.

I think what I'm really starting to appreciate about this bike is the polymorphism (any other developers out there???). With a little bit of tweaking you really can turn an FZ6 into just about anything you want. Plenty of people on this forum have turned theirs into race bikes, some into streetfighters, and some into touring bikes. It really is flexible enough to do any of the above, and I don't think i fully realized it's potential until I took it on a long haul this past weekend. I guess my final thoughts are these, I love my bike more and more the longer I have it.

deljs

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write-up shaggystyle. All good news is always great to hear!
I just received and installed mine (SW-Motech risers) this afternoon. After a short test drive, I was feeling somewhat warm & fuzzy. Now, having read your 1501 mile opinion, I feel warmer and fuzzier. :)

Bars position and seat discomfort have been my only gripes about the FZ6. I'm at 1250 miles on the odo, and the seat has gotten a bit better. I've been hoping that these risers may help solve the seat "problem" by making it more comfortable to sit further back where the seat is wider. Seems that the narrowness towards the front of the seat, to accomodate shorter inseams, eliminates thigh support (longer distance comfort). FWIW, I am 6'0" w/33" inseam.

Have to agree with you about this wonderful bike. It can be/is whatever you want it to be. I just love it!!!

Thanks again for reporting back.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
This is about as far as I've gotten on my install! Looks like shaggy whoped my butt on this one. I'll get them installed tomorrow and let you guys know what I think in a few days.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I finally got mine installed today and put 30 miles on them. I'm not sure what to think yet! It does make it feel like a differant bike, that's for sure. It does allow me to pull my nuts off the tank and sit back a little on the seat, and seems to make it a more comfortiable ride. I'll have to put alot more miles on it to give a solid opinion though.

I don't really like how low the stock top plate is, but I still think it looks better than the Motech top caps. Overall I am pleased with the quality, but not with the color match(I knew that going in though).

lexyallen2

BeachBum
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Good Comfort; Decrease in performance

I installed the risers, road a thousand miles, took them off, and immediately felt the difference in corners.

If I go on long rides, I'll reinstall the risers, but, for my daily commute to school, I keep them off. I felt a big difference in turning response with them on. The bike didn't feel as stable (granted, this is during very hard and fast turns). In normal riding, however, it doesn't affect the cornering, and it is noticeably more comfortable. But, since I like to push my bike hard in corners, I'll keep them off around town.

2X80MPH

This is a great buy at $111! As a tool & die maker these pieces are not hard to make but getting "set-up" is where the cost comes in ... especially to make a "one off" pair! They look great on your bike!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after
the sweetness of a cheap price is forgotten!"

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question, can you turn them around and use them to get a more aggressive riding position? Not that i am looking to change anything yet but it might be something to remember about.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question, can you turn them around and use them to get a more aggressive riding position? Not that i am looking to change anything yet but it might be something to remember about.

I have a similar thought on this. I have heard of using clipons to get a more agressive feel, but dont you have to lower it a lot in the front? And wouldnt i have to cut out part of the fairing that is in the way?

Rick

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you think that it would be a good mod for a short girl .
Might be easier to reach the bars ?

Good write up guy's