Caberg Trip 2007 model.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was never a fan of the multipurpose flip up lids until I recently saw Cloggys.
My . negatives were based around the following:

I thought they looked a bit old man'ish (sorry Cloggy)
Multi purpose lids generally don't crash as well.
They can be a bit heavy.
Not many are ACU gold rated.

Yesterday I got a brand new (worn twice) helmet from a nice lady rider at a bargain £50.00. Driving to work this winter has be making me crazy trying to find the best balance of visor open to stop my glasses fogging up.
Alas to no avail. Then coming home, the low setting sun on the horizon has been causing me all manner of visual awareness problems.
I decided to take the plunge.
The specification for the lid are:

Very similar in style to the amazing V2 Race helmet only this version has a flip-up front piece. This means that the helmet can be in one of four styles:

Chin Piece Down - Inner Visor Up
Chin Piece Down - Inner Visor Down
Chin Piece Up - Inner Visor Up
Chin Piece Up - Inner Visor Down
And that doesn't even take into account all the possibilities with outer visor either being up or down, the additional images below should help explain this.

Specifications:

• Double anti-turbulance nape shield
• Double Visor Tech
• Flip Front Piece
• Movable stop wind
• Rain protection rims
• Scratch resistance visor
• Sanitized lining
• CoolMax lining
• Under varnish decoration
• Quick release strap
• Painted helmet
• Internal air circulation
• Removable Coolmax lining
• Quick release visor
• Removable nose shield
• European approval : ECE22.05
• Weight : approx. 1.7kg

Some of the reviews I have read mention that there is a higher level of wind noise. I wear plugs so did not notice this to be a problem. The internal padding is designed to have an intercom speaker fitted and will easily accommodate thoes of you who wear I-pods.
It weighs about 250g more than my HJC but I did not notice any undue neck ache. The design may make this problem less of an issue.
The visor is easy to open with one hand and has a good ratchet system.
The integral dark visor is also easy to operate with your left hand whilst on the move. [edit, the manual does not endorse this action.]

All in all I am very happy with my new lid and look forward to seeing how it performs throughout the rest of the winter.

Nelly

CABERGTripHelmetMediumBlack57-582.jpg

Why do photbucket sometimes delete your pictures?

Last edited:
A

Aggietaco

Neat looking helmet.

I still have reservations about their safety though.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
That does look good/versatile. I'd like a flip-up because I wear glasses and it's a pain to put them on. Might be able to leave them on while sliding the helmet over my head and then dropping the face shield.

I've heard that those aren't "rated" as full-face helmets (though not sure exactly how helmets are rated). Seems what I recall is that they don't withstand lower face impact. I've seen a chart in books showing where head injuries happen - 40% are in the area that only a full-face visor protects from.

But if you are looking at improved visibility vs improved protection, that is probably a good tradeoff.

Would be interested to hear your response on if this is "rated" as a full-face helmet.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a really nice helmet, great review :thumbup:
I don't think I would remove the chin part though, but what would I know I'm an "old man" ;).

I love my Nolan flip up, it's really practical, OK it is one of the heaviest helmets on the market, but I still love it. My lid doesn't have the neat sun visor feature yours has, only a similar thing you can mount on the outside of the helmet (they do have it on the newer helmets) so I'm going to stick with my sun glasses for now.

I love flipping up my helmet when travelling through (slower) traffic in the summer, to get some fresh air,
I love my (removable) chin guard that seals off the cold air in the winter.
I love my pin lock visor that ensures it doesn't steam up.
I love the variable chin strap (easy to adjust to put a neck tube under).

In short I'm definately a flip up kinda guy :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a really nice helmet, great review :thumbup:
I don't think I would remove the chin part though, but what would I know I'm an \"old man\" ;).

I love my Nolan flip up, it's really practical, OK it is one of the heaviest helmets on the market, but I still love it. My lid doesn't have the neat sun visor feature yours has, only a similar thing you can mount on the outside of the helmet (they do have it on the newer helmets) so I'm going to stick with my sun glasses for now.

I love flipping up my helmet when travelling through (slower) traffic in the summer, to get some fresh air,
I love my (removable) chin guard that seals off the cold air in the winter.
I love my pin lock visor that ensures it doesn't steam up.
I love the variable chin strap (easy to adjust to put a neck tube under).

In short I'm definately a flip up kinda guy :thumbup:
The New Caberg 2008 is only £90.00 and is ACU Gold rated. Thta will be my next one.
I love flip ups.

Nelly

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting the Caberg V2, it's a full-face version of that flip. Five star Sharp rated, ACU Gold, flip down sunvizor, anti fog and all for £80. Bargain!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting the Caberg V2, it's a full-face version of that flip. Five star Sharp rated, ACU Gold, flip down sunvizor, anti fog and all for £80. Bargain!
THey do the justissimo which is like the trip but ACU Gold two.

Nelly