Sizing a leather jacket: advice needed

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been trying on leather jackets for a while now with a view to buying one, but can't seem to make my mind up with the sizing.
I'm down to one jacket which I REALLY like, the Alpinestars "Ice" jacket, which is sized in 'standard' S,M,L,XL,XXL.
I'm 5'8" and 175lbs.
The Large feels very comfortable, but the sleeves are just a tad too long and the 'body' of the jacket moves somewhat easily side to side and up and down.
The Medium is quite 'snug' on my body, the sleeves are perfect and I've got lots of free movement in the shoulders, chest and arms.
The only problem with the Medium is I have the feeling it's too small for me around my stomach. It certainly gives me back my schoolboy figure :eek: when it's zipped up over my 36" abdomen, but it is a little bit of a relief to unzip it too...it's not exactly like a life raft inflating, but it is a bit of a relief.
Here's my problem:- Do I buy the Medium and rely on the fact that leather will stretch and fit in time, or go for the Large, which is comfortable (if a bit mis-sized) already? I do know that a good leather motorcycling jacket should be a snug, but comfortable, fit.
Slimming down to a 34" waist again is not an option...ain't gonna happen.:p

anot

Reaction score
Visit site
I would buy the smallest size that I can actually get on, because the jacket will stretch roughly one size. If you buy the larger size and you have a crash, the protectors WILL move around and therefore wont protect where they are supposed to. That is atleast my opinion on the matter... And looking like a young strapping solid bodied lad isn't all that bad...

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
it will stretch a little but a whole size ... not likely.

If there is no chance you will be going to the 34 anytime soon ...is there the chance you may go to a 37;) thus making the jacket look like a sausage casing.

If the arms on the med are not long that could be an issue. You usually want the sleeves a bit long on a riding jacket because your arms will be out in front of you to some degree.

I would go with the large you are not getting any younger or likely smaller:p

good luck

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! :banghead::D
The medium sized jacket's arm length is perfect. I sat on a new FZ6 in the showroom and the cuffs stay right at my wrist, falling a bit over the start of my hand if the snap closure isn't done up.
I'm hoping our family's genetics will keep me slim and trim...I've got 4 brothers and one sister, all of us are in trim shape for our ages.
I'll go with the Medium. :)
If you see my jacket in the For Sale section this time next year, you'll know the result of me being the only beer drinker in the family. :D

Last edited:

anot

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't mean from Medium to Large, if it is a size 46 (small) it will probably stretch to roughly 47, my jacket definately did!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm......Vancouver BC? Are you planning to wear a sweatshirt or sometype of heavy clothing underneath for the cold rides? If so, I would go with larger size.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I did consider the Large size based on the eventuality that I might want to wear a fleece heavy sweatshirt under it for cold weather.
However, I will be parking my bike for the winter in October until (probably) March.
The weather in Vancouver is quite mild compared to the rest of Canada, so for shortish (1 to 2 hour) rides around the city in the late spring and early fall, just the leather jacket with the liner over a t-shirt should be good. If I was going to go on a longer ride that might involve cooler/wet weather, I would wear my Joe Rocket textile jacket and pants....they're waterproof and quite warm.
The Alpinstars Ice leather jacket is just to make me look cool. :D
Great advice all! Thanks. :)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm......Vancouver BC? Are you planning to wear a sweatshirt or sometype of heavy clothing underneath for the cold rides? If so, I would go with larger size.
I made that mistake, its a real bummer. Fortunatley I was able to change the jacket.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! :banghead::D
The medium sized jacket's arm length is perfect. I sat on a new FZ6 in the showroom and the cuffs stay right at my wrist, falling a bit over the start of my hand if the snap closure isn't done up.
I'm hoping our family's genetics will keep me slim and trim...I've got 4 brothers and one sister, all of us are in trim shape for our ages.
I'll go with the Medium. :)
If you see my jacket in the For Sale section this time next year, you'll know the result of me being the only beer drinker in the family. :D
Thats a top tip sitting on the bike to see how it all fits.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm more happy with my Medium sized Alpinestars jacket now than I was last friday when I bought it... :)
I think it's because the 'style' of men's clothing for the past 10 years or so has been loose-fitting, suddenly wearing something 'snug' just didn't feel right. As the young fellow in the bike shop said "It's not a casual jacket...it's a motorcycle jacket, so it should fit snug".
To complete the "Fonzy" image, my baggy-arsed grandpa jeans have got to go, though.... :lol:
Buying any sort of clothing in North America is always a challenge for someone cursed with a Standard British Issue 5'8"/175lb/29" inseam frame. Great news for an Aldershot drill sergeant who likes to see a squad all the same size, but it's like being from another planet when shopping at Sears.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there Jeans to go with the jacket? That said though you can also end up over dressed or over styled. I see this guy most mornings on new GXSA. He has got all the gear. One piece taylor made racing leathers complete with hump. Top of the range Puma boots with flexible armour. He has still got the fine rubber strands on his chicken strip thats about 2" wide. But dam does he look good in a straight line. Style over function.