Leather suit

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking into buying leather suit or a 2 pc. As far as safety and track days, what is the best, 1pc or 2 pc and, whats the difference between leather and textile. As far as the suits (either one) how much do they cost and whats a good place to oder from.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey. I'm no expert, but I bought a two-piece leather suit from Dainese this summer and it was really good imo. What's nice about it is that it zips together so it basically feels like a one-piece. I used a cordura (textile) touring suit before and it's nowhere near as comfortable as the leather. I think it's reasonable to think that a one-piece is the safest though as it has fewer weak points. A lot can happen to make the two-piece come apart. There's a reason why all the big guys wear one-piece leather suits..:thumbup:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Dainese cordura pants & jacket for the winter & touring and leather for spirited riding. The reasons being:

1) Cordura is a good protective garment (over 750 denier)
2) Cordura is light = comfortable
3) Can keep you warmer (with liners installed) than leather
4) Cordura is one-use. It is completely compromised in a single crash. Leather may be repairable.
5) Cordura is a synthetic and its quality does not degrade over the years as the leather does
6) Tear resistance of leather goes down dramatically with a loose fit. Its tear resistance is higher than most synthetics when it stays stretched (i.e. snug fit)

Safety wise the one piece is safer, but that doesn't make the 2 pc unsafe. I would go for a 2 pc. Easier to get on and off. Easier to use on the street (for example when you make a stop you can take the top part off). Plus you can use the jacket only when you want to (although the 2pc jackets tend to run a bit short)

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Leather one piece is the perhaps the safest for the track. Leather is hot and can't get wet.
I have seen leathers start around $600 on up.

Some of the better textile suits can be repaired. I wear a kevlar two piece zip together suit from Cycleport. Lots of padding where you need it, does well in hot weather and the stretch kevlar is very comfortable as I have many 5-700+ mile days on my FJR wearing the suit all day. I have had mine for 3 years and like it. Warning- it is a bit fugly, but I perfer comfort and safety to fashion. Cost around $1050 with the rain liner.

Areostitch make very good textile gear also, do not need a rain liner but is hot to wear on warm days. About $900

Google Cycleport and Aerostitch for product info.

Many track classes will only allow leather or good quality textile suits. Plus they require good gloves, boots and helmets under 5 years old

Remember you get what you pay for- it's your hide you need to protect!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can buy AGV Sport leathers starting at $325.

Two-Piece Suits - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

As Reb Wazp stated, you get what you pay for. Typcially the inexpensive AGVs have small sections of leather vs. more expensive leathers that use larger sections.

Sportbike Track Gear has a great selection too.

LEATHER SUITS:1 piece:Gericke Celtic

If you've got a Cycle Gear nearby, check out their in store specials.

I saw these for $399 last year > Cycle Gear - FRANK THOMAS: XTi One-Piece Motorcycle Suit, BLACK

Regardless you are buying leathers at the right time of the year! Very, very good sales this time of year.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
You can buy AGV Sport leathers starting at $325.

Two-Piece Suits - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

As Reb Wazp stated, you get what you pay for. Typcially the inexpensive AGVs have small sections of leather vs. more expensive leathers that use larger sections.

I have seen the Forza 2 piece at $295 (normal price, not closeout). Check Motonekoparts.com I own a pair of sportrider pants & they seem to be very well constructed.

Sportbike Track Gear has a great selection too.

STG gives great prices on Alpinestars gear too!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I own the AGV Forza two piece and it's been a good suit. I've not road tested it but it fit well and has good armor.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would decide first if it is going to be used on the street or for tasks. Ever try get a backpack off wearing a one piece?

The speed hump might get in the way depending on how large it is. I wear a backpack with the jacket from my 2 piece with no problems at all. The AGV hump isn't that big.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Leather is hot and can't get wet.

You ever wear a perforated leather suit? It's not hot unless you're standing still much like textile. Surprising really.

Can't get wet? Why not? We're not talking about a fine italian leather fashion jacket or something. I don't know about you but I sweat in my gear sometimes and it gets rained on every now and then...so long as I take care of my leathers, they will be fine. More effort than textile though.

I agree, textile is definitely the most convenient but that's a trade-off.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2 piece, zip together R Jays (Australian Brand) leather suit with full body armour, perforated sleeves, zippered vents, stretch panels etc, and i love it, is great in nearly all conditions, including light rain, but not extreme cold, or hard rain. I always wear my leathers with my Sidi Boots, and decent gloves.

I have a set of textlie pants and jacket (Dririder), with full body armour, quilted & windproof liners, but i find it heavy & a bit cumbersome, so only wear it when it is really cold & really wet!

Also am mindful of the fact that leather will do better in a crash.

:thumbup: