Mike's Pilot road rear Report Starts 21/11/08

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd do a report on Pilot roads even though it's probably already been done. I've clocked up 17500km in 6 months so I still have pretty fresh memories of the OEM Battleaxes and My Dunlop Roadsmart 3cts so this will be a bit of a comparison from my perspective. I will try to be as objective as possible to make this as helpful as I can.

Got my tire fitted to the rear today at 17,5xxkm. First impressions are that it is smooth and feels like it may have a better shape for cornering, but may be a little less grippy in a straight line. The Roadsmart was definitely grippy in a straight line. This feels more like the Battleaxe, so I am prepared for better wear.

Will update on how it goes scrubbing in:thumbup:.....in the wet again:spank:...lol.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update...Tire scrubbed in nice and easily, without entering the pucker zone once. The shape of the tire seems to be great for lean angle....feels more neutral to hold the position of the bike once over, and is feeling nice on direction changes. I went harder on my last lap of scrubbing in and found this tire to be at least as sticky as the roadsmart and probably more so.
I had no squirrely moments at all and had a really fun ride, even with cool roads and a touch of rain coming down on my last lap.
I am way happy with this tire's holding ability and shape. I only have wet roads and tire life left to go.
At this stage, between Battleaxe 020, Roadsmart 3ct and the Pilot Road the Pilot road is out in front, and in this neck of the woods it was cheaper than the Dunlop which is next.

Next update will be wet weather performance most likely.:D
Cheers
Mike

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mike,you won't be unhappy with the road 2ct's in the wet.Rode all winter long,on freezing,wet & winding roads in the Adelaide hills without anything but sure footed handling all winter.Cant recall one scary moment!Awesome tyres!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After doing 450+km on the weekend i can say that this tire is superior in performance to the Roadsmart in both grip and shape. Inspires confidence at all times....Haven't had a single moment on this tire. also in greasy wet conditions up winding roads at night I really didn't have to slow down too much.

Very happy with this tire in all aspects....just durability to go.
Cheers
Mike:thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you using the old Pilot road or the new Pilot road 2ct?

I have been using the Pilot power on the front and the Road on the rear as I wanted the softer front due to brisk riding in the mountains of California.

Have used the Pilot road for years on my FJR and like em-a lot.
My latest set on the FJR is the road 2ct, wearing well and great in the rain.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you using the old Pilot road or the new Pilot road 2ct?

I have been using the Pilot power on the front and the Road on the rear as I wanted the softer front due to brisk riding in the mountains of California.

Have used the Pilot road for years on my FJR and like em-a lot.
My latest set on the FJR is the road 2ct, wearing well and great in the rain.

G'day mate. I am using the 2cts.

I've now clocked up over 1500km on it and I can honestly say it is far superior to the Roadsmart 3ct.

My own self preservation factor kicks in before this tire lets go which never happened with either of my other tires. Could always get them to step out through a corner. This one still has not let me down.

It is not as soft in a straight line though, so depending on the tread pattern it may not be quite as good in the wet as the Dunlop....not sure. Wear should be significantly better and it rolls more freely giving me back the top end I lost when I switched to Roadsmarts.

It makes my riding way smoother...feels great.:thumbup: No significant wear yet.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
24300 km on my odo meaning this tire has now done just under 7000km and is looking worn but I should nearly make 10,000 on it.

It romps away as the best tire I've ever had on any bike, any time. Shape, grip and life are all there. The tire has worn round as well even though nearly half my km's are pretty straight line commuting.

I've managed to get it to step out a number of times, but always in a controlled fashion.

No prizes for guessing what my next tire is likely to be:thumbup:.

Cheers
Mike

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the 2ct's and hey are a great tire. Broke them loose a few times last night but it was below freezing and we have gravel all over the roads. Never worried about it they do handle nice.

fxclm5

Reaction score
Visit site
dunlop roadsmarts are not 3ct (three compound technology) it is only 2ct (two compound technology) just like the pilot road 2ct and power 2ct.

i am running roadsmarts right now and have a set of road 2ct next, i have worn down the entire front sides on the dunlop roadsmart (only 1 compound in the front) in just 3-4k miles, the rear roadsmart (2ct) the sides are almost worn all the way down but the middle still has 50%+ tread life left with only the same 3-4k miles.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dunlop roadsmarts are not 3ct (three compound technology) it is only 2ct (two compound technology) just like the pilot road 2ct and power 2ct.

i am running roadsmarts right now and have a set of road 2ct next, i have worn down the entire front sides on the dunlop roadsmart (only 1 compound in the front) in just 3-4k miles, the rear roadsmart (2ct) the sides are almost worn all the way down but the middle still has 50%+ tread life left with only the same 3-4k miles.

I agree that they probably aren't 3ct:thumbup:, however that is what I've been told and I've seen a review with that in it:spank:. I'll see if I can find it.

This is why I've been saying that the life of the tire is too short to be a 3ct as the center of the tire should have been hard as a rock (relatively speaking).:D

Cheers
Mike

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot road rear is nearly down to the wear marks and still hangs on well. The shape is starting to go off due to the commuting but it's nowhere near square.

Booked in next W/E to get a new one. By then it'll have done 9000km.

The shape, life and performance of this tire are all great. Works well in the wet.

I'm putting on another one and have got a new Road 2 front.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Cheers
Mike

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot road rear is nearly down to the wear marks and still hangs on well. The shape is starting to go off due to the commuting but it's nowhere near square.

Booked in next W/E to get a new one. By then it'll have done 9000km.

The shape, life and performance of this tire are all great. Works well in the wet.

I'm putting on another one and have got a new Road 2 front.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Cheers
Mike

Matching Power Pilot 2ct's.....catch Mike if you can!

:rockon:

Silverback

MT Man!
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno if anyone else has tried them, but I REALLY like the Metzler Sportec's...Take a bit of getting used to at first but I've never had a set of tyres that DROP in to a corner so quickly...Good FUN if you like that sort of thing...