NO FOG! HJC CL-SP Apex - SNOW!

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
In my never-ending quest for cold management, I thought; "Why not a snow helmet?" Many of the snow helmets are the exact same helmet shell as the street helmet equivalent.
Such is the case with the HJC CL-SP line. The same helmet shell (DOT & SNELL approved) is used for both their street version and their snow version. So I ordered a snow version. It can be seen here:
HJC CL-SP Snow Helmets @ Extreme Supply!
This was the cheapest I found this particular model. $145.99, and shipping is free.
Now, what's the big difference between the snow version and the street version?
The snow version has a dual-pane shield, and the sheild is set further from your face. Also, there is a breath guard that is a simple fit-in, take-out peice that secures with velcro.
That's it. I feel sure that I could replace the shield with a standard shield and just remove the breath guard and the helmet would return to street versiion. Which, is what I plan to do when warm weather returns.
So, how does this helmet perform in the cold? Excellent, I am very impressed. The breath guard fits with a foam contact against the face. It is not uncomfortable, and fits much like a respirator would. This directs all breath down and away from the shield. Once moving, the slight vacuum of air movement will keep your breath extracted. Enough warmth remains to make breathing a very comfortable experience, with no inhaling of cold-ass air which usually causes the snot flow.
I had worried a bit that the offset shield might be noisy. Nope, this helmet is pretty darn quiet. I don't have a lot of helmets and their noise levels to compare, but this snow model is the quietest I have used.
The shield on this thing has thusfar remained fog-free. I mean fog-free, nothing, nada, zilch.
The helmet also has built-in speaker pockets for those of us that use speakers.
I like this helmet. For cold weather riding, my face is more comfortable in this helmet than any other I have used. Just this helmet and a simple neck-gator makes for a warm and comfortable face during the ride.
Now the negatives: The breath guard fits fairly close to the eyes, making it a bit tricky to wear some sunglasses. I have not checked yet to see if a tinted replacement snow shield is available. If a tinted shield is available, I will go that way and would recommend the same.
Also, HJC does not recommend that this helmet setup be used on the street. I have no idea what potential liability issue leads them to make this statement. As I said, the helmet shell is the same as their street version and is DOT/SNELL certified.

Overall: I would recommend this helmet set-up for those riding in the cold weather.

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
Some additional information:

I can find no tinted dual-pane shield. I emailed HJC, but evidently something was lost in the translation and they only referred me to the HJ-09 shields, which are tinted options for the street model. Of course, that verifies that this helmet will make an easy trasistion to warm-weather use with standard street shields.

Also, I have learned that the reasoning for not recommending this setup for street use is that the shield on the snow version is not rated as shatter-proof. Some states require the shield to be shatterproof.

The part number for the breath-guard is HJP350-005.

Having found no tinted dual-pane snow shield, I tinted the thing myself with window tint film. I have no idea the long-term effects of this yet. I'll keep ya'll posted if this turns my shield to crap.

Thusfar, the coldest I have ridden was mid-20's.