Winterizing The FZ6

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any tips for storing the bike for 5 months or so over the winter? I was told to change the oil and filter? What about the fuel in the tank? Should I top the fuel and add a stabilizer? I plan on removing the battery too and keeping it inside in a warm dry place. Should the weight be off the wheels or leaving it on the center stand is good enough. I know I’m jumping the gun here, but damn was it cool out today. I just want to be prepared. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

Put Stabil in the gas and ride it to the filling station. Fill it with gas.
Ride home. This gets the stabil into the whole system.
Allow it to cool enough to work on it.
Change oil and filter.
Check the air in the tires.
Clean and lube the chain.
Check the coolant level, and freeze point.
Wash bike.
Dry bike with leaf blower.
Wax bike.
Clean all bright metal with neverdull or other metal polish.
Start for a few seconds to get the oil everywhere as you pull it to where you will park it in a covered area on pavement not dirt.
Remove battery and hook it to a trickle charger.
Some people spray the airbox with a fogging oil but I dont think its neccesary where I live, maybe if you live where the air is real wet and salty it might be good.
Put bike on centerstand. This will take almost all the wieght off the front too.
Check the pipes are cool.
Put plastic bags over the mufflers with rubber bands holding them.
Put a cover on the bike. Dont start it unless you will ride it for at least 30 minutes.

OR
just ride it when its cold.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to help you ....BUT..... but OCT thru April are our best riding months. When I want winter I fly to Calgary and drive to Banff

LOL, that's funny because when we're looking for some summer we fly to Ft. Lauderdale in the winter. :D

Thanks wrightme43 for the suggestions. Will do. ;)

W

wrightme43

Buy a fog free shield or a helmet with it as part of the deal.
Dont ride when there is ice on the road.
I just have plain tires.

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my first year with my bike. I plan on bringing her in the house. Put it on the center stand. Change the oil and plug in the battery tender. I am going to start her at least once a week or maybe every two weeks. And throw a sheet over it. Is this a good plan? Thanks :Sport:

jfreakman

Reaction score
Visit site
This is my first year with my bike. I plan on bringing her in the house. Put it on the center stand. Change the oil and plug in the battery tender. I am going to start her at least once a week or maybe every two weeks. And throw a sheet over it. Is this a good plan? Thanks :Sport:

When it's cold out, starting it for a few minutes and letting it sit idling is about the worst thing you can do. Condensation causes moisture to build up, causing rust and carbon buildup.

You mention that you're bringing it inside the house; if your house is heated, i can't see the problem with it. Of course, if it's inside, why would you start it? Better question, why not just put it in the garage? And if you're married, where do you find the woman that would let you bring your bike in the house???!?!?

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When it's cold out, starting it for a few minutes and letting it sit idling is about the worst thing you can do. Condensation causes moisture to build up, causing rust and carbon buildup.

You mention that you're bringing it inside the house; if your house is heated, i can't see the problem with it. Of course, if it's inside, why would you start it? Better question, why not just put it in the garage? And if you're married, where do you find the woman that would let you bring your bike in the house???!?!?

I dont have a garage and recently single so i can bring the bike in. Thanks for the advice of not starting it. :Sport:

stoggy

Reaction score
Visit site
where do you find the woman that would let you bring your bike in the house???!?!?

You don't find a woman that lets you bring a bike in the house. there is a process to making a woman that will bring the bike in the house.

steps

1. get woman.

2. bring bike in the house.

3. get new woman. ( dont show her the bike in the house )

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't find a woman that lets you bring a bike in the house. there is a process to making a woman that will bring the bike in the house.

steps

1. get woman.

What about step 2(b): woman takes house

?????

(my ex promised me she'd be a good housekeeper. After the divorce, she sure did.)

:D

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

steps

1. get woman.

LOL. Thats Funny. So i guess i better hide the bike good. :Sport:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm a garage would be a total luxury at my house !!! I have to settle for leaving it at a mates house :(

Moving next year for one reason : NEED GARAGE FOR BIKE :)

The wife is not happy with my new hobby :)

L

Lucky

Hmmmm a garage would be a total luxury at my house !!! I have to settle for leaving it at a mates house :(

Moving next year for one reason : NEED GARAGE FOR BIKE :)

The wife is not happy with my new hobby :)

why? she doesn't want to move? :)

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay,...so it snows a little here and there which is like the pregnant wife having labor pains. You know it's coming. I went out and picked up some fuel stabilizer.
Briggs & Stratton - Gasoline Additive Product - 100002 (B&S-5041)
Crappy for instructions, but on a little leaflet that hangs from the bottle (I know I'm going to loose this so I post it here:D), it states for storage to add 12.5ml for every gallon of gas and for every day use add 5ml to a gallon. A couple of questions, has anyone used this particular fuel additive, and secondly, why aren't we using this for every day use?

Last edited: