Gear security system

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
When I ride somewhere, I always felt uncomfortable leaving my gear on my bike. I have a Cortec tank bag that converts to a back pack, but I didn't want to carry it around, but wanted it to be there when I returned. There may be a commercial lock out there that is better, but I couldn't find one. I made my own.

I went to Loews (or Home Depot) and bought about 3 feet of 3/32 inch diameter coated 316 stainless steel cable along with a set of ferrules. This cable can be cut easily with a rotory tool, but it is VERY hard to cut it with wire cutters. I made small loops at each end and secured the loops with the ferrules. The ferruels are crip connections, so I used a vise, a small nail and pressure to crimp them.

I then took some 1/16" 316 ss uncoated cable and ferrules and made a small loop. The 1/16" cable is bendable and will slip into the zipper thingy and can be looped around. When I secure the main zipper with the 1/16" cable, and slip the 3/32" cable through the loop, and through the tank bag handle, I can slip the other end of the cable through the helment D ring and then to the helmet lock of my FZ6 (no need for an extra lock or key). I can then hang my helmet off of the pasenger foot peg (which is a lot easier then using the helmet lock as designed. Alternatively, I can use my disk brake lock to secure the cable if I want. Best of all, I can route the cable through my riding pants and/or jacket and now I have all of my gear locked down.

I know that this will not stop a determined thief, but it will keep most people honest. The cables are small and light enough to fit into my small tank bag pocket. They will not rust.

When I made the 3/32" cable, I pulled the return cable too far through the ferrule. This left some rough cable exposed and it was sharp. Since I had extra ferrules I just crimped another one on to cover the rough edge. If you do it correctly and end the return cable inside the ferrule, it will look better. However, since I only care about functionality and mine works fine, I'm not going to redo it. 3' for the 3/32" cable is just slightly on the short side. If I had to do it again, I would make it a little longer.

Anyway, now I can leave my stuff on my bike and be pretty sure that it will be there when I return. Here are some pics:

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
That is a pretty good idea... and it will keep the honest people honest and maybe make the bad guys look for an easier target.

there are times when I miss the saddle bags and trunk on the Elctraglide ( not often tho)

thanks for sharing

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I was out for a ride with a few mates last weekend. We stopped in a smll town for coffee & loaded all our lids gloves etc into the cavernous storage facilities on my mates BMW. Which caused me to lament the passing og helmet locks on bikes. Now I read you have a helmet lock.

Is that a US spec thing or is it on the UK models, anyone know?

BTW. Like the security device

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I was out for a ride with a few mates last weekend. We stopped in a smll town for coffee & loaded all our lids gloves etc into the cavernous storage facilities on my mates BMW. Which caused me to lament the passing og helmet locks on bikes. Now I read you have a helmet lock.

Is that a US spec thing or is it on the UK models, anyone know?

BTW. Like the security device

I am located in greece and the helmet lock was made available on the 2007 S2 version over here. Mine is a 2006 so I don't have one. :mad:

Circe

Reaction score
Visit site
craig007 that is a great idea! I really like how you looped the smaller piece to lock the tank bag zipper shut. I'd like to think that most fellow motorcyclists are not thieves but having a bike stolen a couple of months ago I am much less trustworthy these days.
Do you think the steel will wear and fray with time or is that diameter of coated steel pretty tight?

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you think the steel will wear and fray with time or is that diameter of coated steel pretty tight?
The coated steal will not fray and the uncoated loop (the small one) also seems pretty tough and flexible. Since the ends of the cables are crimped within the ferrules, there is no place for the fraying to start. I guess that after a few thousand cycles some of the wires could break. But I think it will take many many cycles.

Oh...I forgot to mention the best part: I spent less that $6 on the whole thing (partly because I bought some extra stuff while I was figuring out how to do it).

Andyjo

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same thing the other day, but i also run the cable up through the arms of my jacket, and through the handlebars, haven't really used it yet, but great idea!

cdogg76

Reaction score
Visit site
Great idea and a cheap way to do it. I thought about arranging something like this as well, but haven't really been taking the bike out much where I couldn't just take my backpack along with me.

In lieu of a helmet lock, from suggestions I found on other forums, I use a cable gun lock. Got it for like $5 at Walmart. I attach run the cable through the center of the handlebar, then up around the chin of the helmet.

I think Master Lock makes a cable lock that you could use for the gear, too, or you can get stand-alone braided cables with loops at the end (like you made) and use a lock of your choice. Also could use little luggage locks on your zippers and then run a cable through the luggage lock shackles, and use another lock for the cable. Of course, luggage locks aren't very secure.

I'm thinking of getting a Scorpio alarm for whenever I get around to going on trips. With some cable locks and the perimeter sensor of the alarm, it should be so-so safe while I'm grabbing lunch and within range of the two-way alarm...

Carlin

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2007 has the helmet lock thing but I can not see me using it anytime soon, the dealer really put me off it.
He claimed that during a visit to Donnington to watch the superbikes he noticed a bike with the helmet lock being used as described in the manual, only to find another biker using the helmet as a public convienence; not as the manual intended.
Since then I've never liked the idea of leaving my helmet any where but on my head or in my hand!

Knabel

Reaction score
Visit site
In lieu of a helmet lock, from suggestions I found on other forums, I use a cable gun lock. Got it for like $5 at Walmart.Carlin

Sounds like you missed a great opportunity to justify the purchase a new firearm. :)
Here in the US, all new firearms are required by law to come with a gun lock.
:america: