What might that be?

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Visit site
I came out of work today to find this little drip under that breather pipe thing.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/funkyl...ickr.com/1084/1368280686_193d4e225a_m.jpg[/IM
I remember having a look through the manual as too that pipe and did not really understand the position required; just below the mark. What mark is below what point? So I took another photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/funkyl...ickr.com/1238/1367390321_f6a193598c_m.jpg[/IM
On closer inspection of the fluid it felt oily to the touch, not as thick as oil but definitely something in there, it also smelt strongly of petrol.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/funkyl...ickr.com/1065/1367388127_5ebd136327_m.jpg[/IM
Any ideas what it is and is there anything to worry about?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
What year is your bike, I don't even have that tube on mine. I do have a drain tube, but it is nowhere near as long as that one.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a little confused by some of your comments, but I believe that would be the Fuel overflow hose...all FZ6s have one.

You can clearly see it in photo # 6 "IMG_6" (see link, sorry I don't have access to other photos right now)

Images

Is that the one?
________
Vaporizers

Last edited:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I do have the drain you are speaking of, but it doesn't look anything like what he has pictured. It is much higher on the bike and smaller.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Just went and looked on my bike. One of them goes to the coolant overflow tank. Not sure about the other, it maybe a crankcase breather.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I have three hoses on my '05. Two are coming from the fuel tank (breather and overflow?) and one from somewhere lower (coolant overflow?). The ends are held by the same clip. There's a picture of them in the owners manual, on page 6-16, but there's no good explanation to all of them, though.

Last edited:

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike is a 2007 with about 280 miles on the clock.
There are two pipes in that location, you can just make out the second on the second picture, but I've noticed that the pipe in question has been sticking down further than I remember.
Thanks for posting the images Bren but this is where I'm confused. Only one pipe has the white mark on and should that mark be above or below the clip? Or does it even matter about that clip?

What is overfloated gasoline?

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
i have them on my 07' and they have yet to puke anything out and if they did i would assume its what they are for - 1 i would guess is for a fuel overflow and the other should be a postive crank case breather hence the oily substance it will be oil blow by by other yammie does this with regular occurance straight into the air box and ever couple of months i remove a serving spoon of emulsified oil from it

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys relax 2 lines are from the gas tank and 1 line is from the battery. Don't panic, all fazers got them. If they are not visible then that means that the gas tank was removed in order to complete a service or repair and when reinstalled the hoses were not pulled through the the bottom of the bike. These are overflow hoses, all motorcycles have them.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
According to my 04 service manual the three hoses are 1. tank breather hose 2. fuel tank drain hose (I assume that's overflow) 3. coolant reservoir tank breather. According to the routing the marked section should be below the clamp.

I occasionly get a little weepage out of one hose but I haven't been concerned about it. Also, considering that they're so low on the bike I'm guessing that the end of the hose itself could covered in road junk which could make it hard to figure out exactly what's coming out the end for real.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in California our tank breathers and crankcase breathers go back into the motor, the fuel via the charcoal cannister and the crankcase via the air box. Welcome to the land of emissions controls:mad:

v4rick

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm following this story and appreciate your explanation, but does it answer the question as to what is coming from this line and why?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
No it doesn't! I was simply stating that I couldn't find these hoses on my model, there for I am no help to the ORIGINAL poster. Had I found them and posted what I wanted too then you would have read something like " a drain hose is just that, a DRAIN hose" It's there for a reason. Sorry to piss the post police off!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a little confused by some of your comments, but I believe that would be the Fuel overflow hose...all FZ6s have one.

You can clearly see it in photo # 6 "IMG_6" (see link, sorry I don't have access to other photos right now)

Images

Is that the one?

I'm just now able to see the pictures you put up in the first post. You're bike is fine. Nothing to be concerned about. I've seen pictures of good size puddles under FZ6 (caused by a full tank and extreme temp change).

Sorry to piss the post police off!

Someone a lil' sensitive today?
________
ELECTRIC CIGARETTES

Last edited:

Funky Larma

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, did not mean this to turn into a 'who has a pipe' contest ;)
Having spoken to another biker he thought the same as most; don't worry. Engine warms up on way into work, then sits there cooling down and in the afternoon the sun comes round and will heat up the tank again. Nothing extreme but he was on the evaporated fuel band wagon.

The only question it did raise with me was the manual and the length of those pipes. I've pushed the longer pipe back up so that they are all level, still not sure of this is in the Yamaha recommended 'original position'.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
As I understand it the breather hose allows displaced air to escape as the tank is filled with fuel ... When your journey is complete you'll always have a little fuel vapour in the breather pipe that'll just drip out if enough has built up. Also your friends ideas sound right ...

As for the length ... mine is the same length and I often have a tiny puddle there after a journey to work and letting the bike stand all day..

Last edited:

Babylon

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2008 FZ6-S2 with the same pipe and same puddle of oily fluid. Bike has done 450 miles. The fluid suggests that this is a crankcase breather as it sure ain't petrol or water. I assumed this was blowback due to wringing the tits off it. Were you treating yours gently or giving it large?

koolfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
As I understand it the breather hose allows displaced air to escape as the tank is filled with fuel ... When your journey is complete you'll always have a little fuel vapour in the breather pipe that'll just drip out if enough has built up. Also your friends ideas sound right ...

As for the length ... mine is the same length and I often have a tiny puddle there after a journey to work and letting the bike stand all day..

I just came back from the dealer.....they said that the amount that comes out of the tube is normal. It prevents hydrolock. Therefore vents the tank of too much pressure.:Flash: