Handlebar Muffs - Will update 11/18/08

F

FZSex

Got my cheapo ATV handlebar muffs in today and will put them to the test tomorrow.

Notice that these do not go over the hand guards. It doesn't look like it should be a problem unless I wanted to hit the interstate or something, then I guess it would be possible for the force on the ends to apply pressure on the controls.

The temp will be 28 degrees F when I leave in the morning and I'll be wearing my comfie race glove on the left hand and my winter glove on the right and will update accordingly :thumbup:

ready2goriding

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my cheapo ATV handlebar muffs in today and will put them to the test tomorrow.

Notice that these do not go over the hand guards. It doesn't look like it should be a problem unless I wanted to hit the interstate or something, then I guess it would be possible for the force on the ends to apply pressure on the controls.

The temp will be 28 degrees F when I leave in the morning and I'll be wearing my comfie race glove on the left hand and my winter glove on the right and will update accordingly :thumbup:

I'm interested... More! More!

A

Aggietaco

Interested to hear your results.

I was worried my hands were going to be chilly this morning, but even at 34* when I left the house, my hands stayed comfortable for the 20 minute ride to work with my Alpinestars WR-2's.

F

FZSex

It was a nice 28 this morning and here's the dealio:

+ :
My left hand (joe rocket comfie race glove) was comfortable, also its amazing how much lack of feel you have with thicker gloves on.

Easy on / easy off

Cheap (less than $25 shipped from Amazon

- :
I spent a few minutes on my commute practicing a quick grab to the front brake, it was more difficult.

Thats really all the negatives. What I'm gonna do is possibly drill a small hole at the end of the right handguard and zip tie the muff (mitt, whatever) so its held farther out. I think this will take care of my issue.

I recommend you hit a bass pro shop or whatever (maybe even your local bike dealer, check the atv section, walmart, etc.) and you may save you some money and find some with a larger opening.

BUT if you are like me and just wanna order and be done with it, here you go:

CLICK ME

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats really all the negatives. What I'm gonna do is possibly drill a small hole at the end of the right handguard and zip tie the muff (mitt, whatever) so its held farther out. I think this will take care of my issue.

I recommend you hit a bass pro shop or whatever (maybe even your local bike dealer, check the atv section, walmart, etc.) and you may save you some money and find some with a larger opening.

You mention that we may want to find ones with a larger opening... Do these have a really small opening?

Until I install heated grips I'm sure I'll need winter gloves with these and I want to make sure I can get my hands in and out quickly.

Thanks again for the write up and the link! It was in the mid-20's (F) this morning and after 45mins I was starting to get Turkey Claw. I can't wait to improve my comfort level. I don't want to have to stop joy riding before work!

F

FZSex

You mention that we may want to find ones with a larger opening... Do these have a really small opening?

Until I install heated grips I'm sure I'll need winter gloves with these and I want to make sure I can get my hands in and out quickly.

Thanks again for the write up and the link! It was in the mid-20's (F) this morning and after 45mins I was starting to get Turkey Claw. I can't wait to improve my comfort level. I don't want to have to stop joy riding before work!

Well the openings are fine if you aren't using handguards. My preference, if you have handguards, would be to get some that would go over them then you are golden. But with that said, these are working fine for me.

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
Those look nice and warm for those cold winter days. However, they just look too darn bulky to me. Don't know if I'd feel comfortable with those, even if my hands were nice and toasty.

In the past couple of weeks, it's gotten down to the upper 20's where I live a few times. To keep my hands nice and warm, I found a pair of nice thick winter gloves that have suede on the palms. To add to that, the cuffs of the gloves go over the sleeves of my jacket a bit, which keeps the icy air from going up my arm. So far I haven't had my hands get the least bit chilly. However, with all the padding on my hands, I do find that I have to grip the accelerator a bit more, otherwise it feels mushy.

I really, really need to break down and get the wind deflectors ordered. I know that would help quite a lot.

X

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the openings are fine if you aren't using handguards. My preference, if you have handguards, would be to get some that would go over them then you are golden. But with that said, these are working fine for me.

What about adding a strip of velcro along the inside of the handgaurds and the forward edge of the muffs. That would probably hold it away from the controls. Just a thought.

F

FZSex

that would probably work too but after tweaking them a lil, probably just going to leave them alone. :thumbup:

F

FZSex

12 degrees on the ride in this morning - I think 20 is about their limit on a short commute without having to wear monster size warm gloves. Supposed to be 6 degrees tomorrow morning but ... I'm thinking some nice hot coffee and a truck will be the order of the day.

:rockon:

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
As for the muffs interfereing with controls, at around 110-120mph (depends on how strong wind is that day) I had the muff slighty tapping my brake. Felt like I was hitting a fuel cut in a car. It wasn't extreme pressure of the brakes, but enough to make you slow down. You can avoid it by putting your fingers against the brake and preventing the muffs from hitting it. At 130+mph they didn't fly off so I am happy with these things.

F

FZSex

on the positive side, the powermadd hand guard peeps now have their own gauntlets that fit over them.

e06350379.jpg