Fresh Rubber !!!!

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Went to my tyre fitter today to get the new Avon Vipers that i had ordered fitted :D , rocked up there and Mick (rubber dude) says to me " What do u want these crap things for " ? , i told him i'd read a few good reviews on them and thought i'd give them a go :D , so we gets to talking bout the Avon's and he tells me about these Shinko 005 Advance tyres , :rolleyes: i informed him that i'd read plenty of stuff on them and had ruled them out , well after much discussion on the matter and a few cold cokes later i rode out of there wearing a brand new set of Shinko 005's :D..... Ive taken them for a little bit of a scrub in ride this afternoon and come home completely and utterly satisfied with these tyres :thumbup: , they out perform the stock Bridgestone 020's in every aspect ..... I felt more and more confident as they scrubbed in and after 80km's or so i found myself really stating to push harder and harder..... So far im stoked , im really really happy with them and if they give me the life he promised they would then i wont buy any other brand for a looooooooong time..... :rockon: Shinko

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well ive now done 1500 k's (932 miles) on my new Shinko's and i couldnt be happier......The grip levels are outstanding , even more remarkable in the wet . Having just come back from a 2 hour ride , 1 hour 45 mins of it in the rain i was still comfortable leaning into the corners on a few familiar twisties :D (i love wet riding) , was a spur of the moment ride so i didnt have the camera :( (sorry)..... Im finding it really hard to see how some people could slag off about these tyres , they do everything i ask of them and never feel the slightest bit unstable . They heat up fairly quick and hold the heat in for a long time so if you stop for a smoke/drink you dont lose much if any...There are no signs of wear yet , they even still have a few of those little rubber nodule thingy's on them although there isnt many and there is definately NO chicken strips....Something i couldnt say about the BT020's that came off it :(.... All in all they are great value for money so far , if your in the market for new rubber i highly recommend these .... GO SHINKO (ok :spank::spank: that was sooo LAME) :D

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool! I haven't heard about Shinko before but I'll look into them when the time comes for new tyres :) Just one question.. What are chicken strips?

gpd211

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool! I haven't heard about Shinko before but I'll look into them when the time comes for new tyres :) Just one question.. What are chicken strips?

chicken strips are the strips on the edge of the tire that haven't touched the pavement. In other words rider is to chicken to lean the bike over far enough to scrub these off.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
chicken strips are the strips on the edge of the tire that haven't touched the pavement. In other words rider is to chicken to lean the bike over far enough to scrub these off.
Ah ok, thanks :) Didn't know that could actually be an issue..:Sport:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
they out perform the stock Bridgestone 020's in every aspect .....

Tyres made of concrete would outperform the awful OEM Bridgestones Yamaha insist on burdening us all with!..........Why?

Glad you like your new tyres...confidence in your tyres is a great feeling!

:thumbup:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
$$$$$$$. Yamaha puts on the cheapest tire they can get ahold of for the money. Most manufactures do. Just look at it this way. They are just break in tires... once the tires are shot, the motor is now broke in.

New rubber and let her breath... well after you wear off the slick stuff on the new tires first.***

***Just had to put the saftey warning in there

-bryan

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you like them but most new tires stick well. How about a report when they are half to two thirds worn out. That's where a tire really shows it's merit.

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
5000 kilometre update (3100 mile) !!!!!!!! These tyres are fantastic , there is no signs of squaring off and no feathing.....Ridden with them in some atrocious weather conditions and they have only given me questionable moment...That was the other day and it was all my fault , i was just pushing them a little to hard in the wet and the front went on a little slide :eek: , i gathered it all up and checked the speedo and thought "hmmmm that was asking a bit much" 74 km/h through a tight 90 degree corner posted at 20 km/h.......My fault and a stupid thing to do :spank: , i still highly reccomend these tyres to anybody......Found out the other day (for those who havent heard of them) they are just Korean made Yokahama's :thumbup:

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am also a beliver in Shinko, I bought them for price back with my old bike. I was in need of tires and had a track day coming up, coming off pilot sports at the time i was skeptical. So i put the 005's on my old yzf600r and took it to a track day first week i had them.

They performed beautifully and i loved them, AND they lasted 9000 miles after that and had life left to them when i traded the bike last year for the FZ6. Best of all that set was about $165 delivered! for front and rear! I liked them so much that i put them on Keira's SV when she needed tires and she has gotten about 4000 miles and they look brand new still.

When it was time for me to get new tires for the FZ i got the Shinko 009's to give them a whirl, I got a little over 2000 miles on them and a track day in the rain and once again Shinko's are holding up and cheap. This set was i think $172 front and rear delivered and they still look brand new.

One thing that the "Haters" don't know is that Shinko is just Yokohama's motorcycle division, or they used to be or something like that.

Regardless: 005's on Keira's SV650S (Love the Big Block design tread pattern):
IMG_3127.jpg

And the 009's on my FZ:

008.jpg

Reaction score
Visit site
Just changed my orginal tires out at 12,008 miles. Put on Metzeler Roadtec Z6 tires. On dry roads they seem great, its supposed to rain this afternoon, so I'll see how that goes.

Bruce McCrary

RDY2GO!
Reaction score
rdytogo.blogspot.com
The shinkos are retreads, right?

So why are they so cheap? Has anyone really hauled-a$$ w/ these things?

Cheap Korean labor for one thing, and quite honestly if the dealer goes by MSRP the profit margin is lower than on the premium brands. I sell tires at roughly $20 over cost and by doing that most any brand of tire will come in within $30 of a Shinko.

As for hauling the mail with them... They are the tire of choice of drag racers where a DOT tire is required. They get burned off and swapped out quickly for safety's sake so a cheap tire that is predicable at speed is preferred. Our service manager and a partner have a deal where they sell and mount Shinko's at all the AMA Drag Bike Championship Series events and business is booming. They also have an 'outlaw' bike that has seen just under 200 mph on Shinko's.

FWIW there is a distributor called MTA that is having the same factory that manufacturers the Shinko's build a house brand tire them. It is the very same compound as the 005's with a slightly different tread pattern and will be marketed under the "Full Bore" brand. MTA plans on pricing them under the Shinko's for the first year at least in order to build some brand recognition. Also, Michelin got their feelings hurt that Shinko was outselling them at the AMA events and is rumored to be coming out with a tire to compete with it. It could be just a price point tire, but if they plan on going head to head with Shinko at the drags it will have to perform fairly well, at least for a short period of time...

Bruce

Last edited:

FATHERHIGH

Reaction score
Visit site
I had Dunlop D252's on mine from the factory, but its at the shop now having new Michelin Roads put on front and rear......will let you know what I think!

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
My pilot power is almost to the wear indicators in the middle of course. I mostly ride the bike to work. However, the Front pilot power is looking good. In a couple of weeks, I have a chance to get the Shinko Advance 005 for 109.95 at my local cycle gear store. I think I am going to give it a go after reading this thread. I told myself, that I would only buy the Michelin tires, but due to cost, I think I am going to eat my words.

Thanks Humperdinkel for the review :thumbup:.