Safe riding

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Hey guys,

I've been reading about people hauling ass around town and what not. Here's why you shouldn't in canyons...granted brisk and quick is great, but overly fast is stupid.
attachment.php

There is another photo of a moving truck doing a U-Turn in the middle of a canyon. If a motobike had come around the turn, they'd have been in DEEP crap...stupid trucker, but then again, if you're coming around the turn at a controlled pace, you can stop and react, but if you're way toooo fast, you're toast.

Last edited:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
i don't know why the pic isn't posting....it's a snow plow truck in the oncoming lane, but the plow reaches from lane edge to lane edge. If you're coming down making a left turn riding that yellow line, you'd get decapitated....we called it the Decapitator.

who knows why he was going that road anyways, but still. just be careful!

oogie

Reaction score
Visit site
I love ridin the mountain roads here, nice twisties, and always see people haulin ass through blind curves. I have never gone up or down my favorite stretch without coming up on a car with out of town plates, sight-seeing and leaf-peepin white-knuckle-grip scared of the curves and elevation, going 20-25 mph. Don't want to be going as fast as I like and encounter the back end of a mini-van around one of those tight 180's. Ya gotta be wise about choosing where to "let it rip".

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reminder. I have seen eighteen-wheelers on the Dragon (US 129) and they cannot make the curves without taking up both lanes. They are also slow, so I stop, enjoy the scenery and get back on when I have some time and space to play with.

Always have an escape route planned.;)

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Great reminder. Especially those of us that live where it snows. There's always plenty of sand and salt left by those trucks as well, usually in a turn. If you're riding at the edge of control, there's no avoiding it and you can low-side right into oncoming traffic.