Votes: 11 22.0%
  • K&N

Votes: 39 78.0%

• Total voters

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also interested in this. I heard somewhere BMCs work better for most Yamahas for some reason, not sure why. I ended up going with K&N just because that's all that was available in my area.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Neither. Stick with stock as it filters better than a mesh type filter.

Last edited:

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got to side with Hellgate on this one. From what I've been able to find/read on this here interweb thing, stock filters really do a fine job. Yeah, it'll be a "consumable" item over the life of your bike, but they work quite well for their designed purpose: keeping crap out of your engine.

K&N's, etc. let particles through that the stock unit won't. I'd rather that that stuff remain on the outside of the engine rather than in it. Sure, they let through more air but that's because they're not filtering as well. I've got one on my bike right now but will be pulling it out soon.

Anyone interested in a slightly used k&n...cheap...

YMMV, yadda yadda

b.konstadinos

LIVE TO RIDE TO LIVE
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The differences between the air filters (aftermarket and stock) is that the aftermarket lasts longer, has better air flow and as about letting things pass threw it in the engine, it can only happen after cleaning it and not spraing it with the special oil spray that sticks on the surface of the filter and doesn't allow even dust to pass through it!!! As for K&N ore BMC, i think they're just the same but i vote the K&N, i think it's cheaper.:thumbup:

Red Scorpion

Reaction score
Visit site
K&N has a more open filter mesh which allows more dirt and air into the intake. More dirt means more wear and tear on the engine and I won't use em' I keep the stock ones. Can't stand the thought of buying a $3-4K engine just to get more power that I don't need. Verified by testing.:rockon:

RS

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up a stock filter from ronayers.com for $25. :steve: Can't speak on the others but I bet the difference between the two is immaterial.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ya, no offense, but it's garbage to think that a k&n filter lets in more particles or whatever when compared to a regular filter. people use k&n for machines much much much more expensive than a $7000 bike. same exact filter, just different shape. and if you think fz6 riders are anal about what air filter they use, ask those freakys who have their head under the hood of whatever they're rolling all day every weekend if they use a stock filter, and would risk putting anything on their baby that would hurt it. on a quick side note however, i have a buddy with a 1968 camaro SS with a 454 and runs it without a filter. this is why i don't buy things from rednecks. anyway, the k& n lets in more air but not at the expense of letting in more dirt. that's the whole point, and that is what their technology is based around. however, as the previous post points out, if you clean it and do not adequately re-oil the filter, that's where you run into trouble. it's not the material per-se that filters, but the oil that does the job of trapping crap. i've had one on my nissan for about 5 years, and there is a little bit of an art in reapplying the oil. don't use too much, don't use too little. basically i just let it sit in some soap and water for a little while, flush the filter out with water, maybe do another quick soak to be safe, thoroughly rinse again, and one will notice that the once dark red filter is now white underneath the screen surface. let dry COMPLETELY. lightly spray k&n oil in the pump bottle evenly and lightly across the filter (front and back) until it returns to an even medium red. maybe let that soak in for 30 min or so, spray some around the rubber edges, and pop er back in.

i have had far too much caffeine today. :Flash:

cws6fan

Parrothead
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's been posted before, in this test, they ranked the Yamaha OEM filter right up there with the Fram.

I don't know if the Yamaha OEM is still made like this, but this guy didn't like the way they were made. You can believe the report or not, just thought I would share.

I personaly used the K & N's just because of the nut and the price I got them for.

OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Yamaha OEM

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ya, no offense, but it's garbage to think that a k&n filter lets in more particles or whatever when compared to a regular filter. people use k&n for machines much much much more expensive than a $7000 bike. same exact filter, just different shape. and if you think fz6 riders are anal about what air filter they use, ask those freakys who have their head under the hood of whatever they're rolling all day every weekend if they use a stock filter, and would risk putting anything on their baby that would hurt it. on a quick side note however, i have a buddy with a 1968 camaro SS with a 454 and runs it without a filter. this is why i don't buy things from rednecks. anyway, the k& n lets in more air but not at the expense of letting in more dirt. that's the whole point, and that is what their technology is based around. however, as the previous post points out, if you clean it and do not adequately re-oil the filter, that's where you run into trouble. it's not the material per-se that filters, but the oil that does the job of trapping crap. i've had one on my nissan for about 5 years, and there is a little bit of an art in reapplying the oil. don't use too much, don't use too little. basically i just let it sit in some soap and water for a little while, flush the filter out with water, maybe do another quick soak to be safe, thoroughly rinse again, and one will notice that the once dark red filter is now white underneath the screen surface. let dry COMPLETELY. lightly spray k&n oil in the pump bottle evenly and lightly across the filter (front and back) until it returns to an even medium red. maybe let that soak in for 30 min or so, spray some around the rubber edges, and pop er back in.

i have had far too much caffeine today. :Flash:

No worries. All I know is this, I spent about $7,500 on rebuilding my '87 Carrera with all the cool bits; hi-comp pistons, Ti Valves, SC Cams, port and polish, etc. One of the things we added was a different MFS that used a big honking K&N. Yes it was oiled, on correctly, etc. I took the filter off one day to do some cleaning and as I removed it I saw that the inside of the runner, before the MFS, had gritty dust inside of it! I crapped my pants. :eek: :banghead: After that I went back to a paper filter and the world was good. Now, during the motor building, wallet draining project, I dynoed the car several times to see what difference the various changes made. After I took the K&N off there was NO DIFFERENCE in the DYNO pull! In fact in my other Carrera, an '02, we completely removed the stock air filter, put the air box back together and did another dyno pull, no difference. We all said, "Hummmmmm....I guess K&N's don't do much."

You are correct in that they filter very well. Independent lab test show a K&N filters about 97%, not bad. A stock paper filter does about 98%. Only one percent difference right? Nope, that is a 33% INCREASE in junk entering a motor.

Now on racing motors I used K&Ns because I needed a different intake configuration, runners, V-stacks, etc. over the years. I also rebuild my motors every other year or so anyway so I didn't care if they got dirty.

One more story and I'll stop, I promise. When I took my bike in for the dyno tune I asked the tuner if I should buy a K&N so we could get the most out of the tune. He said don't bother, save your money. Good enough for me!

For a bike that I plan to keep for 50K+ miles, I'm going to stick with the stock filter. If you like to use them, no worries, I'm good with that. :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's been posted before, in this test, they ranked the Yamaha OEM filter right up there with the Fram.

I don't know if the Yamaha OEM is still made like this, but this guy didn't like the way they were made. You can believe the report or not, just thought I would share.

I personaly used the K & N's just because of the nut and the price I got them for.

OIL FILTERS EXPOSED! - Yamaha OEM

I use the K&N oil filters because they are drilled for safety wire already. :thumbup:

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

Stick with the factory filter. No measurable gains from k+n except a customer who keeps buying cleaning and filter oil.
They are proven less effective at filtering the incoming air.

cws6fan

Parrothead
Reaction score
Visit site
How come nobody called me a dumb*** for posting about oil filters in an air filter thread? Sorry all, I'll try and do a better job of keeping up next time.

Oh Yeah, Stick with the factory AIR filter...

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How come nobody called me a dumb*** for posting about oil filters in an oil filter thread? Sorry all, I'll try and do a better job of keeping up next time.

Well...I think we a saw that and just didn't say anything. No worries.