Anyone use/recommend a Cruise Control?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched thru the Technical, Modification and Product Review forums, and found no mention of these, so thought I'd ask here.

Took my first long trip this weekend on the Interstate, from Ogden to Tooele Utah for AF Reserve duty, 80 miles each way (down on Saturday and back on Sunday). Thought my rear would be kinda sore, but it was actually my throttle wrist that really hurt, and its still pretty tender today.
I've seen those $10-to-$20 mechanical Cruise Control locks in the catalogs, and also spoon-shaped paddles that you simply use as leverage with your wrist, but I've been a bit leery of them. So, has anyone used them, or have any recommendations/warnings?

This trip was the first time I've tried laying down across the tank to cut wind resistance, doesn't work too well when you're 6'5", half my helmet was in front of the plane of the windshield!! :eek: Set a new personal speed record for myself too, 85 mph, damn that's a hoot!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of people use throttle-lockers....cruise-control would probably be pretty expensive and hard to instal.

Throttlemeister gets a lot of good reviews...a little more expensive than what you mentioned though.
________
GONG BONG

Last edited:

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
I will probably go with Throttlemeister throttle lock. I have seen one on my Dad's bike, and it looks pretty good. When I order, I will get the heavy version hoping it will reduce vibrations in the handle bars. I actually have only minor vibrations, but might as well get the heavy ones.:thumbup:

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone on a ride recently pointed out to me that my bars were mounted quite a bit more toward the tank that on their FZ6s. It is the way that the dealership mounted it.

I moved the bars up (rotated toward the front of the bike).

This made an amazing difference to me in how comfortable freeway riding is for me. My wrist also used to hurt. Now it does not!

Give it a try.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the head's-up on the Throttlemeister, I don't think it appears in any of the catalogs I get but I was able to find it w/Google easily; they don't list a model for the '07 FZ-6 yet but I'll give them a call. It's a little more pricey than the others but it doesn't have that "Rube Goldberg" look, and it looks built to last, I don't mind paying a bit more.
And thanks for the tip, gmickey, I'll download the shop manual and compare what my bars are set at to what they should be. :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a cramp buster (one of the paddle things) and like it. My wrist used to hurt after about 2 hours but now it's good all day.
Do the paddles get in the way when you're accelerating/deccelerating a lot? Seems like they would.

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the head's-up on the Throttlemeister, I don't think it appears in any of the catalogs I get but I was able to find it w/Google easily; they don't list a model for the '07 FZ-6 yet but I'll give them a call. It's a little more pricey than the others but it doesn't have that "Rube Goldberg" look, and it looks built to last, I don't mind paying a bit more.
And thanks for the tip, gmickey, I'll download the shop manual and compare what my bars are set at to what they should be. :thumbup:

The Throttlemeister that I saw on my Dad's bike looked of very good quality. I tested them out and they worked very well. I am going to get some for myself. I believe that the 06 is the same as the 07, but if you find out differently be sure to post it please. If you haven't said anything by the time I am ready to order, I will call and check with them myself.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Do the paddles get in the way when you're accelerating/deccelerating a lot? Seems like they would.

I don't find that it does - you just have to play around with it a bit a first to find a location that doesn't. I was able to that within the first day I used it. I actually found that it helped me with minor throttle corrections because I've got more control and maybe because it enforces gripping the bar in the same spot everytime

I had been thinking about throttle locks but thought I'd start cheap - so far I'm happy with this solution.

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Throttlemiester on my FJR and like it real well but it can be a bit awkward to set until you get used to it. It holds the speed well on level surfaces but will slow a bit going up hill and speed up a bit going down hill.
Same with the Vista Cruise and the NEP throttle lock. The Throttlemiester is well made and aesthetically looks better than a VC or cramp buster.

An Audiovox electronic Cruise Control is the best solution but it takes about 6-8 hrs to install (atleast on the FJR) I'm not sure if there any directions for the FZ6. I'm sure it could be adapted for this application

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I just called Throttlemeister and ordered one, they come in a textured black that I think will look great on the FZ-6. They said the '06 model will definitely fit the '07; should be here end of this week or early next, wo0t!

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I just called Throttlemeister and ordered one, they come in a textured black that I think will look great on the FZ-6. They said the '06 model will definitely fit the '07; should be here end of this week or early next, wo0t!

Cool, I need to get mine ordered also.:D