Tire millage thread

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about the millage we post here in various thread. Many factors can affect the tire life. Some of the important ones being:
-weather
-rider weight
-different style of riding (aggressively, normal, slow...)
-road surfaces around the globe are very very different, some consume tires in crazy paces, others don't.

If we posted experiences of the same rider/bike for different brands, then we could have more useful info on the board.

For example I got around 7700km from the factory BT020, 4200km from Pirelli diablo strada, about 6000km with BT0021s, and currently have 3000kms on Conti Road attacks (maybe they'll go to 5000kms before they need to be changed).

While these will not make sense to people that got more than 10,000 MILES out of their tires, it could be useful for comparison purposes.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I,m still on the original rear bt020 at 28,900 km's.90% commuting at a little over city speeds and a few fast runs once in a while.

Got 22,000 km's out of the front.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I,m still on the original rear bt020 at 28,900 km's.90% commuting at a little over city speeds and a few fast runs once in a while.

Got 22,000 km's out of the front.

:eek: That is wiked Oz , I'd love to know how u managed that mate...... I've just scrapped 11000 out of the rear and im guessing i could get 15000 out of the front if i left it but the Vipers are on there way :thumbup:.......... Im still yet to do a burnout on them aswell :( but on the way to the tyre fitter when the vipers arrive i have a gut feeling thats all gunna change:D:D:D

W

wrightme43

I get about 8000 miles out the Avon Storms. I do change them before they actually touch the wear bars.
About 8000 out of the stock battle ax tires as well.

W

wrightme43

I have been considering these.
Dunlop TireD616
I have had bad experince with D. moto tires in the past though. I do alot of rain riding and a direct line rain tire might be perfect for me even if I give up milage.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get about 8000 miles out the Avon Storms. I do change them before they actually touch the wear bars.
About 8000 out of the stock battle ax tires as well.

Thanks for that i was wondering what the Avons would average....... I spose if i really wanted to push the 020's i could have gone 12000km's or 8000 miles but i like to know im sure footed :thumbup:.............. I cant wait till tuesday when the Vipers arrive thay look like an awesome tyre :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got 11,000 miles out of my stock BT020's and i did lots of commuting on secondary highways with long sweeping turns and also some aggressive riding on the weekends.

I also ride when it is in between 20 degrees F and 100 degrees F, in wet and dry conditions.

I currently have 2000 miles on some Shinko Raven 009's and they barely look scrubbed in, I have high hopes for their lifespan.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a little over 6000 miles out of my rear Metzler M3 and 10,000 miles out of my front M3.

Looking towards PR-2's...

-bryan

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i got around 5,000 miles out of the factory tire... I am a hard accelerator though as many times as possible and agressive in the twisties! Ride the bike more as sport than touring.... plus im 245pds g/f was with me for about 1500 of those shes 120pds. weight makes a huge difference plus how you ride! i also changed it out before it was at the wear bars. rode in the rain one day and rear end didnt stick how i would have liked it to... it has the roadsmart on it right now front is still going strong i think theres a lil over 6300 miles on it, left home last week in august so my riding season is very short

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I picked up a nail within first 1,000 miles on stock Bridgestone, had it professionally patched, then picked up another nail at 3,000 miles, so bought a Michelin Pilot Road to replace the rear. Currently have 11,000 miles on that tire and it's not down to the wear bars yet. Got 12,000 miles (approx) on front before replacing it. Tire was not quite down to the wear bars but was beginning to cup on the left side of center of the tread. Now have 2,000 miles on that tire and it will probably last through the remainder of the current rear and the full life of the next rear.