How to insert earplugs without helmet dislogding them?

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
With the large CalSci windscreen I have, which are well-known for exacerbating wind noise, I must wear earplugs at speed. They work just fine and the muted noise is quite pleasant, BUT... I often find that they get dislodged when I pull the full-face helmet over my head. It's pretty tight, and it often causes the earplugs to come loose, breaking the "seal" created when they are first wadded up and then expand to block the ear canal. I had to stop twice on my ride home today because the earplug didn't set properly. The wind noise in that case is really intolerable.

Does anyone else have this issue, and has anyone else figured out how to avoid it?

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the foam plugs and i tend to give then a little push with a finger while i am pulling the helmet over the top of my head. It will compress the plugs so that they arent sticking out of your ear as you pull the helmet down. I sometimes will also put my thumbs in the helmet to compress the padding by the ears as i pull the helmet on. Hope this helps

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Tons of info on fitting earplugs in that Fact32! I've figured most of that stuff out now, but initially I was just jamming them into the ear without compressing them first, and thinking they didn't work well. That's what happens if you don't RTFM, even if the FM is only two sentences long. Never knew there were custom-fitted earplugs. That's an idea...

I've tried compressing the earplug before putting the helmet on, but haven't really "scientifically" studied if that has a good effect or not. I'll pay more attention to that. Not really sure that I could compress the helmet padding such that it didn't dislodge the earplug. It's the bottom part of the helmet that causes them to get dislodged, and that's pretty firm. Hard to imagine compressing that enough that my head could pass through without some pressue on the ears. I've also wondered if it's better to let the earplugs fully "inflate" in the ear before putting on the helmet (what I always do) or perhaps I should put the helmet on while they are still compressed.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
cv_rider, if you are using the foam type ear plugs you can try cutting them to make it shorter so that they don't stick out as much and get dislodged. Also, with me and my big ears, when putting on my helmet I have to really spread the cheek pads with the helmet straps in order to get my ears in without too much contact so if you are not already doing so, maybe try using the helmet straps create some clearance for the ears.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thinl custom fitted earplugs are the best way forward.
I don`t have them because they are hellish expensive in Denmark.
I did buy some putty type substance off e-bay and made my own this season and they were really good and was not expensive. Because of all the use and being stuffed in pockets all season they did fall apart eventually but they were worth the price and I think I will do the same thing for next season.

Custom Moulded Ear Plugs - DIY Moulded Earplugs (NEW) on eBay, also, Protective Safety Gear, Industrial Supply MRO, Business, Office Industrial (end time 08-Nov-08 22:19:45 GMT)

Steve

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My headphones do the same thing every now and then. When you slip your helmet on hold the straps hard away from your head. This compresses the padding and for me it's enough to get the helmet on.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mike

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I thinl custom fitted earplugs are the best way forward.
I don`t have them because they are hellish expensive in Denmark.
I did buy some putty type substance off e-bay and made my own this season and they were really good and was not expensive. Because of all the use and being stuffed in pockets all season they did fall apart eventually but they were worth the price and I think I will do the same thing for next season.

Custom Moulded Ear Plugs - DIY Moulded Earplugs (NEW) on eBay, also, Protective Safety Gear, Industrial Supply MRO, Business, Office Industrial (end time 08-Nov-08 22:19:45 GMT)

Steve

Thanks Steve. I might try some of these myself. I'll review them after a while.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and just get these:

13ephsetecb.gif

The ones they send out now actually look like this (at least the ones I got):

silentearclear.jpg

They're called Silent Ear. Buy the trial pack that has the 3 sizes. I use the smallest ones. The medium and large ones are pretty big.

It says this on the manufacturers website:

SilentEar plugs provide an NRR (Noise Reduction Rating) of 32dB. This is the highest NRR available from any reusable ear plug made anywhere in the world today. To achieve more protection than you get from SilentEar, you would have to wear a pair of NRR 32 earplugs underneath a pair of hearing protection ear muffs. SilentEar ear plugs are designed to offer the ultimate in protection, and may not be appropriate for situations where only a small amount of noise reduction is needed.

When I read this after using them, I was kind of surprised, since when I have them in I can have a conversation with someone almost normally. To me, they really block out mainly the harmful frequencies, while keeping everything else at a pleasant level.

They're reuseable. Just wipe em off when you take them out. The fit down into your ear, with just the 3 little flap things out of your canal so you can get them out. They're comfortable. They really knock down any sort of wind noise. I have also had no problems with them coming off while taking on or off my helmet.

They also come with the nifty carrying tube thing.

You'll spend less than $25 or something to you door for the 3 different sizes pack, and you shouldn't have to buy any earplugs for a long long time. I've used mine since like April and they're like brand new.

They are SOOO much better than foam earplugs, and if I would have known about how easy and how well these things work, I would have bought some a long time ago.

Your results may vary.

I got them from here:

If you haven't tried SilentEar, you haven't tried the best.<br><font size="2">SilentEar (NRR 32) is the Highest Rated Reusable Ear Plug currently made anywhere in the world!</font> - Snoring Relief Ear Plugs

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used the inexpensive foam ear plugs for years. I like the yellow ones vs. the orange ones. The reason being the foam is firmer with the yellow ones. To insert them I roll them lengthwise; grab my ear with my opposite hand, like in the illustration on Fact32, push them in fairly deep. Once you do that you'll be able to take your helmet on and off with no problems! :thumbup:

On a side note, earplugs are great. For any riding aside from a quick trip around town I always wear them. I find that after a longer ride I'm not as tired. On the track it helps me concentrate and go into my own little world; now that is a scarey place!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the custom ear plugs with speakers from the earplugstore.com
Bought the Challenger M series 2 years ago, love em'.
I use the I Jet wireless remote (use the super strong velcro from radio shack on the brake fluid reservior for a mount)to operate the I pod on all my bikes -works great.

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I know that it may sound a little gross but I suggest that you wet them.

I have a very sensitive right ear from having ruptured my right eardrum two different times while freediving so the plugs for me is a big help. I also like to shoot guns and I need a really good seal to reduce as much noise as possible.

I buy the foam ear plugs for $9.99 for 50 pair at our local drug store and they have a rating of 31db protection.

I compress them in my mouth and kind of suck on them so they are not soaking wet but wet enough to provide a good seal.

I generally put them in and let them expand a little and then just hold them in place until fully expanded. They will move very little after that.

I have noticed that I can actually hear my engine better instead of wind noise. I love my Arai Profile but it is really really loud when I lean forward at speed.

The only drawback I have found with them being wet and sealed so well is that at really high speed if I lift my head or turn it allowing air to come into the helmet I notice pressure on my eardrums but do to my diving accidents I am overly aware of any change in pressure.

Hope this helps.

:) OH! I try not to reuse them without cleaning them- I have had to once or twice- not very tasty.

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought some custom ear plugs, a set to use with my Ipod and a regular set without the speakers, excellent no more messing with the foam ones....check out the web site Hearing Dynamics - Welcome for further help on this.

All the best........:rockon:

those seem to be more of an ear phone rather than actual hearing protection. i have some from this company Hearing Protection, Hearing Product, Custom Ear Piece, Ear Plug, Hearing Protector

They have a pretty big and well known client base too.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
So many good ideas here (hear). I'm still having problems with this, and just ordered some of the silicon 3-pc set since I think maybe my ear canals are not the same size. The wetting is a good idea too!

I think part of my issue is a combination of the Shoei X-11 helmet and the tall CalSci windshield. Tall windshields always create more noise, and the person at Cycle Gear said that the X-11 is the noisiest helmet ever made (so why did they recommend it in the first place...?). I tried plugging all the internal vents of the X-11 with earplugs which somewhat helped, but not enough.

Anyway, I've got to find a solution, as my ears sometimes have a ringing in them for a day or more, and that can be an indicator of early hearing loss. And the wind roar really detracts from the enjoyment of riding too.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my work pays for my custom molded ones...$99 CDN. I rarely use them while riding(enjoy the 2bros too much) but they fit well under the helmet. Wash relatively often as people at work who dont, get ear infections occasionally

ive used the same plugs for 3 years also