When can you call your bike a Steetfighter?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, this one has been sorta bugging me for a while, i have moidified my FZ6N quite heavily...read my signature...it tells the tale.

But i dont think it can be called a streetfighter, as from where i see it, it is more a modded bike, not changed that much that it looks like a completely different bike! It has not been trashed, and then re-built completely differently, and most things i have replaced, are just higher spec than OEM but with the same function. Headlight is still OEM, seat unit, still OEM.....etc, etc.

But upon reading the introduction to Streetfighter thread, i see that there are highly modded, "Rat" bikes...binned, then re-built, or fully customised "specials" that really are more like "show" bikes, and then there are bikes which have just been upgraded, all coming under the header of streetfighter.

Question is....what is other people's opinions on this.....my opinion is that Bikes that are completely changed from their original design...ie, removal of fairing, removal of clip-ons, and adding drag bars, etc, that are built to be ridden daily are the true streetfighters...where as the "Show" bikes are more just that, a customised show bike, probably too valuable to risk using as a day to day bike.

What do others think?

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, this one has been sorta bugging me for a while, i have moidified my FZ6N quite heavily...read my signature...it tells the tale.

But i dont think it can be called a streetfighter, as from where i see it, it is more a modded bike, not changed that much that it looks like a completely different bike! It has not been trashed, and then re-built completely differently, and most things i have replaced, are just higher spec than OEM but with the same function. Headlight is still OEM, seat unit, still OEM.....etc, etc.

But upon reading the introduction to Streetfighter thread, i see that there are highly modded, \"Rat\" bikes...binned, then re-built, or fully customised \"specials\" that really are more like \"show\" bikes, and then there are bikes which have just been upgraded, all coming under the header of streetfighter.

Question is....what is other people's opinions on this.....my opinion is that Bikes that are completely changed from their original design...ie, removal of fairing, removal of clip-ons, and adding drag bars, etc, that are built to be ridden daily are the true streetfighters...where as the \"Show\" bikes are more just that, a customised show bike, probably too valuable to risk using as a day to day bike.

What do others think?

I think your right... why call it a STREETfighter if you can't take in on the street?

In any case your bike is still amazing :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think your right... why call it a STREETfighter if you can't take in on the street?

In any case your bike is still amazing :thumbup:

Exactly, as far as i am concerned, anything that is so exotic, that it becomes a liability to ride around, and leave somewhere, cant be a streetfighter.

I dont really consider my bike to be a streetfighter, as it looks pretty much like it did from the factory...well sorta, nothing has been radically chopped, etc, and most people, other than real bike nuts dont give it a second glance, as it does look like a "normal" bike...

:thumbup:

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Well your bike fights the streets (unlike real streetfighters :tard:) so in that sense it could be a streetfighter... but yea I guess it really depends on what you or the person looking at it wants to call it... weather its an "amazing bike" or a "streetfighter"

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
A streetfighter is a superbike that is customized by removing the fairing, and making other changes that result in an overall more aggressive look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetfighter, beings that mine came with a fairing, rear fender, chain guard etc... and i have since removed them i could assume my bike to be a streetfigher, its all in what you prefere!

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I originally heard the term "streetfighter" when someone was talking about a Super Sport bike that had the fairings removed and the headlight modded. If you think about it our bikes are streetfighters from the factory. They are stripped down R6s'.

The R6s part looks confusing. I mean R6s not an R6. I felt i had to explain.:D

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I would have to agree with James on this one. The now much more common naked sports bikes are an attempt to create the streetfighter look. However with naked versions being more common now IMO these naked versions don't count as a streetfighter anymore. I would argue that removing plastics on a bike that comes in a naked version will not usually mean it should be classified as a streetfighter. Obviously HUGE changes to the looks of a bike may warrant the designation.

So IMO what now makes a streetfighter bike is also a bike that has had additional modifications done to improve the performance of the bike and change the look of the bike.

Now if you are directly talking about your bike I would call it a streetfighter. Many of your modifications are subtle to someone who doesn't own an FZ6 but the modifications have changed the personality of the bike completely. It has the heart of an FZ6 but the sound, acceleration, powerband, braking, handling, and overall performance has changed drastically. IMO the change of "the look" of the bike is secondary. Does your bike still resemble a stock FZ6... absolutely... but it now longer just a modded FZ6.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion, anything that is naked and modded in an effort to make it look more aggressive and simplistic (clean, no bs or plastics etc...), may be called a streetfighter. Hell if you want to call your naked bike a streetfighter because you feel like a hooligan riding it, then do it! There are no precise rules, so you decide :)

More discussion on that topic at the bottom of this page: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-streetfighter/4988-pictorial-introduction-streetfighters.html

Wolfman, instead of listing your mods, post pics!!!! :)

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to agree with Necrotimus on this one. Even though it may not be a streetfighter by definition it has the soul and feel. It has been so modified it is no longer compairable to a stock FZ6.

...and what are titles really just call it whatever you want its your bike and it doesnt matter what other people want to call it. :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You call it when it looks like Wolfman's, Tom, or any of the three wavex put together.... then start adding in all the other member rides here that have been modded to naked!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You call it when it looks like Wolfman's, Tom, or any of the three wavex put together.... then start adding in all the other member rides here that have been modded to naked!

Oh mine was factory naked when i got it, and i still dont see it as a Streetfighter, but after getting it back today, with new brakes, levers, forks, further suspension mods, etc....i now see it as my ultimate street bike, goes, handles, stops like no other bike i have owned, and it looks freakin hot! Can you tell i am impressed!

Thanks for all the reply's to my question at the start of this thread, there are some great, intelligent responses to a question that can have so many different answers for many different people.

Keep the thoughts coming folks!

:rockon:

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey wavex sorry but i have to say our jealousy causing wolfman has posted ever step of ever mod that he has ever done.

Last edited by a moderator:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Street fighter:rockon:....hmmm. Brings to mind warriors battling it out on the city streets:rockon:. I reckon the bare look of the street fighter is all about weight reduction. It needs to handle and haul 455:thumbup:. If you street race with other riders then I guess you could call your bike a street fighter, but if not then it has street fighter looks when it is stripped down and lightened and has some performance mods added.

My 2 bits.:D

rent-a-reaper

captain caveman!
Reaction score
Visit site
i accept that i know nothing about nothing lol, but imho a streetfighter is any bike that the owner tries to simplify in a way that alters the appearance (ie removing the fairing, changing headlight, etc) A STREET ridden machine that is altered to look more aggressive :thumbup:

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From wikipedia

Modifications commonly made to custom streetfighters
*Clip-on handlebars replaced with motocross-style handlebars
*Raised rear subframes
*Most fairings removed, modified or replaced
*Distinctive paint schemes
*Loud aftermarket exhaust systems
*Aftermarket headlights to replace often heavy headlight setups
*Large rear sprockets to sacrifice top speed for more acceleration
*Larger brake discs than stock
*Improved brake calipers
*Improved springs, shock absorbers, and various other parts to improve the chassis
*Various performance improvements to the engine: superchargers, turbochargers, nitrous oxide, increased cylinder bores, custom porting, revamped fuel injection and timing, etc.

Streetfighter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
From wikipedia

Modifications commonly made to custom streetfighters
*Clip-on handlebars replaced with motocross-style handlebars
*Raised rear subframes
*Most fairings removed, modified or replaced
*Distinctive paint schemes
*Loud aftermarket exhaust systems
*Aftermarket headlights to replace often heavy headlight setups
*Large rear sprockets to sacrifice top speed for more acceleration
*Larger brake discs than stock
*Improved brake calipers
*Improved springs, shock absorbers, and various other parts to improve the chassis
*Various performance improvements to the engine: superchargers, turbochargers, nitrous oxide, increased cylinder bores, custom porting, revamped fuel injection and timing, etc.

Streetfighter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well i have done at least 5 of thses things to my bike.

:D

W

wrightme43

I think you can call it what ever you want.
People call hard tailled chopped trailer queens motorcycles so thats a nice precedent. LOL LOL

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey wavex sorry but i have to say our jealousy causing wolfman has posted ever step of ever mod that he has ever done.

I think i understand this.......Jealousy is a curse. I know that whenever one of my buddies get's a new bike, or a new mod, i am delirious with joy for them.

Anyway, i thought that was what the forum was for, to share with everyone, all the stuff that we have spent our "hard earned" on.

:D

DecepticonDon

Reaction score
Visit site
friend of mine has an '05 r1. he got tired of having a bike that looked like everbody elses. he sold the fairings on ebay and started from there.
flat-black spraycan paintjob
he cut the subframe directly behind the seat and consequently--no mufflers
has tried several different headlight configurations
extended swingarm and raised, yes raised, the bike
think Mad Max hillclimber bike
2Wheel Tuner - Reader's Rides2Wheel Tuner - Reader's Rides
the pictures aren't great, but you can still see that it aint a stocker:thumbup: