What is a good Battery to buy

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I need to get a new battery for my 2006 Yamaha FZ6. The dealer is going to charge me about $100 for the battery and $30 for labor. I'd rather save some money, buy the battery online and do the labor myself.
Does anyone know any good batteries out there?
Any good stores to buy them online?

Thanks.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
stick with yuasa, if the battery is bought through a parts unlimited dealer it has a year warrenty no questions asked! Just remember your bike is fuel injected it will not run without a battery it goes dead and will not hold any charge you are stranded! if you take care of the battery, hence optimate or other battery maintainer your battery will last a long time. the battery in that link looks like a walmart quality battery. You go that way it will die shortly and you will be back.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
go with a name brand, that is the only real requirement, if they are a reputable company that is making the battery then the technology should be all essentially the same and it is just luck of the draw from there.

I also have a concern about buying from e-bay, if batteries are stored improperly (AKA on a cement floor, or on a shelf without recharge for longer than 6 months) then the life will be drastically shortened regardless of build. go with a reseller that carries batteries and knows how to store them the right way, E-bay sellers could have stacks of old batteries on a warehouse floor that they got from a reputable reseller that had to liquidate them because of their own internal quality assurance policies.

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My oem battery went dead in my 2006 FZ6 and I replaced with an Interstate Battery part #Y12B-BS; this is a sealed maintenance free battery, however, you do need to add the acid and charge the battery before installing in the bike. Cost was $108.00 plus tax locally in Illinois with a one year replacement guarantee.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Xtreme Permaseal from battery plus. My 2006 OEM battery died recently. At $60 as long as it lasts a a little over half the life of a $100 battery I have gotten my monies worth. It also comes with a full one year warranty. Hopefully in a few years I will be able to right a review on it.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would go to Walmart! Their warranty is as good as anyone's. If your 06 battery died already, I would say that is a good indication that buying an OEM battery is only going to be more expensive than Walmart. And you can do the install yourself with help from the forum if needed.

Just my $.02.

Lewis

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your input. Great information!
Does anyone know if replacing your battery will void your warranty?

If your bike is more than 12 months after the sale date from the dealer I don't think you even have a warranty?

But even if you do, you changing your own battery will not void it. Batteries, belts, hoses and brake pads generally are excluded from warranties anyway.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
If your bike is more than 12 months after the sale date from the dealer I don't think you even have a warranty?

But even if you do, you changing your own battery will not void it. Batteries, belts, hoses and brake pads generally are excluded from warranties anyway.

The 1 year factory warranty would be gone, yes, but if they purchased the 4 year extended warranty (big waste of money), it would still be under warranty.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The 1 year factory warranty would be gone, yes, but if they purchased the 4 year extended warranty (big waste of money), it would still be under warranty.

True! I was thinking if you just changed the battery, what could go wrong? tck, go wrong? tck, go wrong?....:eek:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
True! I was thinking if you just changed the battery, what could go wrong? tck, go wrong? tck, go wrong?....:eek:

In theory, a battery swap is near idiot proof, as long as you keep the + and - separate and don't short out the ECU somehow (you'd have to try to do it).

Last edited:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
In theory, a battery swap is near idiot proof, as long as you keep the + and - separate and don't short out the ECU somehow (you'd have to try to do it).

If you have never lifted your tank before though I could see how it could be a little scary. After lifting the tank, jumping my battery, putting it all back together (way too optimistic on my part), having the bike not restart and having to lift the tank again to replace the battery I was so ready to go naked so I didn't have to remove those stupid plastic pieces to lift the tank.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have never lifted your tank before though I could see how it could be a little scary. After lifting the tank, jumping my battery, putting it all back together (way too optimistic on my part), having the bike not restart and having to lift the tank again to replace the battery I was so ready to go naked so I didn't have to remove those stupid plastic pieces to lift the tank.

You don't have to remove them, just remove the pivot bolt (the one under the seat that the tank pivots on when you lift it), remove the 2 bolts at the front of the tank, slide the tank back, lift it up, and reattach the tank at the pivot. It sounds complicated, but it's easier than pulling off those inside panels.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

04fizzer, Oscar54 :
The great thing is that I just bought the bike used and it has 1 year left in the Yamaha Y.E.S. plan! I simply called a dealership and they transfered the warranty in my name. The battery itself is not covered by the YES plan (I called the dealer to make sure).

Thanks everyone for their input, this forum is a GREAT resource for a new owner of a (used) FZ6 such as myself!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Just remember your bike is fuel injected it will not run without a battery it goes dead and will not hold any charge you are stranded! if you take care of the battery, hence optimate or other battery maintainer your battery will last a long time.

No - you can push start a very very very dead FZ6...this has been proven time and time again. The "push-start" should be taught in the MSF IMO.

The OEM battery in my 2004 is still going strong after numerous winters, lots of abuse, and without ever being on a tender.