Horn Mod

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
Very simple under $20 mod, to increase your ability to get other drivers attention.
Simple bolt off, bolt on install.
It is the Fiamm freeway blaster lowtone horn. IIRC it is 132 db at 4" It is a whole lot louder than the stock horn.

WOW... I just installed the abovementioned horn... WOW....

did y'all hear that???

IT IS LOUD:thumbup::D:D

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Stebel air horn isn't so shabby. Its good now with a 6 foot hose separating the horn and compressor...it'll be twice as loud once I mount the whole assembly together (as it comes out of the box) right where the factory horn is :D

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
I have an air horn on the Harley and it is loud... if it gets a bit quieter over time put a drop or two on reed that makes the noise. Remove the hose going into the horn add a bit of oil and VIOLA... LOUD will return

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
I just washed my bike and after cleaning and polishing ... etc... I rode it back into the garage and decided to try the horn.

Hmmm sounded like a dead frog trying to croak....you guessed it water got in the horn.

I fire up the air compressor and blow it out... all is well ....Almost

I do not want that problem riding in the rain.... so I take the horn back off and drill two little drain holes in it.

And this time put it on with a bit of the (faster:)) blue loc-tite to make sure it stays in place

All is well ....LOUD .... should drain any incidental water.... and secure :p

W

wrightme43

Thats what I did too. I guess I should of told you. LOL You figured it out though so no biggy.

S

sportrider

Stebel air horn isn't so shabby. Its good now with a 6 foot hose separating the horn and compressor...it'll be twice as loud once I mount the whole assembly together (as it comes out of the box) right where the factory horn is :D
+1 I'll vouge for PCH's horn that thing is almost as loud as a freakin train!!!:thumbup:

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't have a relay at first, but I did eventually. You dont need one if you dont want one, but it'll wear your switch down rather than a relay. I'd rather replace a relay myself.

I had a voltage drop and an ohmmeter wasn't telling me where. I thought it was the switch so I installed the relay. Turned out to be a DPDT switch I was using instead (to switch from stock horn to air horn).

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
It's very simple...no picture required really. Compressor is under the seat, actual horn is where the factory horn is, and I have a hose in between. Some decible reduction due to hose (especially because of the distance) so I plan to paint the compressor black and remount horn on compressor (how it comes when new) and mount the whole thing where the factory horn is. Current horn is held by zip ties (it weighs near nothing) but I plan to make some sort of bracket for the compressor portion.

If you really want pics, I can take phone pics but its as simple as that.

Also, that hose naturally expands a bit under heat...not good. My original plan was to use a 1/4" (o.d.) copper line to prevent expansion and wear of nylon hose.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
the compressor is under my seat now, but to get a few more decibles out of it, I will have a bracket made up and put it where the stock horn was (horn+compressor together). I'll just paint it with black primer so its not noticable.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh God, I hope I don't have to make it :( It's such an awkward looking terminal point on that horn. I'll take a look at it tomorrow morning. I was going to do it today but my ride took longer than usual.

I bought an extra for someone who said he wanted one, but then changed his mind...I plan to put that one on my car :Flash: WITH the factory horn (the dual tones will have a compounding effect, just like interest in a bank...hee hee hee)