Scorpions And FE Kit

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally got a couple of pics right after I washed the bike. These mods I did were definately worth it. I love how the bike sounds now and how the rear is cleaned up. Only complaints, two small exhaust leaks, one right after the cat, and one on the left hand muffler. Very small, but I don't think I can get those clamps any tighter. Oh and the FE kit makes the signals bounce alot, anyone else notice that thing wagging a little bit under there?

watermark.php

watermark.php

Too bad I neglect the truck now, it cleans up pretty nice as well, when I actually wash and wax it, when I'm not on the bike.

gmickey2001

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I have noticed the bouncing, and riders behind me have pointed it out to me.

One of the guys on my last ride suggested I drill a small hole in the front part of the license plate light housing so that I can zip tie the bottom of the black plastic piece to it. This should help stabilize things a bit. I will let you know how it works out once I have a chance to do it.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't notice that things like the lights/signals looked like they'd vibrate more with FE versus the OEM mounting, but I'll have to check it out closer. I do need to find a way to "tie down" the bottom end of the black trim around the exhaust though - don't like the way it just hangs there although most people wouldn't notice.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, about the bouncing, my friend pionted out to me when the bike was brand new that riding behind me was kinda funny because of the way the signals would sway up and down over bumps. I know they did before, but I could never tell how much, they're easier for me to see now if I look back quick, but I don't really know what to compare them to since I didn't see them before. I know they're rubber mounted and they will jounce around some. If I grab ahold of the whole structure it doesn't really move at all, so I guess its just the signals. I just don't want them to come off.

fz6xlr8r

Reaction score
Visit site
Come on birthday! Come on christmas! Daddy wants some new cans too!

You want to know what really sucks????
I work in the motorcycle industry now and I STILL can afford a set. LOL

They look great! I'm jealous.

Ferris

Reaction score
Visit site
The leak may stop as carbon builds up but it has to be really small of a leak. Otherwise they make exhaust paste for just such occasions.

I think I missed it what FE kit is that?

Last edited:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I really love the cans and would recommend them to anyone. I think they're great especially for the price compared to some of the other systems. I was like some of you who didn't have anything yet and was always looking at the other bikes with these pipes, or others, and wishing I had some. Once I finally got them and put them on I loved them as much as I hoped I would, and they're actually growing on me every time I crack the throttle.

Edit: Yea, I actually put a little bit of that exhaust paste stuff on that joint before I slipped the pipes together, but it didn't really set up all the way and ended up kinda spattering out of the leak a little bit, and a piece shot out of the muffler and landed on the wall. The moisture from the exhaust at start up didn't help a bit either. So there is kinda some white spatter on my cat a little, but I am pretty sure with like a scotch brite pad it will be gone, it wiped pretty easily off the rear hugger. It also only really leaks when it's first started, I think once that gets up to temp after a few minutes of riding it closes up almost all the way, you have to really get down there and listen and feel for it once it gets warmed up. Same with the leak by the can. So I am hoping it goes away over time too. Also once it gets put through a few heat cycles, I am going to tighten the clamps again and it might just settle into place. If it doesn't I think it's small enough it's not going to bother me, and i am pretty darn picky about things.

And it's the FAZR6 FE kit. Heard about it at sportbikes dot net and got it off eBay.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think the one on the right hand side (while sitting on the bike) has a straighter shot from the pipe so that one would get "preference" on which direction the air flowed in.

penguinbiker8

stuntin like my daddy
Reaction score
Visit site
when i put my exhaust on it was leaking at first. if you let it run and warm up and run and warm up, the leak will fix itself after the metals heat and cool.

re-pete

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for a set of cans for my 04. Did you have to buy anything else to install them? Did it take a long time to hook them up? Any special tools or anything?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just basic wrenches/sockets/allen wrenches. It took me about an hour or so, but I'm fast like that. And I was SUPER excited to get them on. I didn't have to buy anything extra, but I installed the FE kit at the same time. I would recommend finding some better band style ehaust clamps to use instead of the ones that come with it, I have a small leak on where the midpipe hooks to the cat and have tightened the hell out of the clamp and it wont go quite all the way away. I will probably just live with it though. Man it sucks not being able to ride for soo long because of the great Michigan weather. I miss it. Sorry I haven't been on lately much to answer your questions. I just have gotten busy. I am getting antsy though to get out there when the weather gets a little nicer. I would also recommend for the install to get small containers to put the bolts into as you take them off, and then you can just reverse that order to intall everything and not mess anything up.