Frey Daytona - Shorty boots

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I just received my boots. Since this brand is usually expensive and not too many reviews can be found I figured I should write my thoughts about it.

This brand is the way to go if quality matters to you... Daytona Shorty boots is the most cheap pair the company makes and quality was a "wow" factor the moment I opened the box. The leather is really nice and it "feels" expensive. It is also perforated on the sides. If you would like a winter edition of this boot, it is available with a different name. (daytona®).

The boots have some padding inside the ankle hard protection. The amount of padding reminds me of my SIDI vertebra II boots (if that helps for comparison purposes). The design is really nice for use with jeans and casual clothing and it is comfortable right from the start.

In short:

I like:
- Comfortable for wearing all day long, right from the start. Soft leather means no break in period is really necessary to be comfy
- Quality material used
- Good/durable construction
- Sole has good grip
- Has nice padding around feet, makes the boot even more comfortable
- The lettering is sewn on the boot, so no fading out here.
- Boot has perforations on both sides (see pics)

Didn't like:
- sole seems soft, it may wear out fast. I'll report on this as time goes by.
- the toe protection could be more substantial/harder. It is not bad but it could be better.
- sizing is a bit misleading. I usually wear a 42.5- 43 shoe (for eg NIKE) and Daytona 43 feels way to big. An additional insole solved the problem instantly though.
- no hard protection on shin. This is a short style boot and only has padding on the upper part.
- the way the sole looks on the back of the boot.

Overall I feel that this is a quality boot that will protect my ankle if I ever had an accident but it's protection features come nowhere near a racing boot. I was looking for a boot to use instead of normal shoes for short rides and for the office on casual Fridays. For this use I feel that I got my money's worth.

I will post pics as soon as I can get them uploaded.

Last edited:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like good boots. Where can I try some on to see how they feel? I need a good pair for the road. Thanks:rockon:

I wouldn't know about the US. I basically risked it and ordered a pair from ebay. Had no previous experience with the boot or the brand

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
daytona®-dealer in the USA

Helimot European Accessoires (all products)
1141 Old Bayshore Hwy., San Jose, CA, 95112-2808, U.S.A.
Phone: 00 1 4 08 298-9608, Fax: 00 1 408 271-3955

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Gconn, those are pretty sharp looking. Is there a zipper or laces, or only velcro to close the boot?

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Gconn, those are pretty sharp looking. Is there a zipper or laces, or only velcro to close the boot?

Only velcro but there's plenty of it as you can see in pics.

EDIT: I just went for a ride. What seemed funny to me was that I didn't feel any air flow through the perforations....:confused:

Last edited:

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up. I have a pair of Frey Daytona Road Star GTX. These boots are the best piece of motorcycle gear I own. I paid $275 for them in 2002 and have about 20000 miles on these.

They are Gortex lined, very rainproof, warm in the winter and don't get overly hot in the summer. They are extremely comfortable and can be worn all day.

I paid the bucks at a local retailer because I have a 4E wide foot. These were the only boots that fit my foot correctly as they come in 4E widths. While I didn't want to pony up the money back then I am very glad that I did.

One thing about the soft sole. The sole is designed for maximum grip and made from soft rubber. Mine has been worn down. The boots can be resoled by Frey for $150, which is a lot, but compared to the now prIce of $399, I'm going to get my boots resoled.

John