Hella 70/80 Yellowstar H4

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently installed these on the bike to gain some more visibility. I didn't want the Nokya's because they were too yellow and I didn't want the hassle from the local PD.
The Hellas are higher wattage (70/80W) than recommended, but the harness seems to be fine. I have the BD43 DL mod. They have a diachronic filter on the glass. Yellow and blue.
The bulbs look to be well made, but there is a caution here. Hella stopped making their own bulbs a long time ago. They are now made in China and and stamped with their logo. European made bulbs are much higher quality (OSRAM, Philips, Narva, etc) but pricier and don't have a good yellow bulb without dropping a good amount of Lumens. These have higher than stock Lumens and still have the yellow (more like gold) tint. Win, win.
So, here are some shots. They are shot on a very dark road, with the same settings on the camera. Sorry for the blur, I was sitting on the bike.

Low beam: Notice how the beams seem to cross? Yellow on the left and blue on the right side of the road.
IMG_4981.jpg

High beam: Notice how the beam illuminates much better. Before I hardly noticed the difference when switching HB on. Trees are lit, better peripheral vision, much farther down the road. I can tell there's a left turn coming up!
IMG_4982.jpg

Now here's a shot comparing the blue bulb I have on the left, and the Yellowstar. The first is looking down directly in front of the bike.
IMG_4983.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

I really like these two together. The road is well illuminated and best of all cars take notice. I have had several cars move over and not change into my lane. I really like them, now to see how long they last.

Last edited:

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Any links to where you can buy the bulbs?

And whats the advantage of having the two different bulbs instead of having them both the same? (might be a noob question but oh well gotta learn some how right?)

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get them several places. I actually ordered mine from Amazon. Just search for Hella Yellowstar H4

As for the 2 colors, why not? Honestly no real reason. I guess it helps with visibility, eyes tend to pick up the contrast. The yellow should help with increasing contrast on the road, and the white/blue helps keep the light level perception up (usually yellow bulbs seem dimmer even if they put out more light).

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get them several places. I actually ordered mine from Amazon. Just search for Hella Yellowstar H4

As for the 2 colors, why not? Honestly no real reason. I guess it helps with visibility, eyes tend to pick up the contrast. The yellow should help with increasing contrast on the road, and the white/blue helps keep the light level perception up (usually yellow bulbs seem dimmer even if they put out more light).

oh ok, I was just seeing if there was a real advantage to having two different bulbs like that :thumbup:

Nice set up btw

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Update..
The Yellowstar burned out the low beam. :(
Not more than a few months of riding. Bad news. I really like the illumination, but it's not worth the short life for me. Too bad.....
Looks like I'll go with the Euro spec bulbs after all.