Track Day tire pressure

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
So I'm wondering what I should have my tires set to. I read that 30 psi all around was a good starting point, but that's below the recommended pressures on the swingarm and the tires themselves.

I currently run the swingarm recommendations (34psi front, 38psi rear).

I'm going on Friday for the first time. Advice?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The tires you're running would be worth mentioning as the optimum pressure will differ from tire to tire all things held constant.

So I'm wondering what I should have my tires set to. I read that 30 psi all around was a good starting point, but that's below the recommended pressures on the swingarm and the tires themselves.

The mfg reps themselves will recommned pressures such as 30/30 depending on the tire and conditions. Furthermore, if the guys at tech inspection are good, they will ask about your tire pressures (especially if you're in novice group) and probably require that you drop them to an acceptable level. This will probably also be mentioned in the morning riders meeting.

You can call your manufacturer and ask for a cold/hot pressure recommendation for the intended use if you so desire. Otherwise you can just speak to people at the track and on here.

I currently run the swingarm recommendations (34psi front, 38psi rear).

I'm going on Friday for the first time. Advice?

I run my pilot powers at 36/38 on the street and bump up the rear to 42 when I have a passenger. When I used to run pilot powers at the track I went with 30/30 when dry and around 32/32 when wet [as recommended by track side Mich. reps].

Have fun....let the tires warm up....smooth is key.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It will depend on how warm the day is.

A good place to begin is probably 28 F, and 30 R. Take a reading while the tires are cold, just before you go out, and a second reading immediately after the session has ended. A good rule of thumb is a 2 to 4 psi increase in pressure.

Now once you get up to speed and are comfortable on the track you may want to add or decrease the pressure.

Read your tires after the lunch break too. If the morning is cool and the afternoon is hot you may need to readjust.

I started with 28/30 and after my first session I was at 30/33. I was in the range so I left it alone. I had no problems through out the day with traction so I left it alone. When I go back I may drop the pressure by one or two psi, I'll have to see.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
The Michelin rep will be @ SoW this Friday for your event. Just ask him or one of the guys from TrackDaz, they will have a definitive tire pressure that will last all day for you.

You didn't mention brand, type or amount of wear of your current tires. If they are marginal you will be asked to replace with acceptable rubber before they will let you through tech inspection. Be prepared..

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a 20% used qualified rear and stock bridgestone front

And the rear is a 190 take off?

Miles on the front?

Fist track day? You think you'll be hauling? If so, I wouldn't waste a track day on tires like those...track days are just too expensive and crashing sucks too much to run questionable tires. Just my $0.02

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Do I think you're going to go into session 1, lap 1, T1 and fall on your head? No I don't...but a great condition 190 and x,xxx mils front sport touring tire is certainly going to limit what the bike is capable of....that's all. A 190 on our bike is pointless unless you got a killer deal (which you did) or you simply like the look and don't care about cornering performace.

A fresh set of sticky 120/180s would inspire confidence and provide cheap insurance IMO. At this point, I would stay at home before I went to the track on tires like that (and no I'm not being dramatic) but it probably would not have been much of an issue for my first track day...I have no clue what kind of pace you expect to run though.

No sense wasting a track day and/or wadding up your bike when you could have spent $240 to get some sticky rubber and then remounted your current set at a later date. I'm not telling you you're crazy to go there with those tires, just speaking my mind is all. It's not like you're going for a weekend ride...you're going there to haul a$$.

Last edited:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a 20% used qualified rear and stock bridgestone front

Uh oh..It's very unlikely that you will be allowed on the track with this setup, and for good reason. Here is their own bike prep page: TrackDaz -- Information

Trackdays are a pricey hobby, with tires being the highest incremental cost. As Defy stated, put on fresh rubber (either now or purchase at the track) or stay home. This isn't canyon riding, you will be pushing harder as the day goes on and your current setup WILL let you down.

We only are thinking about your well being.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
are the vendors on the track as expensive as the dealers? I'm heading in this afternoon to get gauntlet race gloves...maybe I should get a Qualifier front and bite the bullet since it'll be mad $$.

as for the rear...i do mean that the rear is 80% tread life still there...are you skeptical because it's a 190? I've talked to a race instructor and he thought the rear would be fine. I didn't ask about the front :scared: lol

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
At every track day I've been to they have had better than online prices on sticky rubber with free track side mounting (if you can take the wheel off at the track) which I was always able to do. As an alternative to the qualifer front you could get a all new set....

From the website cali_rider posted:

For you trackday riders out riding with us in 2008, Racers Edge and Precepts Motorsports will be at all TrackDaz events in 2008 to fulfill your Michelin tire requirements. These tires REALLY WORK!! Try some!!! [email protected] or call 661-209-4062

TrackDaz -- Information

call them and ask what the deal is....depending on how early they open the gates, you might have to miss a session.

Just throwing it out there.....I need to get back on the track....it's been too long! Living vicariously through you.

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you end up using the 190 Qualifier rear and a new qualifier on front, or did you go with a Michelin set from the track?

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I run my pilot powers at 36/38 on the street and bump up the rear to 42 when I have a passenger. When I used to run pilot powers at the track I went with 30/30 when dry and around 32/32 when wet [as recommended by track side Mich. reps].

Have fun....let the tires warm up....smooth is key.

That's weird, the Michelin reps recommended I run my pilot powers at 37/37 on the track... actually, 2 reps said that the PP have to be ran very high, -even on the track- compared to other manufacturers...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Well, I'd say they know their tires better than anybody. If a Dunlop rep was at the track, I'd have asked his opinion, but they weren't so I just went with recommendations from instructors :)